33 Million of Cost/Savings Per Annum

icepick239

If they want to save, they could consider introducing a variable commencement date for grass cutting contracts - there's a squad going through the motions outside my window right now, that have nothing to cut that wasn't therelast september....and if there'sno more growing at the Ness than that because of this cold spell, there's certainly less growing further north.

Grass nowhere in Shetland exceeds an inch of growth before mid-May, any year, starting cutting a month from now and saving 20% of the contract cost would bother nobody.

^ Isn't it a requirement that Tenants are responsible for maintaining their gardens unless they have a disability? They're cutting next door's grass too!

They are, of course, leaving (it would appear), the grass that is the joint responsibility of the owner of this flat (not me) and the Council. Why do SIC Housing not charge those who have bought council flats service charges as is standard elsewhere in the UK? Whilst Housing has to be reliant upon the income it generates from the housing stock alone, by charging service charges for private owners (ex-council stock), it would generate surely some much needed income?

• 2 weeks later...

Your right Piddley...Thy stopped all the grass cutting for disabled and pensioners over a year ago.

It is supposed to be that the disabled get priorety for repairs ( according to SIC Charter) but thats a load of bull **** as well been waiting 3 yrs to get dodgy steps that lead to the house sorted and have mentioned it to every candidate that has come to the door...Got the usual waffle back ( if you vote for me) well me thinks there is little between what they are all stating in their leaflets...

My son has the right to vote but at the last election I was advised not to let him vote as he was Downs and would not understand what he was doing so the paper was taken back and torn up.....How many votes like his go downt the toilet?

IMO he is fast becoming one of the invisble ones.....

My son has the right to vote but at the last election I was advised not to let him vote as he was Downs and would not understand what he was doing so the paper was taken back and torn up.....How many votes like his go downt the toilet?

IMO he is fast becoming one of the invisble ones.....

You what? Did anyone actually ask your son? This wasn't done at the polling station?

http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/News/Moray-unveils-320M-spending-plan-17012012.htm

I wonder what Moray's spending plan would be if they had £250 Million in reserves !

Moray has been through spending cuts recently too.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1408532

Published: 23/09/2009

FINANCE bosses admitted yesterday that a spending freeze at Moray Council may not make the crucial savings required within the next six months.

The local authority’s action plan to cut expenditure includes suspending job vacancies and hiring staff on temporary contracts

@snow from the Electoral Commission http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/116906/Disabled-people-voting-rights-factsheet-GB.pdf

A person who is

registered to vote or who has been officially appointed as a proxy voter cannot be refused a ballot paper or the opportunity to vote on the grounds of mental or physical incapacity.

I've been involved with politically active people with Downs, as with every condition there are are varying degrees, but NO ONE is allowed to say you son is unable to vote. If it was an official at the polling station it should be raised in Edinburgh. Sorry but reading your post really wound me up :evil:

Maybe this belongs elsewhere but, when I went to vote last night, there were 4 people there to administer proceedings when, up until the last election, there were just two.

Does it really need 4 people to handle the voting numbers is Scalloway? Might have been a bad time of day but, I was the only person in voting at the time.

How much extra do the additional two people cost us? You can bet that they don't do it for free and, my guess is that in addition to their normal wage, they are getting either overtime or a lump sum.

Who does their work while they are engaged in this activity or, does the SIC employ a group of people whose sole responsibility is to manage election booths?

Do they still get paid for their normal 'work' whilst they are doing this or do they volunteer?

What happened to the time when 'prominent' members of the community were engaged to perform this function? I didn't recognise any of the 4 who were there and I doubt very much that any of them would have recognised me.

The extra money involved may not amount to very much but, it would chip a little off the amount saved(?) by closing Scalloway School...