1990s in Shetland

CrunchieSquirrel

I was just clearing up my home's sitting room and I have noticed what a lot of tourist brochures and magazines there were at the back of the bookshelves. I have magazines as far back as 1996, I would have been about 2 at the time which I don't remember at all and we even have brochures from 2000s which I do remember quite a lot of. I cannot remember anything in the 90s as it went in a flash because all I remember is Tall Ships and that's it.

Xmas 1995 = lots & lots of snow

I remember very vaguely about that, I remember I was on my father's knee and my father would watch the news on the TV while I'd watch the snow. When he spoke about those days, he said that the gritters took days to clear the snow on one road and we were deserted in the house.

We moved to Shetland in November 1996. I remember the comet in 1997 and standing outside, looking up at it from our rented accommodation thinking it couldn't get much better than this. :)

Best life-changing decision I have ever made! (though luckily missed the 1995 snow!) :shock: :D

Frances has reminded me of the 1992 UFO. Something strange was seen in the sky as described here http://www.blackvault.com/documents/ufos/cia/cia1news529.htm At the time I was driving between the Weisdale Shop and the Norsemans Inn (remember that folks). One of my passengers spotted it first and we stopped to look. Very scary!.

But the two we saw were orange with lights (they hovered over the voe)... beautiful night, phoned the coastguard because although were pretty certain they weren't flares always better to be safe. The coastguard phoned back, said we weren't mad and the police had seen them too. some speed they disappeared at, out of westburrafirth up to voe I think it was where the police said it was they saw them. Seen similar things on a UFO programme (flicking through sky channels when bored one night, and saw one had fun flicking back to find it) My mum's seen a couple, been in the right place so to speak, there was one big sighting in the north of England none of her family believed her till it was in the papers the next day.

Remember when the press talked of UFO landings in Russia and the beings back in the 1990's? No? it was for a week or so in various broadsheets, hidden in the back in the other foreign news. still got Times and Telegraph cuttings somewhere.

Best thing about the 90's were the summers, there where a few good ones, but then I suppose being a teen I had more time to enjoy them.

• 2 months later...

^ Yeah, the entrance burned down a chunk one night, Electrical fault in the signage or something. Don't remember exactly when, but '99 - '01 would sound about right. It wasn't much different in time that the new Incinerator half burned down when it was only half built. That was around News Year '99 I think. The irony in that happening amused me.