Tagon Stores - Fuel Promotion Day

Ive been discussing this here with folk and apparently I'm missing the point, but hey ho...

from a business point of view (setting aside the copious amounts of free advertising on here!) id be trying to firstly look after my existing customers and also bring in new ones, however if I was a regular, which im not, I can tell you I would be one very unhappy customer, had I have been regularly buying fuel from you at normal price to only find that the next day you had it on offer, and me with a full tank of normal priced fuel and couldn't fill up, hardly rewarding loyal customers is it?

So hang on, let me get your take on this right....... you know a month in advance that there is a promotion coming up on one of thirty one days, and you choose to drive around with a full tank of fuel - and then criticise the shop for 'not rewarding loyal customers?' Jeezo.

They can cater for loyalty - but nobody can cater for stupidity!

It really is depressing how many negative people there are on Shetlink. For some it seems the cherry on the cake is never quite big enough, the glass is at best half empty, somebody always trying to screw them over.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can assure you that if you only fill you car up with £5 at a time you will not get the same amount of fuel for your money than had you have filled up in one go due to the nature of the pumps, fuel costs are always going up, so buy when its cheaper

so you suggesting we play Russian Roulette and all drive around with minimum amount of fuel in our vehicles?

personally I dont like to have a car sat here with minimum amount of fuel in it, what if I have to go somewhere unplanned and have no chance of obtaining more fuel? cue the suggestions for keeping jerry cans with me, save it im not interested

As I say it doesn't reward loyal customers, I never said It wasn't a good offer

^^

I was wondering that too - surely the first 5 litres you pour in the tank comes to exactly the same volume as the last 5 litres, given that, err, they are both 5 litres. I'm happy to be educated otherwise though.

fuel costs are always going up, so buy when its cheaper

Ironically, that's exactly what the shop are offering, and exactly what you are dismissing as 'lack of customer loyalty.'

I live locally to Tagon Stores yet hardly set foot in it under recent management. The fuel costs were high and they didn't sell skimmed milk so I had to stop in Brae on my way home and just bought everything I needed there.

Scott and Phoebe have dropped the everyday fuel prices (I'm not talking about their promotion, just the day to day price) and they are taking in skimmed milk to order for me. I am now visiting the shop at least 2 or 3 days a week. This is how they are increasing footfall in the shop - by listening to their customers and doing what they can to supply them. (By the way the plums were lovely and I hope you have some left!). My daughter also buys her fuel at Tagon now, although we both use cash to do so as buying cheaper fuel and then paying more to pay for it seems a bit daft!

The fuel promotion day is a gimmick granted - they are trying to bring attention to the ridiculous price we pay for our fuel, despite a lot of it hitting land on the island in the first place. If a few people also find they like the service in the shop in the process then Scott and Phoebe will have found some new customers, but selling fuel at a loss is not going to make them any money.

When speaking to Scott he was saying that after the reaction on here he was thinking not to do the promotion again. I have assured him that the posts on here will not reflect the opinions of the population as a whole and do tend towards the negative, which is a shame because Shetlink had great potential as a shared community resource.

I do agree with the posters asking for a section for shops to promote themselves and their wares. I like to shop locally and it's good to know who is selling what.

Good luck to Scott and Phoebe, I hope they continue in the vein in which they have started, friendly, approachable and looking after their customers. Just what you want in a local shop, I hope they can look past the negativity and see that Shetland is a great place to live and work.

aywick. if you get a chance go and see her shop it may prove useful to you. please don't stop what you are doing its very good that you are trying. we will visit the next time we head for brae. look on the brightside your have a decent passing trade and lets face it if you can't beat the coop in brae well never mind. good luck and don't get down. your showing willing and being creative folks will like that

Personally - I think cheaper fuel in Shetland qualifies as news in it's own right. If someone else had started this thread then all the negative comments would not have happened.

Keep up the good work - I think you'll get a few more regular customers out of it.

And, as I am not in any way connected to the shop - I can tell you that today is cheap fuel day!

129 for petrol, 136 for diesel. With or without a .9 at the end, didn't notice.

Thanks guys,

just topped up the car and pick up some booze for the rugby. I hope today goes well and folk get the point.

have always uesd the shop for bits and enjoy supporting local companies, especially the pub ;-)

I cant belive the price of petrol your giving it away.

thanks again and goodluck for the future.