children with step fathers/mothers

blondie10

What is everyone's views on this subject.

A couple who have a child. They split up and both have new partners and more children with those current partners.

Do you think its acceptable for the child to call the step father/mother 'Dad' or 'Mum', when they still have a true father or mother. Who may of been stopped from seeing the child for various malicious reasons and the current partner has only been present in that said childs life for a year.

In my own personal opinion i think it is very wrong. If either parent is still trying to stay in contact with that child and be part of their life still i think they only truely have one mother or father.

I believe it confuses the child. And the heartache the biological father/mother has to endure is unacceptable.

This said if someone is adopted, absent father/mother then yes i believe it is acceptable.

I am not in this current situation myself - i am just simply wondering what other peoples views are on it.

I personally feel it is not something anyone outside a particular situation can comment on. As every scenario is different and each story is has its own history and emotions.

The important part is the child/children's happiness and the adults involved should make this their main priority. If that cant happen then it is up to outside authorities to help in mediation and guidance. It is definitely not for outsiders to gossip about.

I knew of two families like this, when the children were young it was Daddy Kev and Mum, though that changed to just Kev. Same thing with Mummy Julie, though as the children grew up it was Julie, not Kev. The children had the separation and new family bit explained quite well and without trying to hide it or feel ashamed.

My son calls his step dad "dad" this was a choice he made when he was about 7, he is now 14 and continues to call him "dad".

His biological father took nothing to do with him from the age of 2. I remember the day when he asked "since J*** does stuff with me like dads do with thier sons, can I call him Dad? will you ask him for me Mam?"

I would never have asked him to do it

I agree with Twerto. It depends on the individual situation and is ultimately the childs choice. I personally don't think it would be right if the child's mother/father were telling the child to call their new stepmother/stepfather mum or dad when the child is not old enough to decide for themselves.