Animals/Pets section in Classified

Frenchie

Given the sheer amount of pet and pet related ads on shetlink, not to even mention the hens, sheep, goats etc I really think the site would benefit from a section in the classified specifically for animals or animal related items (carriers, feed troughs, etc). I know I'm not alone in this as several of my friends have quite independantly voiced the same thing!

Think it's something we could look forwards to in future?

• 1 month later...

This definately would be a big help surprised it hasn't been done yet.

A lost and found section would be helpful too.

I do wish people would take down their adverts when they have sold the item/items or found the cat/dog etc. The whole of the classifieds needs tidied up old posts deleted etc...

I agree, although in that regard I know I sometimes for one get frustrated trying to navagate the site to find my ad and either alter its status to sold or take it down and eventually give up. Perhaps an automatic deletion after a month or two would be good? People can always repost ads after all

Standby for being unpopular:

I'd ban pets being advertised in the Classifieds. Time and time again you see adverts for someone wanting a puppy only for approximately four months later, said puppy is more than they can cope with and you see the poor thing being re-advertised. Granted, we have the problem with the likes of the Dogs Trust not doing their fair share to assist with rehoming dogs here but perhaps if there was a more effort between the SSPCA and the various animal rehoming centres on the Mainland, things might change.

I understand your point, but I think that's more an issue with the people themselves and anyone silly enough to rehome a dog to people that really dont have a clue what they are taking on. I firmly believe the seller is responsible for making sure their animal goes to a suitable home. I for one having rehomed a litter of puppies myself and having taken a dog off an advertisement on here that was exactly put in that position (taken on and readvertised just days later because the people that took him were cluless about the type of dog and how to handle him...) would both never dream of letting someone take on an animal unless they could convince me they were prepared for the reality of it and knew what they were doing, and in the event that something happened that they couldn't keep it on anymore, I would insist they return it to me to rehome myself.

Personally I think that unfortunately the situation you refer to will happen regardless of where people advertise (on here, in a window, facebook, the news paper etc), stopping animal ads on here is unfair on everyone who treat getting an animal sensibly or those looking to sell on/rehome livestock or animal related items like cages etc. What we really need to do to prevent that from happening is have stricter guidelines about the selling/rehoming of animals. I for one am of the firm belief that people should need a permit to own an animal and athorities should have the right to revoke it if they clearly don't have a clue what they are doing.