Shetland Dentists

BigMouth

Guest posiedon
How do you know homeopathy doesn't work?
Because I'm well read on it.

This is from a "practitioner"

The remedy was made from the focussed light of the planet Venus. It was given to a number of people, without them knowing what it was, who recorded the symptoms they then experienced.

VENUS PROVING.When I read this web page I thought it was a parody.

sense about science...

I think the Lancet is a pretty good source of reliable information.

A recent Lancet paper1 compared 110 homeopathy trials with

110 conventional medicine trials. The authors found that the

higher quality trials offered strong evidence that conventional

medicines work and no evidence that homeopathic preparations

work. In other words, the better the research, the less effective

homeopathy appears. Over a dozen similar analyses have arrived

at the same conclusion: that homeopathy does not perform any

better than placebos.

Fair Deal Homeopathy Surely an oxymoron :lol:

Carefully selected ingredients are diluted and shaken (homeopaths call this shaking process "succussion") beyond the level where there is any active ingredient left in the solution. This "remedy†" is then dripped onto sugar pills which are mailed out to you immediately.
Remember, homeopathy of any kind is not a substitute for real medical advice or treatment.
That's the words of the charlatans that are selling the stuff! Covering their backs against litigation.
Homeopathy works through a complicated interaction with the human body and mind known as the "placebo effect".
Again, this is from the people selling the stuff.
there are no side effects (unless you're diabetic, allergic to sugar, or water) as there are neither actual medical effects, nor active ingredients in the remedies!
Yep, this is from the numpties that expect you to buy their sugar pills.

I could go on, but you get the picture? Apart from the piece in the lancet, these statements are all from proponents of what can only be described as woo, woo medicine, they don't do a very good job of "promoting" what they are selling, due to not being allowed to lie in their advertising.

I can find pages and pages of peer reviewed articles that destroy the claims made by homeopaths, but non that support their claims.

All the bold text in the above, was highlighted by me.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I recommend looking up my favourite preparation, unfortunately as it's not licenced in the UK I have to get it when in Germany. ALL the doctors I have asked agree that it's unfortunate that it's not available in the UK. When I have a severe attack it usually requires a week or more off work, antibiotics (until recently prescribed by a homeopathic GP), semitol, decongestants, paracetamol and ibuprofen. These tablets give relief within the hour, even to people who do not believe in "woo, woo medicine".

They're called Sinfrontal

I usually try to avoid the quacks, which is why I always recommend seeing some one with a real degree as apposed to someone (if you're lucky) attended a weekend workshop.

Now if you're so anti homeopathic how about biodynamics? It plays quite a big part in Organic farming does that mean organic farmers are practicing "woo, woo" farming?

• 10 months later...

I just had my eighth tooth out recently and it has been there since I was 9 years old. And I never had a visit from the dentist since they had a discussion about it, (which was 3 years ago, the last I saw them) I remembered having problems with my teeth and it ruined my life after tooth decay.

With it out, I've learned not to eat a lot of sugary things (well, almost! :lol: )

I just had my eighth tooth out recently and it has been there since I was 9 years old. And I never had a visit from the dentist since they had a discussion about it, (which was 3 years ago, the last I saw them) I remembered having problems with my teeth and it ruined my life after tooth decay.

With it out, I've learned not to eat a lot of sugary things (well, almost! :lol: )

It is up to you to go and see the dentist, not for the dentist to come to you. I'm not surprised you have dental problems if you leave it 3 years between visits.

• 6 months later...

(** mod edit - merged **)

Having just been told that I need my first 2 fillings, then being told that the NHS doesn't do white fillings.. apparently they think teeth are metallic coloured... :wink: I was looking to getting private white fillings.

Does anyone use private dentists in Shetland and has anyone paid for white fillings? If so, how much? I imagine it'll be around £100 per tooth since Shetland is small and the privates can have a bit of a monopoly on it, so I was just going to wait until I got to Aberdeen, but we'll see what people say here.

Mr Tinkler (sp?) at the Alan Owen dentistry is a good un. I've had that many fillings from him I cannae mind how much the various colours have cost... but around £40 each sounds right. I've certainly had white ones and dinnae mind them being any more (or at least hugely) expensive. Phone and ask and maybe they'll tell you straight out 01595 695769.

Hope you like injections :twisted:

how about a dentist staring what would be expensive dental treatment for you just when you were beginning high school and then not giving you appointments or contacting you (ater pulling out loads of teeth and you trying to contact them). when they finally do get their finger out their backside half way through treatment and start charging you a fortune for it even though you were told it would still be free as it was their fault for not contacting you?

thats what annoys me :-) hope it kinda makes sense...i have a brain like mushy peas today. :-)

Does anyone use private dentists in Shetland and has anyone paid for white fillings? If so, how much? I imagine it'll be around £100 per tooth since Shetland is small and the privates can have a bit of a monopoly on it, so I was just going to wait until I got to Aberdeen, but we'll see what people say here.

can recommend a great private dentist in Aberdeen, depending on the work needed a white filling should cost around £30.

If you go to st olaf st though they'll do private work, and amazed at how reasonably.