Same-sex marriage

Should Same-sex marriage be made Legal  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should Same-sex marriage be made Legal

• Yes
    • no

Shetland_boys - I voted no.

I don't see why gays should be able to have a civil partnership certificate or a marriage certificate; it should be one or another.

Now if they abolished the civil partnership so you were left with marriage certificate, then I would probably vote yes, but as Ghostie has pointed out, it is the background re marriage that would be problematic.

Take divorce. You have rights under a civil partnership on par with those under a marriage certificate. Now if you decide you want nothing from your ex, the Sheriff has the right to intervene and say "Tough, I think you should get so and so" - why? Why, as Ghostie pointed out, can't it be private between two people?

What about poly couples (EDIT - or groups)? Why can't those people choose to marry more than one person? Are their rights lesser than those of gays?

What harm would legalising same sex marriage do to you?

Would it make any difference to your life?

As for poly couples, the world is becoming more openminded and im sure there will be someone standing up for there rights one day.

I think I have stated my views above quite clearly IAH so why you want me to explain further, I don't know. Are you saying that you want civil partnerships abolished and replaced with marriage?

Therefore, I'm not answering again your first two questions but yep, although I'm definitely NOT poly, nice to see that you appear to see where I'm coming from.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I don't mind getting told off for going off topic

If that was aimed at my post, I am sorry, it certainly wasn't mean to be telling anyone off, I am just curious about the topic question which is "Should same-sex marriage be made legal?" - which has, as far as I can see, zero to do with the church.

It is the church, or rather, religions, which are leading the opposition to same-sex marriage. Granted, not all of the churches, some of the more liberal ones are putting humanity ahead of dogma. But the lions share of the opposition is coming from the religious whose various holy books declare it an abomination.

If it weren't for the religious lobby, then this would be a non-issue. That's what makes discussing religious attitudes relevant to this topic.

What I think is interesting is the way some of the churches like the CofE are tearing themselves apart over the issue. The more liberal parts in the UK and US seem to be largely ok with it, but the more conservative elements, based mainly in Africa, are screaming bloody murder.

It's an entertaining bunfight. :twisted:

Shetland_boys - I voted no.

I don't see why gays should be able to have a civil partnership certificate or a marriage certificate; it should be one or another.

Now if they abolished the civil partnership so you were left with marriage certificate, then I would probably vote yes, but as Ghostie has pointed out, it is the background re marriage that would be problematic.

Take divorce. You have rights under a civil partnership on par with those under a marriage certificate. Now if you decide you want nothing from your ex, the Sheriff has the right to intervene and say "Tough, I think you should get so and so" - why? Why, as Ghostie pointed out, can't it be private between two people?

What about poly couples (EDIT - or groups)? Why can't those people choose to marry more than one person? Are their rights lesser than those of gays?

What harm would legalising same sex marriage do to you?

Would it make any difference to your life?

As for poly couples, the world is becoming more openminded and im sure there will be someone standing up for there rights one day.

I think I have stated my views above quite clearly IAH so why you want me to explain further, I don't know. Are you saying that you want civil partnerships abolished and replaced with marriage?

Therefore, I'm not answering again your first two questions but yep, although I'm definitely NOT poly, nice to see that you appear to see where I'm coming from.

Cool, yes i do understand your views, i wasnt having a go, you are entitled to your vote, i just wonder what difference it would make to someones life if my boyfriend and i were legally allowed to marry. We are no lesser than anyone else yet i feel we are treated as so.

Cool, yes i do understand your views, i wasnt having a go, you are entitled to your vote, i just wonder what difference it would make to someones life if my boyfriend and i were legally allowed to marry. We are no lesser than anyone else yet i feel we are treated as so.

To explain my stance a tad more then: if gays were allowed both civil partnership and marriage yet only one option was available to hetros, then wouldn't hetros be being treated as lesser than gays? The difference to my life, as you put it, would be that by voting for both options, I wouldn't be being fair to hetros (unless both options were also available to hetros) and that wouldn't sit well with me.

To make it fair then should it not be OK for any couple living together to get married, for instance to get the tax breaks 2 brothers or brother and sister could get married, and I do not mean for sexual activity (necessarily)

To make it fair then should it not be OK for any couple living together to get married, for instance to get the tax breaks 2 brothers or brother and sister could get married, and I do not mean for sexual activity (necessarily)

^Thought the tax marriage allowance went ages ago?

it did. come on equality is fine but come on you can't have more rights than others. there has to be limits so brother +sister and any other family has to remain banned.

however you should not be forcing churches to marry anyone who is not keeping to that churches rules.

a case in chorley a lesbian couple wanted the child baptised in the catholic church. the priest refused as neither parent were practicing or even catholic. they also wanted more than two god parents named on the cert and the wanted another gay couple as two god parents. i can understand why the priest was not happy.

however they also wanted to dress in there wedding dresses that they were going to wear for there civil wedding.

the catholic bishop oked the baptism minus the multiple god parents and the dresses.

you want marriage thats fine you want the same rights as none gays thats fine. but don't take away others rights or expect more than others.

I have never been a fan of civil partnership but it is there for th right reasons i suppose, the fact of having both available for same sex partners and not for hetro is another issue to work on. I feel once same sex marriage is legal it will open up doors for other issues to solve.

http://i45.tinypic.com/73fnm9.jpg

I have never been a fan of civil partnership but it is there for th right reasons i suppose, the fact of having both available for same sex partners and not for hetro is another issue to work on. I feel once same sex marriage is legal it will open up doors for other issues to solve.

http://i45.tinypic.com/73fnm9.jpg

:lik:

^Thought the tax marriage allowance went ages ago?

There are still Inheritance Tax advantages in being married/in a civil partnership. I heard a while ago about 2 sisters who wanted to be in a civil partnership because if one died their house would have to be sold to pay IHT.

Maybe a lot of the 'no' voters are reticent to participate in the debate because they fear they will be mocked, patronised, cajoled, lampooned and ultimately ostracised from the general debate by the usual pseudo-intellectual self-righteous cabal of bores that endlessly pontificate on this forum? Just a thought...

I voted 'yes', by the way.

Maybe a lot of the 'no' voters are reticent to participate in the debate because they fear they will be mocked, patronised, cajoled, lampooned and ultimately ostracised from the general debate by the usual pseudo-intellectual self-righteous cabal of bores that endlessly pontificate on this forum? Just a thought...

I voted 'yes', by the way.

Hehehehehe

But also probbberly because they know that most of the above lines of attack will hit home, and rightly so.

8)