Shetland Telecom

smeghead

I was wondering if anyone has any more info on this other than the update on the 21st Dec on thier website.

News update 21st December 2011

So finally, after much effort, anguish and sitting at traffic lights, the first leg of fibre in the SHEFA2 Interconnect Project has been installed, tested and has passed the performance criteria set in the tender.

The next step is to finish the connection to the designated point of presence (POP) in Lerwick, which is behind the Town Hall and to the SHEFA2 cable in Sandwick which will connect us on to the rest of the world.

All things being equal we will connect the first real user in February 2012.

More news on the who, how, where and when's to follow.

I notice that BT are going to be installing ADSL2+ later this year, does this mean that now Shetland has done the hard work, BT are gonna slip in behind them and finally use the capacity of the SHEFA2 interconnect that they have been leasing since the cable was installed?

At least we should be able to benefit from the cheaper rate broadband packages that come with unbundled exchanges!

I was wondering if anyone has any more info on this other than the update on the 21st Dec on thier website.

News update 21st December 2011

So finally, after much effort, anguish and sitting at traffic lights, the first leg of fibre in the SHEFA2 Interconnect Project has been installed, tested and has passed the performance criteria set in the tender.

The next step is to finish the connection to the designated point of presence (POP) in Lerwick, which is behind the Town Hall and to the SHEFA2 cable in Sandwick which will connect us on to the rest of the world.

All things being equal we will connect the first real user in February 2012.

More news on the who, how, where and when's to follow.

I notice that BT are going to be installing ADSL2+ later this year, does this mean that now Shetland has done the hard work, BT are gonna slip in behind them and finally use the capacity of the SHEFA2 interconnect that they have been leasing since the cable was installed?

At least we should be able to benefit from the cheaper rate broadband packages that come with unbundled exchanges!

Who said they were unbundling ther exchange ?

Sorry for the lack of updates on the website. Things are bit frantic here at the moment.

The basic update is that we are waiting on a delivery of active equipment to 'light' the fibre. We have been working with Faroese Telecom on the final arrangements to give us connectivity all the way to London. That agreement is to be signed off on the 9th of March.

On your BT question - Your guess is as good as mine. Their plans seem to be changing all the time and although we inform them of everything we are doing they don't tend to reciprocate.

It is our understanding that the ADSL2+ upgrade is due to happen in August. Hairyian will explain the difference between an upgrade and unbundling.

Cheers

Marvin

It is our understanding that the ADSL2+ upgrade is due to happen in August. Hairyian will explain the difference between an upgrade and unbundling.

Cheers

Marvin

Good job I have been paying attention at the back !

"BT" ADSL2+ plus upgrade involves BT installing new equipment. But the thing to remember is this does not automagically increase everyones speeds.

The new service only happens after your connection is transferred from the old equipment to the new equipment. There is cost involved, so it is up to the ISP to place an order. Some ISP's will do this automatically, but not necessary anytime soon. They may do it as one big move for all their customers, or perhaps a few at a time. Some may wait until their customer asks. Again, depending on ISP, customer may have to pay more and / or start a new contract, whilst others just simply have you moved across.

LLU - Local Loop Unbundling. This is where an ISP puts their own ADSL equipment in the telephone exchange. This requires serious use of the cheque book, so a service provider usually is very sure of getting a significant number of customers before they do it.

The most common arrangemnet is where the telephone service stays on the BT equipmet and the ADSL goes on the LLU operator kit. This is partial or Shared Metalic Path.

A growing version is full unbundling, where the telephone service also is connected to different kit to BT. In this case BT Openreach still own the cable between the exchange and the property, but everything else is non-BT.

Cheers for the update!

I appreciate the fact that your pretty busy and wasnt expecting such a detailed update, it's a good thing you take the time to do so :D

Many a person has wasted many an hour attempting navigation through BT's computerised telephone help system to get an answer about anything!

• 2 months later...

According to SIBC a puffin laid an egg and this was "relayed by new Shetland Telecom fibre optic connection". I take this to mean the flux capacitor is now connected to the inverted displacement warp mutex array?

Ahem. Anyway, from what little I've heard about the link progressing, this sounds like a big *public* milestone to me :D

One question: are we there yet?

So is it the puffins that are responsible for reducing the speed of Shetland Broadband by 80% or so these past ten days, Marvin?

Yes, the peerie blighters have been on piratebay.com downloading films 24/7!!

Seriously though, I've not been aware of any problems Malachy. Is this ADSL customers or Vidlin/Fetlar?

There has been a problem with customers in Vidlin/Fetler not being able to connect to iPlayer. The reason for this is that we are using new ip addresses which do not appear (yet) on the BBC database. The BBC have been contacted and they say that they use a 3rd party service for managing their databases and they only update them periodically. They are trying to rectify the situation.

Yes, I'm in Vidlin. And since the problem that occurred in Vidlin school the weekend before last, our speeds have been, as I said, 80% slower than previously. Ian also said he wasn't aware of the issue, but BT have been known to say the very same thing, and it doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one.

We also have the problem with iplayer, which we're hoping will be resolved soon (?) and an apparently similar issue with our Vodafone SureSignal, which stopped working the same evening. Vodafone are (slowly) looking into that one.

Hi Malachy

I've just had Ian run some diagnostics and the link to your door is running at top whack.

Could you disconnect your router and plug the ethernet cable directly in to your computer and see if that sorts it.

I suspect that the router may be problem.

If that does not solve it get back to me and I'll drop along later....

iPlayer should be working to a fashion now.

Cheers

Marvin

Hi Marvin

Just tested it and got 0.4 mbps through the router and 1.25 mbps when plugged straight in. That's obviously better, but still much slower than we were getting two weeks ago.

Is it possible there's some problem between the 'receiver' thing outside and the router?

Still no iPlayer either.

Cheers

Malachy

There shouldn't be a problem betwen the receiver and the computer. It's just a standard ethernet cable.

If you are getting 1.25Mbps connecting directly and 0.4Mbps when using the router then it's a problem with the router (which in turn will be causing problems with the SureSignal).

We are in the middle of 'prime time' at the moment... so 1.25Mbps is probably the norm. When I got Ian to check at 4pm you were getting 9.6Mbps. The contention on the C&W link from Vidlin to Lerwick is the issue. Could you repeat the test (plugged directly in to computer) at about 9pm tonight and let me know how you get on.

I might have a spare router knocking around at the house you can get.

Ian is working on the iPlayer problem.

Cheers

Marvin