33 Million of Cost/Savings Per Annum

icepick239

^ There are lots of these " taped up " posts appearing all over Shetland, an absolute eyesore and safety hazard. Presumably this is some sort of interim measure until " proper " end stops are put on them. I assume the posts cannot be removed due to the power cabling, maybe not long before we see a few fly feeds running from them! :wink: Time will tell. :shock:

The cabling will depend on where it comes from. EB or a private feed. If it is EB, the cost is quite high to disconnect and then connect again, if it was a private network, it would be up to the authority to do the disconnection.

A few years ago, there was a program of carbon reduction, however, the funding went from this. The lanterns are not cheap, nor is the installation.

For an EB discon here you are looking at about £400 plus the reconnection to a new column.

Looking at the image, there is an abundance of light, so I doubt loosing one or two along that stretch would be a problem, as for being dangerous, well, firstly, watch where you are going and secondly leave it alone.

I try not to go with the knee- jerk anti-management 'rhetoric' often spouted here - I know the pace of change in the SIC must be putting a huge burden on managers. However, Orkney council has done a full restructure and ended up with 18 senior officers.in the SIC there are approx 35 directors and "executive" managers. There are things that we maybe have to do that Orkney doesn't, so I'm not saying the same number is appropriate, but I can't believe that, 2 years after our restructure, they cannot now identify more management streamlining. I am not saying all these managers are not working very hard, but the pace of change and cutting of staff below them doubtlessly means they are having to juggle a lot of operational work that should be done by someone on a lower grade. When we are doing ridiculous things like 'saving' a few thousand by shutting public toilets, structure needs looked at again. One higher manager's salary can probably fund a few toilets. With 2 directors leaving, it's time to look at restructure again. I don't know the council in detail, but I'm sure you could, if you allowed them to stick to purely higher strategic matters, get some of these executive managers to cover a couple of departments. Bump the rest down a few grades, and keep them to an operational role. Instead, I understand some depts are taking on more managers to handle the cuts!

Then how do you explain how Orkney can manage to do with far far less than we do ? I rest my case.

The managers arent going to find cost savings that are going to put their jobs at risk , surely nobody is daft enough to believe that !?

The are holding on by a thread and they know it , so any "savings" they can conjure up to make them look good will be found , thereby securing their vastly overpaid jobs. None of them are going to do themselves out of a job......

The managers arent going to find cost savings that are going to put their jobs at risk , surely nobody is daft enough to believe that !?

The are holding on by a thread and they know it , so any "savings" they can conjure up to make them look good will be found , thereby securing their vastly overpaid jobs. None of them are going to do themselves out of a job......

you dead right there, managers have been told to find savings, thats why staff and services at the ends have been targeted, as its the small things each manager has to cut, where if decisions were made further up the tree we might find the best saving would be the cut of the managers and leaving end of line services/staff as is.

also the SIC had 100's less staff but does it still have the same amount of staffing/personell/HR staff and the same amount of people prosessing wages with less staff to process? think they seem to be a lot of folk in the big white hoose.

Exactly. Many has been the time the council has taken flack for hiring outside "consultants", but this is the one time I'd have no quibble whatsoever of bringing in an outside "hatchet (wo)man" to hack away all the dead wood and "manufactured" jobs.

Quite apart from saving personal and mates arses, nobody that is already part of the "system" can see the wood for the trees as far as what a ludicrously structured and managed organisation it is.

Objectivity and impartiality to the task can be no higher than zero when anyone already of the council payroll is tasked to do it.

People to cost effectively and effectively deliver the end user service and a chief at the top where all bucks stop are necessary, everything else inbetween should be temporarily set aside and a management structure drawn up on a clean sheet, which only includes positions that are vitally important to ensure cost effective and effective functionality of the level(s) below them - the fewer layers and fewer positions between service delivery employees and the chief the better and cheaper the system will be.

From Mr Paet :-

as for being dangerous, well, firstly, watch where you are going and secondly leave it alone.

Depends on the length of your arm or whatever other conductive item you ram down the hole Mr Paet ! :roll:

Leave it alone, that could be said about any column, if you want to interfere with it, then it is your problem. I suppose, yes undo the tape, put arm down, remove fuse carrier, remove protective shroud over live.... yadi yadi

Perhaps then report it, ask for a follow up then get on to your councillor, but, we should remember, no one has any confidence in the council, so, they would mess it up further, so, leave it.

Why don't folk seem to want to do anything?

You all have these ideas of how things should be done yet do nothing and expect other folk to take charge, then moan because they do not do it how you think it should have been done.

Yet, you allow less than 2 dozen folk dictate to you, mistreat you, rob you, let you down time after time, not represent your views, let community buildings fall down, close community assets and lie to you. That is the council according to here.

Thank doG about the army of keyboard warriors.

Viva la revolution

529032_490626380979394_635634825_n.jpg

....yes undo the tape,....

After over 18 months the weather is doing a fair good job of that already on the one here, plus the plastic sheeting is showing some signs of not being in the best of health for the same reason.

It kinda raises the question of how long a "temporary" remedy is supposed to last, and how long it lasts before it defaults to being a "permanent" repair.

Why don't folk seem to want to do anything?

You all have these ideas of how things should be done yet do nothing and expect other folk to take charge, then moan because they do not do it how you think it should have been done.

Yet, you allow less than 2 dozen folk dictate to you, mistreat you, rob you, let you down time after time, not represent your views, let community buildings fall down, close community assets and lie to you. That is the council according to here.

Despite the advances in modern communication technology such as video conferencing etc, no system exists whereby a member of a local public body can satisfactorily discharge their responsibilities of membership, without actually being physically present at meetings held by that body.

In a nutshell, those of us too cripple to get there and still remain functional, are excluded from holding public office by the practicalities of how those bodies choose to conduct their business.

Surely not everyone on here is in the same predicament as yourself, though I do appreciate your condition, especially when you do venture out, you are messed about with inaccurate road descriptions and miss events. I have heard similar bias against others who have tried to make their mark on the islands.

It shows there may still be some prejudices that still need removing.

You asked "Why don't folk seem to want to do anything?"

I can only speak for myself. Excluded from becoming involved in directly influencing the system by the system's rules for active participation. What once upon a time would have been known as "pitten oota daeks".

• 4 months later...

Much as I loathe to quote the Daily Fail, sometimes needs must....

Coming to a street near you "next year", perhaps?

"Dead because there were no streetlights...."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513271/Warwickshire-County-Councils-decision-turn-street-lights-contributed-death-Archie-Wellbelove.html

Edited by Ghostrider