Shetland Dentists

BigMouth

also, me ma mum and peerie sister have bin on a waiting list fir 3 years just tae register wi a dentist. really is a sorry state o affairs

Mmm ... time for some publicity perhaps?

.......But don't blame the dentists for trying their damndest to treat folk to the best of their ability (that's why they swore the Hippocratic Oath) despite all the crap the current government throws at them........

I am not sure what the crap the current government is throwing at them, but I think that it may be something to do with how much they can claim for treating people. Please correct me if I am wrong. I have yet to see a poor dentist.

In my lowly paid and crappy job, i work overtime every week because we dont have enough people to do the work that we need to do. I don't have to do the overtime, but I feel morally obliged as if I didn't do the work my colleagues would have to. Why do the dentists not feel some moral obligation to tackle the backlog by putting on extra surgeries? Especially as people's health and quality of life is being affected?

I can imagine the difficulties that they have recruiting professionals to these shores, but so do other companies. Other businesses tackle the shortfall by more innovative recruitment and working harder to make up for the shortfalls.

Whether this is the fault of government or dentists, it is people like me that are not being treated. We have become 2nd class citizens in our own health service.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Just got a letter from the Schools dentist telling me I need to get my daughter a check up with the dentist. Well I did that back in December, first available appointment was in May. It's all fine and good telling me I need to get her seen by a dentist but it seems to take 6months to get non emergency treatment. When/why did the school's dentist stop treating the children? You see kids dying in the States from not being able to access the dentist.

Does anyone know anything about the tollclock dentists? Looks like going to have to go down the private route just to get the bairn seen under NHS - again. But need to know they're not going to kill our teeth like previous private dentists that have set themselves up in Lerwick.

I find it really weird that people are complaining (Although I 100% believe that your complaints are valid) because I know people who have had pain in their teeth and needed dental work and literally got a slot overnight.

:?

I'm just glad that I haven't need to go to the dentist in about 6 years.

^^^^

There are reasons for having your six monthly check up, just hope it's not too late for that tooth or your jaw when toothache hits.

Being in Aberdeen of course your nearest NHS Dentist taking on patients would be in Tayside or Buckie. Not having seen a dentist in six years means you are no longer registered with one so that means you're only entitled to emergency treatment when you find one willing to treat you. Lost 3 of my dentists in Aberdeen when they went private.

Good news: You'll get NHS dentist for toothache agony. Bad news: You're 6,836th on waiting list

I know it is costly, but I value my health above my money.

It's only a shame the powers that be don't share your values.

As for me, I pay as I go over here (private dentists are a lot more affordable). If I can stand the drill without a local anesthetic then I pay a little less.

For the last 3 years I was private, mainly so I could have a dentist for the bairn, know folk in Aberdeen who were amazed that I found a private dentist willing to take children (they're not allowed to charge for treatment on children - except for treatments not covered by NHS).

I suffered years of agony due to the "Reform Lane Butcher". He left me wary of anyone setting up a private dental practice in Shetland.

Even with a private dental practice it usually ends up cheaper if you do your twice yearly check ups and hygienist.

Hey I even was lucky enough to find a homeopathic dentist totally by accident. Before anyone asks no they don't replace the anesthetic or conventional medicines, but they will give you advice and supply small amounts of homeopathic medicines to compliment your treatment.

Guest posiedon
MJ

Before anyone asks no they don't replace the anesthetic or conventional medicines, but they will give you advice and supply small amounts of homeopathic medicines to compliment your treatment.

That's because homeopathy doesn't work, and they know it! :roll:

I fully sympathise with your frustrations. I was registered with the Montfield dentist but taken off the waiting list because I hadn't booked an appointment in 18mths... I had in fact tried to get an appointment but couldn't get one in the periods I was back home from university. I could get emergency treatment if I phoned at 8.30am in the morning though. Again, the estimated registration waiting list was 3-4yrs. But in Glasgow, I went to one of three dentists on my street a few months ago and asked to be registered. No problem at all. Upon asking how long I would have to wait, I was told there was no waiting list and I had a check up the next day - even more surprising when you consider this is an NHS dentist. Whenever I've made an appointment I've been seen within 2days, or 2hrs for emergency cases. The same goes for all the dentists in my area. Just goes to show some places have got it right.

^ Is it safe?

Having never had my teeth drilled, I have no idea how unpleasant this would be but I imagine it's "lots". This then raises the moral question of whether the practice should be allowed to profit on the anaesthetic.

Of course I can't comment on the entire Lithuanian dental profession, although on the whole it seems to be quite good. The waiting lists are short and the service seems to be as good as (or better than) other parts of Europe.

The private practice I use has been used by the rest of the family for many years. Some patients point blank refuse local anesthetic, but the choice is always there. The dentist usually advises on this. i.e. if it's only minor drilling that's required she may suggest trying it without an anesthetic; however, if it proves to be too painful you can always change your mind.

The service is fast and friendly. My stepdaughter had bad toothache on the eve of a school trip and the dentist saw her at seven o'clock that same evening. That's what I call good service.

I've had teeth repaired here which I know from past experience would have been extracted in Lerwick. I was also told I needed major repairs which would cost several hundred pounds in Lerwick; it turned out to be minor repairs here.

I take your point about the morality of profiting from the administration of anesthetic. People on low income may choose to suffer rather than part with the extra cash. I've never had any drilling done which has touched the nerve. I can only imagine this would be excruciatingly painful.

If you choose not to go private then you'll get full treatment. If you go private you must pay for all the medicines and materials used.

It's nice to be spoilt for choice. I only wish I could say the same for the Shetland dental service.

MJ

Before anyone asks no they don't replace the anesthetic or conventional medicines, but they will give you advice and supply small amounts of homeopathic medicines to compliment your treatment.

That's because homeopathy doesn't work, and they know it! :roll:

How do you know homeopathy doesn't work? Have you actually visited a trained medically qualified practitioner or is this just your own personal opinion with no practical experience?

You can quote as many medical research papers as you like but sometimes it's interesting to note who's funding the research.