Shetland Dentists

BigMouth

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was at the Dentist yesterday, the lady that saw me was chatty, friendly, easily put me at ease (I am dental phobic and have been since having 2 teeth out 30 odd years ago on the old fashioned gas and being ill for a considerable amount of time, this was not in Shetland I might add).

She wants to see me again in 6 months and I look forward to it !!

• 3 months later...

Here's the latest on the NHS dentists waiting list, as told me by someone who's just been up to Montfield to check how far down the line he is.

He kidded the receptionist that "The waiting list is probably about seven years now" and she went away and came back and told him that it's actually only six years, and they're currently up to folk who registered in 2005....

The Brae NHS dental surgery has a new policy of not booking appointments a long time in advance - |I think they book a maximum of three weeks ahead. That has massively cut no-shows and increased efficiency.

You can get an appointment there very quickly (I was offered first, the chance to wait half an hour, then to come back next day; this for non-emergency work) even if you're not in pain, and the standard of treatment is exemplary in my experience.

^^ Ditto. They know I work from home so the last few times they've called asking if I can go in for a check-up at short notice, in perhaps half an hour or an hour's time. Obviously filling what would have otherwise been a gap from a no-show or cancellation. Excellent. All done and dusted within an hour and I've not even had that feeling of the dentist's appointment looming..

Here's the latest on the NHS dentists waiting list, as told me by someone who's just been up to Montfield to check how far down the line he is.

He kidded the receptionist that "The waiting list is probably about seven years now" and she went away and came back and told him that it's actually only six years, and they're currently up to folk who registered in 2005....

Hmm, yeh, but there was an article on Radio Shetland a month or two ago about more dental staff being taken on and a section of the existing building being converted into more surgerys .

It might not happen over night but it's maybe a glimmer of hope....?.

:)

can u register as a patient in Brae if you live in a different area?

Yes. After recently "liaising" with Montfield and expressing my concern re the dental waiting list, I have been advised that Brae has a much shorter waiting list and you can register there. Err, why don't you advertise that fact, I asked ... silence in response.

it took two years to get on the brae list and only then because most of us needed work doing. bixter caravan is open twice a week it maybe worth trying them as well. a very friendly dentist. the lady denist at brae is great as well. however they have had bad ones as well in the past.