Sickly CRT Monitor?

Ghostrider

I have an elderly CRT Monitor here that has suddenly decided it wants to try to be a strobe light. Not so much a case of flashing on and off like one, but more like flicking the pages in a book. There are at least three copies of the desktop on the screen at any one time travelling forwards rapidly, the front one vanishes and reappears behind the other two copies, ad infinitum.

Quick question, to hopefully save me wasting an afternoon on trial and error. Which is most likely dying, the monitor itself, or the video/graphics gubbins in the tower?

Thanks.

Oh dear or dear, this is, indeed, a very serious and distressing problem. A quick Google gave this:-

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_A1423EC32CF84A9D848EF4D292C9D642&isLegacy=true

Yes, I know that refers to Win XP and that old heap is running on Windows 98 but there might be something in it. Scroll down the blooming page and You'll see it refers to electrical interference.

Yes, I will get on my knees (BUT ONLY THIS ONCE) and have a look at the cabling on the floor to see if the power supply is touching something but in all honesty, me thinks it is crying out for me to whack it in Chugger and drop it off in the skip. However, seeing as I'm a generous cow, I'll bring round my spare monitor and cable for You to use to ascertain if it is the monitor, the cable or anything in the PC itself. See you in a few minutes!

So how many graphics outlets does your computer have?. If you have the monitor connected to a graphics card and the computer has on-board graphics you could just change to the on-board graphics. Then again you could just hurl the monitor over the banks one night.

Yup, old monitor dying right enough. Cheers.

Thought it probably was, but somebody was making mutterings about video cards, so I figured I'd get a second opinion to avoid having to listen to "told ya!!!" all night. :lol:

Quick 5 mins of rejigging wires and we're on the road again with funky flat screen, kindly donated by....well, she knows who she is. :wink:

Crang of the old one already afore da door....awaiting full darkness to draw a discreet veil over its disposal. http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/Redneck_Hillbilly0504/Whistling.gif