SIC Elections - 3rd May, 2012

Mutley

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The election in 2 weeks tomorrow so voters have to have made their decision by then. In fact voters like myself using a postal vote will have to have made their decision a few days before the election so their vote can be counted. Yet at the moment I have had a leaflet from just one of my candidates, no doorstep canvassing at all and indeed I have no knowledge at all about why I should vote for one of them. If they have something on-line it is not on the news site I have been following.

So wake up you dozy lot!. Tell the people why they should vote for you rather than someone else. Perhaps even tell people why they should vote at all.

Guest posiedon

^ Likewise, one leaflet from the seven candidates and that was from the meenister, who has as much chance of getting my vote as I have of going to heaven :lol:

Both the Shetland News and the Shetland Times Online have offered all candidates a good choice of ways to reach those online.

It is quite telling the difference in quality of submissions from candidates, and especially interesting is the ST "blog" format letting candidates debate issues so we can see (to a small degree at least) how they perform in that aspect.

Like others above, we have yet to see anyone face to face or even a leaflet so far. Not much time left now folks!

I'm very disappointed to see so few raising the issue of the forthcoming Scottish Independance referendum and what it will mean for Shetland.

However I was very heartened to see Davy Sandison state "The centralising, command and control tendencies of the SNP at Holyrood must be resisted at all costs" and it was good to see Michael Stout raise the referendum issue from a Shetland perspective.

Will Shetlanders rise to the challenge though or just stay at the latest Tesco deal and "I want speed bumps in my road" level.......

Unfortunately, but entirely understandably, much public focus seems to be on the uncertainty of school closures.

Whilst "I will do my best to save the school" is obviously a powerful vote-winner with many, I fear it will only lead to the education review becoming even more political, instead of logical and practical as it should be.

Realistically, I think many parents (and others) understand closures are enevitable, but lets see some sort of long term plan instead of "out of the blue" threats and "last minute" political saves.

Well, I've just had the SNP guy at my door and I take my hat off to him(and I said so) for going door to door on a day like this.

But.....when I politely pointed out that my own leanings are for full Shetland independance or even a return to Norway then he was totally flumoxed.

He said something about that this could happen in an independant Scotland(erm, how??).

I said well actually the SNP have had 6 years to show Shetland how they would treat us in an independant Scotland and all they've done is centralise everything.

To my disbelief he disagreed and said "well no" and at this point the blurb that came from him was unfathomable......

This is an open message to the one candidate in my ward who has not yet told me why I should vote for him. Tomorrow week I will sit down and read whatever I can find from each candidate and decide in which order I will mark my preference. Any candidate I have no information from will be treated in the same way as any who I refuse to vote for and will not get a mark on the sheet. Now is that clear?.

This is an open message to the one candidate in my ward who has not yet told me why I should vote for him. Tomorrow week I will sit down and read whatever I can find from each candidate and decide in which order I will mark my preference. Any candidate I have no information from will be treated in the same way as any who I refuse to vote for and will not get a mark on the sheet. Now is that clear?.

Perhaps they find 'campaigning' a challenge ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-17784731

The Shetland News has a page with statements from some of the candidates here

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/election2012.html

A few of them have taken up the offer from Ronas Media to have videos posted.

Thank you for posting that, not all candidates have bothered to come out or like one lk north cadidates have got kids to bung leflets in doors, or they have just a webpage, so actualy getting contact personally to some of them is vaired. Having all the info in the one place is most helpfull.

My number one is remaning the same, as last time, but the fight for number 2 votes is harder. Some i don't think i will even give them a number.

This is the time i could do with a performance indicator on the big subjects like Mareel, windmills, highschool and some other high profle decisions taken in the last council, and if they or their family has coined it in over the time. Knowing who did what may help in the decission making prosess.

Justme, it would be a good idea to state tjr ward you are in if you are keen to encourage candidates to venture to your door.
Not stating my ward is deliberate. I am a "floating voter" who is reading all I find on-line about the candidates as well as anything that comes through the letter box. But am going to assume that any candidate not bothering to use on-line or direct communication is not worthy of my vote. But I think if the same applies to candidates in other wards then maybe my stance will prod them into action.

Notice they have one extra chance. The Times next Friday is meant to have statements from all the candidates who have given them one.

Thank you for posting that, not all candidates have bothered to come out or like one lk north cadidates have got kids to bung leflets in doors, or they have just a webpage, so actualy getting contact personally to some of them is vaired. Having all the info in the one place is most helpfull.

My number one is remaning the same, as last time, but the fight for number 2 votes is harder. Some i don't think i will even give them a number.

This is the time i could do with a performance indicator on the big subjects like Mareel, windmills, highschool and some other high profle decisions taken in the last council, and if they or their family has coined it in over the time. Knowing who did what may help in the decission making prosess.

I'm probably the guilty party - I'm Michael Stout, standing for Lerwick North and Bressay, and pressganged my son and daughter to post leaflets while I was talking to people in the area. My rationale was that it was better to try and give everyone my leaflet so they could read it first, and I am continuing to knock on doors, and will be doing so for the next ten days (when I'm not distracted by Shetlink...)

Not being retired or of independent means, (and sadly neither me nor my nearest and dearest have coined it in..!) I have to fit my canvassing in with work, and am reasonably pleased that I've managed to speak to a few hundred already!

My thoughts on windmills are here: http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/04/19/candidates-as-divided-as-public-over-windfarm

And election address here: http://www.shetnews.co.uk/election2012/3823-michaelstout.html

Currently trying to condense it into 400 words for Shetland Times on Friday....

Contact details are - phone 01595 820218

mobile 0788 4024788

email mike.stout@virgin.net

or look for me on facebook - happy to answer questions or hear your thoughts or opinions... and if you wanna see my ugly mug in person (and realistically I cant guarantee to

see everyone in the ward) I would also be happy to arrange a time to meet.

Hopefully you should get some idea of what I am standing for from the info available, and use your vote, even if its not for me!

Guest posiedon

We got a leaflet yesterday in a handwritten envelope with a stamp on it! Obviously he's not too good with money or he has far too much of it.

As a retired postie I know that a mail drop (household delivery) without envelope or stamp would have been much cheaper.