Shops that charge for card transactions

humptygrumpty

i thought buisness retailers were supposed to have a notice in their premisis stating they charge x amount for card transactions best to ask trading standards if you have been ripped off as banks are now suffering for their rip off charges then you can get recompense for covert overcharging

speaking from experience it costs 65p to process a card payment and on the small margins that the corner/local shops operate that can be all the profit from the sale gone. get on to the banks if you have a problem with the charges it is them that imposes them in the first place, the retailer is just passing on the cost of doing business.

As for bolts not charging just look at the rent they charge for a unit then tell me they are not profiteering.

if you are in a country store and it has a post office withdraw money from the post office for free and pay cash, if you are in the town withdraw money from a cash machine and pay cash simple really

Guest posiedon
Dratsy

speaking from experience it costs 65p to process a card payment

From Which magazine.

Rip off' card transaction charges targeted by Which?

While the cost to companies for processing a payment by debit card is around 20p, and no more than 2% of the transaction value for a credit card, Which? researchers found dozens of examples of companies charging far higher fees.

I am sure that small companies pay at least 50p to process a debit card and it could well be more. So having a minimum sale value for accepting cards or charging a small supplement for sales below a set value is not unreasonable. My local shop sets a minimum of £10 and I rarely have any problem finding something reasonable to top up my purchases to reach a tenner.

Hi Folks,

At Tagon Stores in Voe we are currently charging 50p per transaction this is regardless of amount or type of card used.

The reason for the charge is simply that the previous owners had maintained the fee for some time and it was felt that to change it without reviewing the costs could potentially cost us a lot of money.

I cannot speak for other retailers on the islands but our current charges are worked out based on

Rental of the card processing Terminal

+

Card Processing Fee*

+

Contact centre Call Fee + Line Rental **

+

Cost of reciept rolls and ink etc ***

+

1p per card for electricity for the terminal****

+

Terminal Maintainence

+

Merchant Account fee (monthly)

/

Average number of transactions daily

= Total cost per card which currently works out at around 48.8p

* = This is the fee charged by the handler to process the transaction generally speaking it is a set fee for debit cards and a percentage of the overall transaction value for credit cards

** = Contact call centre fee - Every time the card machine has to process a payment we are charged a fee for the 'call' the machine makes to the processing centre using the phone line

*** = Obviously are bought in bulk but we are currently using a roll or so each day

****=The terminal is required under the terms of the rental contract to be left on all night to 'recieve updates' to software

Every retailer could have a different set up and different fee package depending on their provider in much the same way as mobile phone contracts.

As someone who rarely carries cash I appreciate that paying a fee to access your own money is frustrating but I thought it was worth presenting the other side of the coin as it were. The alternative to charging 50p for card usage would be to increase costs of some items in order to prevent cashflow issues.

Phoebe and I have only been in the shop for one month but at the current time the prices are basically covering costs and it is of course easier to charge 50p than 48p or 49p to reflect actual cost but given that we also provide cash back up to £25.00 and many of the rural cash machines charge a lot higher than this we feel we are being quite fair at the moment and we will keep checking to ensure we are not making a huge profit from the charges - if we notice that we are then we will bring the charge down.

Hi Folks,

At Tagon Stores in Voe we are currently charging 50p per transaction this is regardless of amount or type of card used.

The reason for the charge is simply that the previous owners had maintained the fee for some time and it was felt that to change it without reviewing the costs could potentially cost us a lot of money.

I cannot speak for other retailers on the islands but our current charges are worked out based on

Rental of the card processing Terminal

+

Card Processing Fee*

+

Contact centre Call Fee + Line Rental **

+

Cost of reciept rolls and ink etc ***

+

1p per card for electricity for the terminal****

+

Terminal Maintainence

+

Merchant Account fee (monthly)

/

Average number of transactions daily

= Total cost per card which currently works out at around 48.8p

* = This is the fee charged by the handler to process the transaction generally speaking it is a set fee for debit cards and a percentage of the overall transaction value for credit cards

** = Contact call centre fee - Every time the card machine has to process a payment we are charged a fee for the 'call' the machine makes to the processing centre using the phone line

*** = Obviously are bought in bulk but we are currently using a roll or so each day

****=The terminal is required under the terms of the rental contract to be left on all night to 'recieve updates' to software

Every retailer could have a different set up and different fee package depending on their provider in much the same way as mobile phone contracts.

As someone who rarely carries cash I appreciate that paying a fee to access your own money is frustrating but I thought it was worth presenting the other side of the coin as it were. The alternative to charging 50p for card usage would be to increase costs of some items in order to prevent cashflow issues.

