Shetland Flag Day

trout

Will you be flying the Shetland flag?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be flying the Shetland flag?

• no
    • yes.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

al least the shetland flag means something - IMHO down here the english flag seems to have been successfully hijacked by the football thugs and certainly nothing to be proud of .......

it must be nice to come from somewhere your not ashamed to admit to :roll:

Think yourselves luck you are allowed to fly your flag, even if it is just displayed in your window.

Here in council flats in Newham, we are not allowed to display the English flag as it is deemed as causing offence to minorities, or may do. I do, however, hasten to add that come the World Cup, whilst many ignore this ruling and some do get visited by the draconian Housing Officers, nothing ever gets said when flags are displayed during cricket matches between certain nations.

So embrace the fact you can and are allowed to fly your flag.

• 1 year later...
we've got ours up!!

My daughter and myself were counting them yesterday, and have to admit it was a bit of a disappointment, even on top of the town hall there wasn't a Shetland flag!

Well, there you go. Even the people promoting it didn't fly the flag so what hope is there?. At least Morgan Goodlad ensured that the two Shetland flags were kept flying outside the Town Hall front door.

I'd love to see a Shetland flag flying from every house in Shetland but the truth is Shetland is a divided place with everybody taking their own stance as to what nationality they are.

This was proven when I drove through Quarff on Saturday and saw one Shetland flag and then a scottish saltire and then an english flag.

And then you have Brae, where I saw one Shetland flag and two or three other flags one of which was some kind of Scotland flag, an England flag and goodness knows what the others were.

I find it sad that although we have an offcial Shetland flag some people in Shetland are determined to fly a saltire or something else. So much for supporting Shetland......

^ ^ ^

Shetland are not playing in the world cup so,although I love Shetland,I am displaying an England flag on my car. My picture also appeared in the English version of the Sun waving an England flag with Shetland written across the centre. This was taken on Norwick beach.

I reckon that if they had stuck Shetland Flag day at a time of year with much less going on then people would be more likely to engage with it. Sticking it at midsummers was perhaps a promotional mistake. A flag day should be a time to be proud of your identity or location and the busiest social weekend of the year(alongside UHA), with the most visitors present, is not exactly ideal for this. People would, I'd imagine, be happy to wave and raise flags for this weekend anyway, without designating it as Flag day.

Stick it in September of when there's nowt else on. :wink:

I'd love to see a Shetland flag flying from every house in Shetland but the truth is Shetland is a divided place with everybody taking their own stance as to what nationality they are.

This was proven when I drove through Quarff on Saturday and saw one Shetland flag and then a scottish saltire and then an english flag.

What's wrong with an Englishman flying an England flag during the world cup, or at any other time for that matter? Of course people will take their own stance on their nationality, why shouldn't they? I don't think that necessarily means that Shetland is a divided place. I would also be surprised if the majority of people flyin the Shetland flag believed that it was their national flag. Shetland is not a country. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

What's wrong with an Englishman flying an England flag during the world cup, or at any other time for that matter? Of course people will take their own stance on their nationality, why shouldn't they? I don't think that necessarily means that Shetland is a divided place. I would also be surprised if the majority of people flyin the Shetland flag believed that it was their national flag. Shetland is not a country. :roll:

england will no be in the world cup for long , so surely the effing things will come doon soon

Just because folk choose to fly different flags, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's a divided society. Perhaps they are proud of their roots, like Shetlanders all over the world are?

PS - Some in Brae fly different flags for different occasions, sporting and otherwise. Just because you have a flagpole doesn't mean to say that you always have to fly the same flag.. ;)

Fifi

Shetland might not be a "country" but we do have an official flag and it would just be nice to see everybody in Shetland unite behind it in support of our islands. And that means setting aside where you might have come from and embracing and flying the Shetland flag.

I appreciate the world cup but sadly some of the flags I've mentioned seem to be raised aloft at all other times. To me it signifies that they're not willing to embrace Shetland's identity viz the Shetland flag.

Why would I want to go to England and see it full of Shetland flags?. I want to go to England and see it full of St George's Crosses!.