Cruise ship season

PJ of Hildisvik

Any update on your pony offer Frances?

Well Lerwick gets in on the liners tomorrow with the Quest arriving in port carrying 31 passengers. Not exactly an invasion (given the 3,000 that landed in Kirkwall yesterday) but at least it's a start.

2013 season is looking poor 41-42 visits at best and that's if there are no cancellations.

And now there's that barge full of stone at Holmsgarth which if delayed in getting it unloaded could block that cruise ship berth for weeks! You could not make it up!....it looks like this place seems to do it best to encourage ships NOT to come back... :roll:

No, I have suggested it again. Even offered to build a three sided free mstanding white post and rail farmyard style fence.

Silence.

Was told to talk to LPA about H&S, though.

I think it should not be us arranging it but part of Visit Scotland's original promotion or even Promote Shetland.

So far, nothing.

Frances im sorry to hear that your efforts are landing on deaf ears, to be honest i half expected that answer from you. It is a great gesture from yourself, and something different, but perhaps for the LPA and the joke that is promote Shetland it is to radical an idea because "we didn't think of it first".

I honestly don't know what's wrong with this Island.

Sadly, neither am I surprised :(

Something that has been "offered on a plate" to them and would be an absolute show stealer with the cruise visitors and it gets nowhere.

That's tourism in Shetland for you......

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the current "product" is cr*p.

The one glimmer of light I saw recently was the scale Killer Whale at the Scy Museum. What an eye-catcher!.

They must have seen a previous post of mine :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Well that was a busy day for the town with all the ships in, and i understand there has to be security arrangements for the ships, but i have never had to navigate walking around so many barriers on the waterfront today in my life. Think that aspect of things has definitely gone OTT.

"Small town security"(?) has always gone OTT.. eg Sumburgh Airport...

You shouldn't really expect anything different in town.

Pity, now they are trying to run everyone's life..

No pipes i'm pleased to report, and no ponies either. Still think this port could do more for passengers staying in the town, ie stalls, entertainment etc.

Again the fabled cruise pavilion had only one local and no passengers go in it in all the time i was on the pier, waste of money and time it is.

I think we are lucky that we can still usually access the piers and that there isn't a rent-a-thug standing in the way. Most of the cruise ship visitors I have met don't want to spend any serious money. I am sure if you want to set out a stall and sell trinkets then you would be welcome, as I am sure if there was money to be made you'ld be trampled in the rush.

• 1 month later...

Well, another huge and rather nice looking cruise ship was in Lerwick harbour today and the streets were heaving with tourists.

Unfortunately, that's where the good bit ends after hearing of an incident from a friend today.

Cruise Tourist - "excuse me, can you tell me where the main street is?".

Friend - "erm, this is it".

Cruise Tourist - "....you're kidding?".

I went for a look at the ship after work and must say that many buildings and areas/pockets of the town centre are looking very neglected and run down.

Not good.... :(

Kavi that's pretty disheartening to hear about that one particular tourist.

Indeed walking the street on Friday i was amazed at how shabby it has become, DE Shoes for example has very poor paintwork outside their shop. It's maybe just a trivial thing but it looks sad to see.

Lerwick the "grey town" as the Norwegians say....

The whole present situation is disheartening and it just seems as if nobody will listen.

Unfortunately that incident I mentioned isn't an isolated one. Another friend of mine had a similar incident just a month or so ago and was asked pretty much the exact same thing. It was another cruise tourist who asked "is this it?".

The Shetland Museum can't even bring themselves to fly the Norwegian flag as a mark of respect to Shetland's Norwegian/Scandinavian history and links.....

Talking of run down buildings just look at how worn and run down the houses on the sea front of Clickimin Road in Lerwick are.....

I wouldn't expect much else from cruise tourists, they tend to be in the same league as coach tourists: turn up, wander around, buy a postcard, tick the box and move on.

As for negative comments, the same applies. I can think of hundreds of similar comments/incidents when I was involved with dealing with tourists in the UK.

As an example (In the grounds of Warwick Castle after just being dropped off by a coach):

"Could you tell me where the village is?"

"What village is that?"

"Warwick village"

"Uh, I'm afraid Warwick is a bit bigger than a village, it's a busy town"

"No, it's a village"

"Well, the town centre is through that archway and across that busy main road"

"No, I demand to know where the village is!"

Or, when taking a booking on a sightseeing boat trip in Scotland:

"At what time do the dolphins appear? I'm not paying if they don't turn up"

The ignorant ones are always the most vocal...... :D