SIC Elections - 3rd May, 2012

Mutley

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to say I now have information from all the candidates as a mix of leaflets, their manifestos in the Times and on the Times website. Think I have got the candidates ranked in my order of preference although there is still time for someone on the doorstep to change my mind. (Postal vote getting sent on Monday).

So now an open message to all who moaned about this council. Get out there and cast your vote. Only by doing that will you have earned, in my opinion, the right to moan about what the next lot do.

And a personal message to all the candidates. Really hope that none of you end up with an insultingly small share of the vote.

only got 3 leflets and noone at my door, its a no vote to them that dont bother

Even if their manifesto is the best?

We got a leaflet yesterday in a handwritten envelope with a stamp on it! Obviously he's not too good with money or he has far too much of it.

As a retired postie I know that a mail drop (household delivery) without envelope or stamp would have been much cheaper.

Funny you should say that, I got a letter from the postman which had not been franked.

Some may not have the funds to leaflet everywhere. You talk as if they all get money to campaign. Election expenses are generally paid for by the individual or/and their supporters, all of which has to be accounted for and declared within a set time for public scrutiny. Making a choice to vote on the ability to produce and deliver a leaflet is daft, it shows the lack of understanding. Many candidates have produced web sites, blogs and facebook sites, they have also grabbed the media.

Some may only leaflet where they or their agent think it will do most good.

The poor show is normally the public, who cannot be bothered to vote.

Whilst I'm not overwhelmed by what I see on offer you can't expect every candidate to get to every single door in Shetland.

I'm sure many have made the effort to get out and about but just because they didn't give you a personal audience doesn't mean they're not worth voting for.

I'm sure with all the leaflets and advertising you'd be able to get their contact details and make the effort to contact them.

We got a leaflet yesterday in a handwritten envelope with a stamp on it! Obviously he's not too good with money or he has far too much of it.

As a retired postie I know that a mail drop (household delivery) without envelope or stamp would have been much cheaper.

As the guy in question doesn't have a post office nearby (and hasn't for a long time) he may not of known that was an option.

Mine seemed to be addressed to me and my brother as a married couple :shock: bit of a poor show as everyone else at this address got one individually.

Have yet to feel I really want to vote for any of them, I find local politics up here slightly depressing, every candidate seems to be looking back in their manifesto not forward.

Some may not have the funds to leaflet everywhere. You talk as if they all get money to campaign. Election expenses are generally paid for by the individual or/and their supporters, all of which has to be accounted for and declared within a set time for public scrutiny. Making a choice to vote on the ability to produce and deliver a leaflet is daft, it shows the lack of understanding. Many candidates have produced web sites, blogs and facebook sites, they have also grabbed the media.

Some may only leaflet where they or their agent think it will do most good.

The poor show is normally the public, who cannot be bothered to vote.

I have always voted (the one exception being in the referendum for the scottish parliament - I was off the island and despite requesting a postal vote, never received one), and have always, until this year, had a selection of leaflets and/or people along the door. Still just have the one leaflet and no-one along the door.

In the information I have seen from the prosective candidates (which I have had to go looking for) there is a huge amount of pussy-footing around the issues - not making it clear what their stance on hot topics really is. I'm finding it really difficult to find three people to vote for in my ward as a result.

It's little wonder that people can't be bothered to vote, when candidates can't be bothered to ensure that people know what it is that they stand for. Having said that, I will be voting - and contrary to your very bizarre idea that I am making the choice based on who leaflets (considering I have already stated I won't be voting for the one who has), my votes will be going to people that haven't. But maybe only two as I'm struggling to find the 'least worst' out of the remaining candidates standing.

every candidate seems to be looking back in their manifesto not forward.

Spot on there.

I want to know what prospective candidates aims are for the next 5-25 years, yet most seem focussed as you say on what the last council did, or the very immediate future.

Unfortunately I have yet to have a candidate come to the door to ask, and while I know contact details are there, I kinda thought thats what this period of time was for.

I must say well done again to the ST and SN, if they hadn't encouraged input some of us would know nothing at all about many candidates!

The one candidate that knocked on my door has jumped one place on my list as a result of his efforts. But to be fair rural Shetland is not the easiest place to canvass relatively few voters scattered over such a big area.

Now of course I hope that the candidates I ranked 1,2 and 3 on my form are going to win tomorrow but I am sure that the others are standing with good intentions and will do their best for this area if elected.

And to remind all those entitled to vote tomorrow to do so or fail from moaning about the council for the entire term they are elected for.

Does Da Flea intend to close Dunrossness and Cunningsburgh Schools if elected or just all the rest? Does anyone know his view on these schools?
Da Flea, if elected, cannot close any schools. Do not overrate his power. He can vote for closure if that comes before the council, perhaps even propose a motion saying that the schools in question should be closed but he cannot close them.

We have ha one guy actually knock and speak to us. Seemed nice enough. Very friendly and played with my dogs. Only one to actually attempt to speak to me. Rest have either just posted through door or said " I'm running for council here's my leaflet" and left!