Gollywogs - is this guy for real?.

Kavi Ugl

I really do not think that I am forcing my opinion on you or anybody else. If these things might be made illegal at some point than I would hope it is based on a decision made by the majority. In the meantime you are entitled to worship Gollywogs and I am entitled to despise them. ;)

Unless you can provide one example of any one who has contributed to this discussion worshiping Gollywogs then I would suggest you retract that statement as it is neither humorous or factual.

okay, fair enough. "worshiping" is as strong a word used as "despise". consider it officially retracted. I'll replace it with "like" and "dislike". I trust that is to your satisfaction?

seem to be able to edit this post, but appear to be unable to edit previous post which offended you. sorry.

Edited by as

So wog is an offensive term for a black person (even if the meaning has changed as meanings of words often do) and calling a black person a wog would be bad.

Would calling a black person a gollywog be bad?

Would calling a black person a gollynig**r be bad?

For gawd sake Gibber, give it a rest, you seem he'll bent on arguing every point until the cows come home.

No one called anyone any dirogitry names, your twisting the point and seem he'll bent on nit picking every point.

A gollywog is a caricature of a black person.  Calling a black person a gollywog is ascribing this caricature verbally.  If the gollywog doll isn't offensive then calling a black person the name gollywog isn't offensive, right?  If anything all the innocent positive childhood nostalgia I keep hearing being subjectively attached to these dolls would be conveyed verbally and it would be a compliment of the highest order.

If I'm twisting the point then explain the differnce between the doll and the name of the doll.  If you can I'll gladly give it a rest.

If I'm twisting the point then explain the differnce between the doll and the name of the doll.  If you can I'll gladly give it a rest.

There is a doll called Barbie, the doll is perfectly innocent, calling a person barbie or comparing someone to barbie is an insult. It doesn't require someone to explain the difference between the doll and the insult for it to be clear there is a difference.

And you wonder why folk give up contributing to some threads!

And yet, I find myself wondering why some folk don't.

Because how we use language can attribute meanings to words that the word doesn't have when used in its original context.

So gollywog has taken on an offensive element (for some reason) not present in the initial object.  If that were the case then I would say an object with that name can take on the new offensive connotations of the language used to name it. Especially in this case where the doll is a caricature of a black man and the name gollywog is an insult directed at black people.

Because how we use language can attribute meanings to words that the word doesn't have when used in its original context.

So gollywog has taken on an offensive element (for some reason) not present in the initial object.  If that were the case then I would say an object with that name can take on the new offensive connotations of the language used to name it. Especially in this case where the doll is a caricature of a black man and the name gollywog is an insult directed at black people.
Its all a matter of context.

Its all a matter of context.

So were all of the Robertson's marmalade golliwog ornaments insulting the fantastic instrument players of, for example, New Orleans?  Or were they saying they were rubbish instrument players?  Or were they in recognition of those fantastic instrument players?  Why would a company like Robertson's intentionally insult?  The company states that they were not withdrawn because of the low number of complaints but for other reasons.