Appointments at Lerwick health centre

peerielipper

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things may improve now

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/4221-health-centre-responds-to-critical-report.html

LERWICK Health Centre is to develop an action plan to improve patients experience in response to a critical survey.

The questionnaire, undertaken in November last year, highlighted severe shortcomings in the areas such as the ability to book a doctor’s appointment three days or more in advance and to see the preferred doctor.

The health centre scored also poorly in the overall arrangements for getting to see a doctor or a nurse, and the ability for patients to get through to the practise on the phone.

One hundred and fifty one patients of the 611 contacted responded be sending in feedback on their experiences.

Service manager at the health centre in Lerwick, Lisa Sutherland, said it was disappointing that some of the scores were not as high as NHS Shetland had hoped for.

She said that since the survey had been carried out a number of improvements had already been implemented, such as:

Patients can pre-book appointments with the GP of choice up to 4 weeks in advance;

Monday to Friday any patient needing to be seen urgently contacts the practice and is then given an appointment if they need to attend the practice. In addition, twice a week there are walk in clinic where patients can attend the practice without having a pre booked appointment. This is in direct response to patient requests for such a service;

patients can arrange a telephone call with a GP to discuss any issue that does not need face to face contact.

I tried to b appointment with my GP and was denied. I'm not being fussy but that is the GP I need to see. Got told if I wanted my own gp then I would have to keep phoning other just get a different gp. After the last gp I went to with the same concern Id rather not!

The statement says patients can book an appointment with a GP of their choice up to 4 weeks in advance. But this may have a flaw in that it is possible that all the appointments for "your" GP are already taken. Especially if you are wanting to see one of the more popular doctors. In which case yes keep phoning or, of you just want to talk rather than see your GP, try to book a telephone appointment.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow just tried to make an appointment at Lerwick health centre after being advised to do so by staff at the hospital last night. Never have I come against such a rude and unhelpful receptionist. I now know why so many seem to get angry when trying to get an appointment.

Wow just tried to make an appointment at Lerwick health centre after being advised to do so by staff at the hospital last night. Never have I come against such a rude and unhelpful receptionist. I now know why so many seem to get angry when trying to get an appointment.

Although the situation at the health centre seems to be shambolic, in my experience i've never had any of the reception staff be rude or unhelpful, just because they're not telling you what you want to hear doesn't mean they are being rude or unhelpful.

Maybe some of you lot need to change YOUR attitudes, go nextdoor to the Brevick and complain to the senior management about the state of the practice instead of coming on here spouting your sharn about reception staff, ya bunch o keyboard warriors.

Not keyboard warriors! Just giving an Opinion and I HAVE complained, obviously allot of people have complained if they have been looking into it (that's what I was told)

Good for you piggy, at least you're not on here lambasting the reception staff, thats what gets my back up. They're only doing their job and as the saying goes "You can only pish with the pilly you've got" ;0)

I'm registered at the the H.C but have never had to go.

My work means the best time for me to go is late on Friday afternoon.

I have a specific issue that I need medical advice on and not triage by the receptionist despite how good a job they do.

What's my chances of phoning up and booking an appointment for any Friday in the near future and gettting what I want without having to take a whole day off for something that doesn't stop me from gpoing to work?

I hear horror tales of trying to do this and I don't know that I can take potential beaucracy without blowing a gasket.

I suppose there is one way to find out.....