Phoebe and I have only been in the shop for one month but at the current time the prices are basically covering costs and it is of course easier to charge 50p than 48p or 49p to reflect actual cost but given that we also provide cash back up to £25.00 and many of the rural cash machines charge a lot higher than this we feel we are being quite fair at the moment and we will keep checking to ensure we are not making a huge profit from the charges - if we notice that we are then we will bring the charge down.

Now Shetlinkers, does that answer your questions? Don't moan if you dunna have cash(not aimed at OP) there's a reason it costs!!

Personally, I prefer paying in cash. I refuse point-blank to pay with a debit or credit card, only to be charged extra for the pleasure of it.

Consumer organisation Which? has lodged a super complaint with the Office of Fair Trading to try and stamp out the spiralling "rip off" surcharges levied on debit and credit card transactions.

Budget airlines have led the way in charging hefty fees for the privilege of paying by plastic, but the latest research by Which? shows these "unjustifiable" charges are increasingly standard practice across a wide range of business sectors – from local councils and florists to dentists, dealerships and estate agents.

While the cost to companies for processing a payment by debit card is around 20p, and no more than 2% of the transaction value for a credit card, Which? researchers found dozens of examples of companies charging far higher fees.

These included:

• a £25 debit card charge to pay a £5,000 deposit to rent a flat through Foxtons, one of London's biggest letting agents.

• train booking site the Trainline adding a £3.50 charge for paying by credit card, while Eurostar charged £4.

• London cab firms Dial-a-Cab and Radio Taxis added 12.5% to the cost of their fares for paying with a debit or credit card, and Addison Lee charged £4.40.

• Bath and North East Somerset council levied a 3% credit card charge, while the DVLA adds £2.50 for paying by credit card.

• Admiral Insurance levied a £5.95 fee for credit card use, while Swinton Insurance charges 2.5%.

• AOL charged £1.99 on both credit and debit cards.

• A family of four booking a return flight with Ryanair would be charged £40 to pay by debit or credit card.

Such charges make it difficult for consumers to compare prices ahead of making a purchase, and Which? also found that only a third of the public understood it is retailers rather than banks or card issuers who impose charges for paying by debit and credit card.

A Eurostar spokesperson said: "In line with much of the travel industry Eurostar charges a fee for credit card bookings, which goes some way towards offsetting the costs charged to us by the credit card companies.

"In February we made the commercial decision to increase this fee by £1 per booking. The new fee of £4 is more reflective of our own costs and we will not generate any profit through this charge. As has been the case since it was introduced, this fee is only applied to credit card transactions over £30 and it remains significantly lower than any of our airline competitors – and unlike many of our competitors, all bookings made using a debit card remain free of this charge."

Which? chief executive Peter Vicary-Smith said: "Consumers are really fed up with paying excessive card charges. So far, more than 40,000 people have pledged their support for our campaign to bring these to an end. Low-cost airlines are some of the worst offenders, but excessive card surcharges are becoming ever more widespread, with everyone from cinemas and cabs to hotels and even some local authorities getting in on the act."

The OFT said it would consider the issues raised in the super complaint in order to establish whether any element, or combination of elements, is or appears to be significantly harming the interests of consumers. It will publish a response within 90 days. Possible outcomes include:

• improving the quality and accessibility of information for consumers.

• encouraging businesses in the market to self-regulate.

• making recommendations to government to change regulations or public policy.

• taking competition or consumer enforcement action.

• making a market investigation reference to the Competition Commission.

• declaring a clean bill of health.

Ryanair, one of the companies accused by Which? of levying credit and debit card charges, denies it does any such thing. Instead it charges an "administration fee", which is avoidable if customers use a MasterCard prepaid card to make the transaction.

Ryanair's own white labelled card is no longer being marketed, but customers can use any prepaid MasterCard to avoid the fees. Kevin Mountford, head of banking and credit cards at moneysupermarket.com, says those who are likely to use the card for buying just one or two tickets may do best with the Freedom Eagle Cash Card, which has no monthly or card application but charges 2.75% for shop and internet purchases. However, those buying several tickets could save money with the Kalixa prepaid MasterCard, which has no monthly or purchase fees, but does have a one off card application fee.

:oops: Sorry hope that came across in the spirit it was intended... I wasn't having a go at anyone... just thought it was worth explaining.

Sorry, what I was trying to say was that your post explains perfectly clearly WHY retailers charge for people who wish to use their shop as a bank machine! :D

I have seen both sides of the coin. Worked in a small shop that had a card machine and had to pass on charges for small transactions on the one hand but I now live in the back of beyond with a £1.99 charge for the cashpoint and a shop that has a £10 minimum spend on a card. Can honestly say that I do not mind either. Shop needs to cover card costs on small transactions and whoever provides the cashpoint........not my bank I hasten to add........is entitled to make some sort of profit. These are not rip-off charges such as those a well know Irish airline makes.......and Flybe are not that good either.