SIC Elections - 3rd May, 2012

Mutley

I think you can safely say from the list who are currently 'undecided' that these WILL certainly stand again: Alastair Cooper, Betty Fullerton, Robert Henderson, Bill Manson, Cecil Smith and Allan Wishart.

It appears to be part of the strategy to keep quiet about these things at the moment in the hope that this will minimise public debate about individual failures and achievements. The former rather than the latter it has to be said. Cooper, Manson and Wishart are, after all, steeped in Viking Energy. - will that affect votes?

Betty Fullerton to stand for the south end someone said? Most probably as there won't be much chance of re-election in her current ward. Will be interesting to see who comes out from under the bush over the next few weeks.

At least credit to those who have nailed their colours to the mast at this point. Wonder when those above will?

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/01/17/at-least-six-councillors-to-stand-down-before-election-in-may :?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mutley - you forgot to mention that Caroline Miller is also a director of Viking Energy - with the convener not standing this time and as Alan Wishart is project coordinator of VE, we need a non-VE candidate for Lerwick North to have some kind of balance and to give voters a chance to show their preference.

Any takers :?: :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

One thing perhaps the Shetland Times might do for us is produce a table with the difrent subjects like Cinema, windmills, Judane, or trust info and other diffrent subjects/information which has happend since the last election, and if the diffrent councellors voted for it or not. Everyone then can deside if they want to vote for them again - or not ofcourse!

^ All that info should be in the public records anyway.

Folk here could pick a Councillor and do the work.

May be a separate section just for the elections, present Councillors could be listed and those who want to be can put their piece.

Just to add, any FOI requests do cost the Council officer time, swamping them with FOI requests should be avoided really, especially for info that is already published.

It may need a dedicated unbiased moderator.

Could you be thinking of standing Mr Pick?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I alone in being uneasy about the number of people who have said they will be standing in this election after retiring from a career which in several cases was with the council?. Just not convinced that I want to see people who have retired from the council, the police and wherever else running the council. I want to see a selection of people from many walks of life rather than a few running the next council.

Do not get me wrong. The individuals concerned might well make good councillors and I would consider any standing in my ward on their merits but it would be good to have a broader selection. Women might be good, the working man (or woman), young people, ethnic minorities.

No I will not be standing before anyone asks. There is a good reason for this. I suffer from stress and I can assure you that I would agonise over having made the wrong decision about something critical.

None of the new faces that say they are standing have seemed candidates to set the heather alight so far, but I hope I am proven wrong.

Problem with the job is that unless you are unemployed, have your own buisness/ financially secure or in most cases retired then the money is not high enough for people to be able to do it.

The individuals concerned might well make good councillors and I would consider any standing in my ward on their merits but it would be good to have a broader selection. Women might be good, the working man (or woman), young people, ethnic minorities.

Problem with the job is that unless you are unemployed, have your own buisness/ financially secure or in most cases retired then the money is not high enough for people to be able to do it.

It is worth mentioning that an employee of the council cannot stand to be a councillor and stay in their job. As the council provide employment to a higher number of ladies than of gentlemen (thanks, perhaps, to the flexible working, and slightly less chance of being chucked out of a job if you become pregnant) that might explain why there are fewer ladies in a position to get involved. That or they have childcare commitments and a part time job that would frown upon them leaving to go to meetings.

I understand that they don't want to pay councillors too much, but it's not really accessible for anyone that doesn't have a supplemental income, and has bills to pay.

Would be interested to hear other people's opinions on why more young 'uns don't get involved.

Am I alone in being uneasy about the number of people who have said they will be standing in this election after retiring from a career which in several cases was with the council?l.

Nope, your not alone. If you look back, there have been a large percentage of councilors who were ex council employes. I would like to see more people from various backgrounds.

It seems to be the norm " take early retirement, with a nice renumeration, then become a councilor. I think a council made up of fewer ex employees and more people from various walks off life would be a better balance.

Mind you on saying that, I do think that George Smith has the right attributes to make a good councilor. Perhaps he should be my exception tae da rule ! :D