The Dialect and Place Names of Shetland (1897)

Scorrie

http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924026356406/cu31924026356406_djvu.txt

During the years 1893-94-95, Mr Jakob Jakobsen,

Cand. Mag. of the University of Copenhagen, conducted

an exhaustive series of investigations into the remains of

the old Norse language in Shetland. Some of the re-

sults of his enquiries are embodied in these two Lectures,

which were cast in a popular form, and were delivered

at Lerwick and other places in Shetland before the

author's return to Denmark. Other results of his in-

vestigations are contained in his Thesis entitled, " Det

Noronne Sprog paa Shetland," which was accepted by

the University of Copenhagen as entitling him to the

degree of Doctor of Philosophy.

Lerwick, September, 1897.

To my deep sadness my peerie niece has just, in the last hour, used the word "seagull" in reference to a skorie.

The best way to preserve the Shetland dialect and revive some of the old names/words would be to have a selection of bairns tv programmes/dvds translated into Shetlandic.

I see no reason why it couldn't be done and I'm sure it would fly off the shelves in sales.

So why hasn't it been done yet?.

To my deep sadness my peerie niece has just, in the last hour, used the word "seagull" in reference to a skorie.

The best way to preserve the Shetland dialect and revive some of the old names/words would be to have a selection of bairns tv programmes/dvds translated into Shetlandic.

I see no reason why it couldn't be done and I'm sure it would fly off the shelves in sales.

Yea - hit wida lekly aa been da maa at dis time o year no a skorie – a lok of folk caa a maa a skorie nooadays fur as du says dey ir nae right lear fur da da young eens nooadays :cry:

I actually support the work being done to preserve Gaelic because it's the same principle, but woe betide them if they try to bring it into Shetland.

Infact, I notice dat quite a few of the government agencies(i.e Crofters Commission) are using Gaelic name plates/writing/adverts even here in Shetland :evil: .

Yeh, I ken it's really a Maa but even if da bairns caa'd it a Skorie dat would be beyond words better as "seagull"....... :(

Digital tools 'to save languages'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17081573

Facebook, YouTube and even texting will be the salvation of many of the world's endangered languages, scientists believe.

Of the 7,000 or so languages spoken on Earth today, about half are expected to be extinct by the century's end.

Globalisation is usually blamed, but some elements of the "modern world", especially digital technology, are pushing back against the tide.

North American tribes use social media to re-engage their young, for example.

Digital media have probably encouraged more folk to write in Shetland than anything else.

I can't link the this website on here but if you google (the English companions),

perhaps a website similar to this , would create more interest in Shetlands Norse history.

There's a couple of different formats on the mainpage for this article (left hand side).

You can even download it to kindle, it would appear!

HTH:

http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924026356406

:)

the grammer and usage of the shetland dialect was reprinted but i do not know if it is still available if it is would it not be good for the younger generation to have a copy available in every school to let them see da midder tongue

Is it wrong to learn your mother tongue? There is so much history in it, so much heart and feeling. Without it, Shetland is just another island, just another point in the flow of oil. Everyone's speech is so bland now. Don't let it die!!!

Dis wis my bairn, an i wis as suprised as dee, teen a back i wid say,(no sae sure aboot deep sadness though) pat her straight aboot it an moved on, i spik me normal tounge tae my bairns an even translate ony stories i'm readin tae dem tae dialect, (even peppa pig :lol: ) i blame da schools for no supportin da local dialect an tv, i mind when i wis at school i had tae knap, don't tink you wid hae tae dae dat in da gorbles or da lik :(