Shetland Dentists

BigMouth

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is travelling to Edinburgh who is needing dental treatment you can always go to the dental hospital. They have trainee dentist there and you often get treatment at a reduced price or free, i think you need to fill out a questionaire as well when you visit.

It's an option if it's not emergency treatment you require and you don't want to pay private rates.

If anyone is travelling to Edinburgh who is needing dental treatment you can always go to the dental hospital. They have trainee dentist there and you often get treatment at a reduced price or free, i think you need to fill out a questionaire as well when you visit.

It's an option if it's not emergency treatment you require and you don't want to pay private rates.

I wasn't sure about this as the dental school in Edinbrgh closed in 1994. However I found this if you want to take this option.

http://www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk/emergencies/KM0121%20Dentists%20poster.pdf

• 2 months later...

As of September all of Alan Owen's patients will be de-registered with the NHS.

As most people have heard he is retiring, and unless the Health Board steps in 2300+ more patients will be on Montfields waiting lists.

Unless the Health Board steps in to take over the 2 other dentist's contracts 5000+ patients will be on Montfields waiting lists.

It is going to be a huge blow to Shetland, and the staff (which I am part of) are only starting to realise how big it's going to be, so I hope Shetland takes notice before it's too late. :(

What are the options here for clients of the Owens then? I am one of them and its a bit worrying as I have been a regular there for probably 15 years.

Cheers

Everyone will be getting letters at the start of June about their continuing care, I'm afraid there isn't going to be much we can do unless the Heath Board find someone to take on the patients. :(