33 Million of Cost/Savings Per Annum

icepick239

Can someone explain the Community Council cuts to me?

From what I understand the usual money which is being doled out to the Community Councils is being reduced. However, the £60,000 or whatever it was, is being ring-fenced so any Community Council or Community Development group can apply for grant funding for projects.

So how can this be called a 'saving' or 'cut'?

Presumably each project would have to stand on it's own merits to qualify for funding so they might not necessarily get the money but equally it wouldn't take long for £60,000 to disappear over the whole of Shetland.

If I've got this wrong please explain it to me.

I wonder if this is to replace the grants that community councils won't be able to make in 2013/14? The grant they get will barely cover their clerk's salary in future. The granta re usually for small things lik an OAP club's Xmas dinner or the youth club going on a camping weekend. I don't see how centralising it will help.

I wonder if this is to replace the grants that community councils won't be able to make in 2013/14? The grant they get will barely cover their clerk's salary in future. The granta re usually for small things lik an OAP club's Xmas dinner or the youth club going on a camping weekend. I don't see how centralising it will help.

Just how much do CCs pay a clerk?

Just how much do CCs pay a clerk?

It varies from community council to community council depoending on how much work needs done by them but it is generally a few thousand a year.

Remember , they have , not long ago , paid out £400.000 to consultants to see about the feasability of fixed links to the other isles...........the other isles ???!!!! God almighty they've spent millions and millions on the bressay bridge and they havent turn a fael yet.......... !!!!!!! You really couldnt make it up. They cant get one thing off the ground first before trying to create more problems. :evil: :twisted:

seriously.

the council and trust havebeen paying the leckybills. why. yes they folks are old and infirm/vunerable but so are those in the community in their own homes. they have spent the eqivelent of 2.1 million on these 200 homes. i wonder if the other elderly folks would have liked an extra 500 quid a year.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/6401-sheltered-housing-tenants-shocked-by-cut

we must wonder what other gifts like this are going on. that saving alone would cover the freefield centre.

• 2 months later...

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/6733-poor-money-management-created-sic-crisis

I knew that there were a LOT but, 958 Full Time Equivalent employees in Community Care (Social Work?) is a mind boggling figure given that our total population is just over 21,000. Jobs for everyone not just 'the boys'. Little wonder that the SIC total wage bill is pushing £100,000,000.