33 Million of Cost/Savings Per Annum

icepick239

Had this been a private business that had lost £4.8 million though sheer mismanagement, someone would be joining the ever lengthening dole queue.

Whether it is this, tugs, or whatever, why is it there is never any accountability? No one is named, and no one is ever forced to go over these massive blunders.

4.8 Million is only a part of the total cost of the "Brig Fiasco".

Those accountable are the councilors, plain and simple. Yet, as always, whan election time comes around they will make a few financially miniscule promises like keeping Freefield open and all of a sudden the fact they are the the same people who throw away millions of pounds on a regular basis will be forgotten..

So who was the "legal advice" (either internal or external) who persuaded the council that keeping going until they were fighting it out with the LPA in the High Court was a sane, viable, and VFM route to take?

As far as I am aware "we" have not been told who or what "legal advice" was obtained, which leads one to suspect that either they didn't seek "legal advice", or a certain Convenor temporarily donned one of his many "other hats", the one of one time lawyer, and provided his own.

I guess the only way to find out though, is for "the people" to sue every councillor who rubber stamped the whole deal, and see who squeals loudest.

I can't help but think that there's something far from right in the way that the SIC are imposing drastic cuts so they don't have to draw too much money from the Charitable Trust, yet the Trust has just set a budget for the next three years without imposing any cuts themselves.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/3388-trust-budget-offers-stability.html

Bottom line seems to me that now my Granny can't get her meals at Freefield, yet I can go have an entire swimming pool to my self for an hour at a location of my choice!

I can't help but think that there's something far from right in the way that the SIC are imposing drastic cuts so they don't have to draw too much money from the Charitable Trust, yet the Trust has just set a budget for the next three years without imposing any cuts themselves.

They are imposing drastic cuts on Council revenue spending so they do not have to draw so much from their own capital reserves.

The Charitable Trust money is a separate pot, outside the SIC finances.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I noticed two little things that the council have done presumably to help reduce the deficit. A notice in the Viking Bus Station warns of a 20p charge for parcels handled at the rural freight centre while the library is warning of a £1 charge for borrowing films from the DVD collection. Do not suppose either of these will raise a fortune but as a potential user of the rural freight centre and a user of the DVD collection I applaud both. Looks like somewhere in the depths of the SIC someone is thinking. I have a few ideas for things that could be done but for the moment I am just going to watch to see what the SIC does next.