Tagon Stores - Fuel Promotion Day

Well, March is finally here and its the month on which one day will feature cheap fuel at the pumps here in Voe.

The date has now been drawn and confirmed with suppliers etc... it was not today and we are happy to confirm that it will not be March 31st - meaning there are only 29 days left on which it could happen.

The question is... when will it be?????

A few people are offering a lot of money to find out... its very kind but we think its more fun to keep people guessing :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair point.

The reason I had been informing people, is that fuel here is obviously such a big issue. A lot of people were asking in the shop when the day was and what information we had about it so what better way to answer all the questions, than by using a community forum? I appreciate that it was in a humoured way but given the strength of feeling on the issue I felt it should be approached in a lighthearted way.

Since the reduction in prices will be around 20 - 25p on Petrol and around 10 - 15p in Diesel I thought it would have been of benefit to everyone to know when it was and to get some information on the day itself.

I appreciate that Shetlink is a great resource for people here and certainly dont want to take advantage for any commercial gain - not that selling fuel cheaper (MUCH cheaper) than cost price is a commercial gain.

So I will say nothing more on the matter.

your doing a good job of talking your store up well done. however it is advertising and as such breaches the terms and conditions. but im sure if you bung the mods a free pie they may fail to notice.

how about a section for local small firm to promote and make offers such as this fuel one.

Wow

A new shop owner is trying to tackle a SHETLAND wide problem head on and we are more concerned about him giving more money away !! ( donate to shetlink )

As he has already pointed out every liter will be sold at a loss ( no profit there then )

why would someone make a loss so other would get a fair deal ? Maybe they are trying help !

So lets re-direct our energy to helping these folk out. maybe a free banner for a while in a thankyou for supporting the Island and its fight against high fuel prices.

maybe Mr T Scott can drop a few pound in the pot ?

well, I am with Paulb on this one. It is advertising. First the pies, now fuel. If the store was to take out an ad in the Times, they would be charged for it, no doubt....and for the notion of doing people a favour by giving away fuel without profit: the store is a business after all, it is a promotional gimmick. They hope the fuel buyers will spend money in the shop on other goods.

talking of free advertising: WHEN are the mods going to do something about the classified section? The same ads appear day after day for car valeting, lego sellers and painting services offered, somebody repeatedly trying to sell an illuminated mirror recently day after day after day......

There have been plenty of people who have offered their services and volunteered to help monitor the classified section, (myself included in the past) yet the mods are not taking anybody up on the offer. It is not as if there's a shortage of folk offering to help out....

don't get me wrong i think they are doing a great job of promoting there store. i just think a new section that deals with local small firms would be a better place for it. i hope there store does very well but remember if all the stores do it well it would be a mess.

well, I am with Paulb on this one. It is advertising. First the pies, now fuel. If the store was to take out an ad in the Times, they would be charged for it, no doubt....and for the notion of doing people a favour by giving away fuel without profit: the store is a business after all, it is a promotional gimmick. They hope the fuel buyers will spend money in the shop on other goods.

Firstly, my sincere apologies to anyone who feels our recent posts have been advertisements, that, as I explained was not the intention but I accept some people have percieved them in that way.

I do not intend on either personally or as a business becoming a source of people's disagreement and so will ask the mods to delete this thread in due course.

as- The promotion was an attempt to do something nice as a result of the great welcome we have had. I am indeed hopeful that people will spend some money in the store - after all that is what a shop is for, and could not survive without the support of its customers.

You will note that there are no conditions to the fuel promotion - for example a minimum spend etc. other than the fact that containers cannot be used, and therefore I feel that it is a fantastic opportunity for people to take advantage of.

Yes we have enjoyed increased footfall and interest in the shop, indeed Tavish Scott has already visited us to discuss the issue and we have certainly been a talking point both locally and elsewhere. However, The idea of the promotion was to bring the issue of fuel prices on shetland front and centre, and to show our gratitude to the people who had made us feel welcome by dealing with (albeit in a small way) an issue which seems to affect everyone here.

Finally, Whilst we did not start the thread on Voe Pies I have re-read my replies and accept they could also be seen as advertising so to one and all please accept my apologies.

well, I am with Paulb on this one. It is advertising. First the pies, now fuel. If the store was to take out an ad in the Times, they would be charged for it, no doubt....

How does that old saying go again, you can please some of the Shetlinkers all the time, and all of the Shetlinkers some of the ti....... no, wait that's wrong, some of you can never be pleased at all!

I find it almost unbelievable that even when a local business offers a clever, if brief solution to one of the most contentious issues on Shetland - the price of fuel - that some folk still manage to pick holes in it.

If you don't like the horrendous notion of 'free advertising' so much then don't turn up on the day they are selling fuel cheaper, simple as.

and for the notion of doing people a favour by giving away fuel without profit: the store is a business after all, it is a promotional gimmick. They hope the fuel buyers will spend money in the shop on other goods.

Well give the man a biscuit, he's got it! Of course they are hoping people will spend money in their store on other goods, is that not how a business works?

I wonder how many folk will turn up on the halcyonic day to fill up their tanks and not even buy as much as a packet of chewing gum in the shop, before driving at mainland prices straight to Tesco to do the weekly shop.

the bit I have a problem with is that people repeatedly blatanly ignore the T+C's of Shetlink by using it as an advertising platform. What is the point of having T+C's?

How is this fuel promotion really going to help Shetland in the long run?

I would not go there anyway, as they are not exactly my neck of the woods.

I get your point of folk only filling the tank on the day, and heading off to Tesco. Glad you agree that it is used as an advertising opportunity....after all, as you say, they are a business, not a charity. So why try and disguise it as a charitable act?

the bit I have a problem with is that people repeatedly blatanly ignore the T+C's of Shetlink by using it as an advertising platform. What is the point of having T+C's?

Does it really bother you that much? PM the mods then.

How is this fuel promotion really going to help Shetland in the long run?

You're right, it isn't going to help Shetland. It won't solve unemployment or stop the drugs problems, it won't build a new high school or bring down the cost of travel, nor will it be like a second oil boom. What it will do is offer a good number of folk the chance to fill up their cars for a bit less than it normally would do, which can only be a good thing.

If shop A says they can fill your tank for £100, and shop B says they will fill the same one for £85, which one are you going to go to?