New sheep disease

Sadly, this is old news. As the report has said, it has been around in Europe for some months. From what I remember, one of the reports showed farms around Bristol as having the virus in any numbers initially. It seems not to be the case now, though the odd one in Cornwall shows what can happen when moving animals around with these infections/virus.

There are updates here

http://warmwell.com/schmallenbergall.html

and official info here

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-diseases/a-z/schmallenberg-virus/

At the time of writing it is not reportable. As with B.S.E. animals will still be moved around possibly spreading the virus until it becomes widespread and uncontrollable. Who would want to buy from a farm that had the virus.

I hope the folk involved take positive action, and very quickly.

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/attachment.php?s=9409779821db1d8216ad74cd0aa59a96&attachmentid=14321&d=1330117184

• 1 month later...

It is not reportable because it is affecting farms in france and the rest of mainland europe, unlike the foot and mouth and bse which were seen as primarily british problems and there for not just reportable but complete restriction on movement of animals nationwide, farms in Shetland 200 miles from the nearest outbreak restricted movement, farms in france 30 miles from outbreak no restrictions.

yet more evidence of the blatant racism prevalent in europe.

You mean like these?

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/diseases/atoz/notifiable.htm

I don't think it is to do with racism. That may just be you. If it was reportable, animal keepers would be duty bound to report it and it can be tracked more comprehensibly. There are some that have never been reported in this country yet on the list like Equine Viral Encephalomyelitis and West Nile Virus.

But it's been widespread throughout England this year? They were talking about it back in January, but farmers were complaining that not everyone was being honest about the losses. It was one of those "food" stories about how lamb prices were going to go up again this year, I think on the BBC.

I saw the story I don't think it is wide spread in england but in a few isolated farms. It is definitely widespread in mainland europe though and that is my point. how did it cross the channel? by the movement of infected stock, if it had been infected stock moving the other way then you can be damn sure europe would be demanding the burning of all livestock in the UK and compensation for their farmers.

Yep midges can cross the channel but europe could not accept that migrating birds were moving south at the time of foot and mouth and therefor farms in france should of culled their animals to prevent spread. Just as in this case farms in france holland belgium etc should of culled animals to prevent the spread of this disease into other parts of europe namely the uk.

The enforcement of rules even just the application of them throughout europe is skewed to say the least.

Why is this disease not notifiable when it has a mortality rate of 50% +/-?

Why were no restrictions placed on movement of animals when this disease was known to be in an area?

Why the heck are we even still in the club?????

Just as in this case farms in france holland belgium etc should of culled animals to prevent the spread of this disease into other parts of europe namely the uk.

What, culled the midges?

if they didn't have their place in the ecosystem I would actually, for once, be in agreement

Yep midges can cross the channel but europe could not accept that migrating birds were moving south at the time of foot and mouth and therefor farms in france should of culled their animals to prevent spread. Just as in this case farms in france holland belgium etc should of culled animals to prevent the spread of this disease into other parts of europe namely the uk.

The enforcement of rules even just the application of them throughout europe is skewed to say the least.

Why is this disease not notifiable when it has a mortality rate of 50% +/-?

Why were no restrictions placed on movement of animals when this disease was known to be in an area?

Why the heck are we even still in the club?????

Show me your qualification in epidemiology and I might start to look into it a bit deeper. Otherwise STFU please - you're not making any sense.