Advertisements

Is there a problem getting an ad on Shetlink? I've been trying for a few weeks now and tempus fugits in terms of Christmas and my peerie ecommerce business needs all the help it can get.. I've got stuff that folk with a Shetland connection all over the world would like and Shetlink would be an ideal vehicle for letting them know about it. Many thanks.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^might have something to do with your DPI or browser scaling.

If so then I am surprised as I generally use bogstandard vanilla settings for browser.

Was there a particular one I can watch out for?

There are loads, all of them Flash. For example "Family Guy," "Simple Shoes," ...

I'm running IE8 with Flash Player 10. When embedded at the bottom they are fine but the smaller top ones are cropped rather than scaled. I have no problem viewing scaled Swf normally.

I use the adblock extension for firefox and I've not seen an advert in ages.

You wouldn't steal a policeman's hat...

As for the scaling thing, EM; I've spent a while refreshing pages and checking, but don't get a wide variety - they all seem fine though. This is using FireFox, however, so I cannot vouch for IE.

@FiFi: You want to run an ad on Shetlink? Assuming the system is working ok (and it seems to be for me) then you'd have to talk to PB for the specifics on that.

^^ Ads not fitting their windows has been an occasional thing with me too off and on going way back, both with IE and Firefox. Granted there are fewer with Firefox, but I still see one now and then.

Another longstanding issue with the Ads is the following, when pages are short. Looks exactly the same with both IE and Firefox.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/Redneck_Hillbilly0504/Shetlink-2.jpg

P.S. I'm not sure if the inclusion of Spanish, or maybe its Portugese text Banner Ads is doing anyone any good either. Most commonly seen in the one with a wriggling Goldfish from the Ad Council, and usually only at the bottom of pages.

Don't know if thats a Shetlink issue or a cock-up with the outfit supplying the Ads though, as I frequently get Banner Ads on MySpace in some European language I don't recognise, could be Danish maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

The general level of some of the ads here has dropped again with several really dodgy ones. I especially dislike the "You are the millionth visitor click to claim your prize!" type. Obviously a lie, but I had a look at this one for amusement:

www.ashoppingspree.com

Complete sharn. Apparently the prize is not real money, but a discount from their super expensive holidays. Pathetic stuff. Any chance of asking for better quality ads?

Adblock does not stop you gaining revenue from me. Essentially all that has happened is that I've told my computer not to show images from whatever ridiculious flashing smilie-related ad site that is used. It's still there, i've just hidden it.

Think yourselves lucky, most places would ban any user mentioning ad-blockers immediately!

http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/files/u12/wikipedian_protester.png

:lol: Just seen this (brilliant image, bookmarked!) - if you ever find yourself mentioning it on an online snooker or pool website, I may be able to provide your evidence directly :wink:

• 1 month later...

Just got irritated with some advert telling me I can get lots of government grants provided I give my name, address and phone number to some obscure company who are trying to look like the Times (London not Shetland) and served up to me by something like mediclick or fastclick so for the moment my ad blocker is back on.

• 3 weeks later...