Gollywogs - is this guy for real?.

Kavi Ugl

Shetlink is different in that internet anonymity isn't guarenteed like most of the www. Can make things a bit harsh sometimes.

I get that! But when I'm daft enough to do something like this, the least I can do is own up to it. I'd rather I got the brickbats than friends / family!

My Grandfather was corrected in conversation for saying he would "like to go and get a chinky"

Chinky? Really? What next, cant call a black board a black board? Oh wait, thats happened too! Ba ba black sheep? Better not sign that anymore.

Okay let me put it this way would he (or yourself) call a friend or family member Chinky? Pakki? Wog? If you don't use that term for your own, you don't use it for anyone else.

To suggest that the term "Black" is racist I think personally is rather telling. PC has not gone mad, just folks like playing it up more to cover their insecurities. Several episodes of the BBC's"Clare in the Community" spring to mind as good examples.

Is it any different from alling a shelty a shelty? or a American a Yank?

My Grandfather was corrected in conversation for saying he would "like to go and get a chinky"

Chinky? Really? What next, cant call a black board a black board? Oh wait, thats happened too! Ba ba black sheep? Better not sign that anymore.

Okay let me put it this way would he (or yourself) call a friend or family member Chinky? Pakki? Wog? If you don't use that term for your own, you don't use it for anyone else.

I have a suspicion that the OPs granddad was referring to obtaining Chinese cuisine and not in fact suggesting that he would like to devour a person of Chinese origin..therefore he wasn't directing the term 'chinky' at a person but a food type....

Arthur Anderson expat Shetlander and co-founder of the P&O shipping line guaranteed any Shetland seaman a job on one of his ships if he wanted one.

How did he do this? He did it by sacking non-Shetland seamen and taking on Shetlanders at lower wages and on poorer terms and conditions – thus Shetlanders got the name ‘North Sea Chinamen’ because they were prepared to work on ships under poorer conditions than the ‘white man’.

I can tell you from own experience that you can be outwardly looking like a member of the "majority", but once certain elements find out you are not actually british you become the victim of rascism. Skin colour is not the only part that needs to be included - your nationality can have the same effect! :(

how would I feel about expressing my opinion if I was not part of the majority population? I suspect that is a question that most of us can only guess the answer to.

S

Thats a good question, you'd get less criticism if you were black probably.

I'd be more willing to take their viewpoint seriously, that's true. At least they wouldn't be being offended on behalf of someone who may not actually be offended in the first place........

Always best to get the opinion of those who are directly affected, IMO, before the shooting starts.

I guess you'd have to ask them! I know while living in England, I didn't enjoy being called a "sweaty" but kind of hard to object in a pub full of English guys watching the football....!

Works both ways as well. Been called an FEB loads of times - especially by some members of the West Coast massive that I know. Nice guys, but mention English incomers and watch them go purple....

how would I feel about expressing my opinion if I was not part of the majority population? I suspect that is a question that most of us can only guess the answer to.

S

Thats a good question, you'd get less criticism if you were black probably.

I'd be more willing to take their viewpoint seriously, that's true. At least they wouldn't be being offended on behalf of someone who may not actually be offended in the first place........Always best to get the opinion of those who are directly affected, IMO, before the shooting starts.

Hmm, but isn't the whole point here that somebody was actually offended and directly affected?

The bottomline is that rascism is wrong and nobody should just stand by and watch it happen, even if they are not directly affected. Maybe that is part of the world's problem: nobody wants to get involved and speak out! But everybody knows its going on. Just turn the other way and pretend not to see.

Hmm, but isn't the whole point here that somebody was actually offended and directly affected?

As I read it, yes, and no.

The only person who I've been aware of that has been offended and directly affected by the circumstances that lead to this debate, is stevejack3, who started the petition.

Now maybe its gone right over my head somewhere, but as far as I can understand, stevejack3 was not offended and directly affected on the grounds that they themsleves are coloured, and find a black doll offensive to their race. Rather that they were offended and affected because they were of the opinion that these black dolls might offend and affect some unknown coloured person, at some unknown future time, should a coloured person who took them that way happen to encounter them.

That, in my mind is akin to being offended by a knife or gun being offered for sale, on the grounds that at some unspecified future time, some as yet unknown person might use it to attack another person.

If I've wholly misunderstood stevejack3's stance and point(s) here, I stand corrected, but so far this is what I'm taking from this so far.