tv repair

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have a cheap tesco tv for over 10 years without a problem. contact shetland trading standards as its not fit for purpose. the one year warrenty end does not terminate your rights. however opening the tv could void any rights you have. if its a known fault they should be willing to sort it.

Honest truth.

If you are goig to buy a big expensive tv from the mainland , go to John lewis.

I bought a 50" plasma from Currys a few years back. £200 cheaper . I had to pay £ 60 to get it here.... £i40 cheaper.

Broke down in the one year guarantee. Send it back and get a replacement 3months later £120 .2x60. Replacement lasted 2 years but took out a 3 year extra guarantee extra cost £80.

£-60.

John Lewis Give free transport to us up here in Shetland and give us a 5 year guarantee.

My 3 year guarantee stood when the next one only lasted 2 years.

I was going south so took it with me ...No box

I was on hol and was in the shop on the way back they had my mobile #

The TV was fixed and in the shop early that morning but they phoned me to tell me after i boarded the boat at 4'45.

Can you send it in a Taxi.

No it's not in a box.

My Tv arrived at the ferry terminal twice the for some reason or other went to a store in England

After about £15 of phone calls to centres that charge a fortune I finally got a smashed TV delivered to Shetland four weeks later.

I phoned and told them i was going south in a months time and would be bringing this TV with me.

I now have a top of the range smart tv with a five year warantee but if it breaks down i will have to pay shipping to an from ..Min cost £120.

I'm sorry for being so long winded but that is the way it happened

I@m happy now with what i have but it is only weeks old.

Next time ????

expensive or even cheap tvs should last longer than a year or two. the shop store or website are the people you have a contract with.

Completely agree Paul, no matter how much you are spending you should be expecting more than a couple of years on the lifetime of a tv.

What I can't understand is why people still buy from south when one particular shop up here does great deals and is competitive and better in a lot of cases to what you can get online!!!

I have 2 Samsung tv's which I bought from Geordie Robertons, one was cheaper than i could get on the internet and the main one, in the living room, is a 40"(I think) LED which was £50 more than i could get it over the internet, an extra few notes worth paying incase something goes wrong, minimum £120 to send a tv south if it breaks..........NO THANKS!!!!

Paul B, I bought a flat screen tv from Tesco's for the spare room last year, paid around £180 for it, admittedly it was some obscure make, anyway, the picture is terrible. When I was walking down the aisle with it I had a gut feeling I was going to regret it, should have gone with my gut feeling, will not be purchasing a tv from them again :wink:

we got a 32inch from tesco our picture is fine. but i guess we were used to the old crt tv so the picture is sharper. if you can go for named brands and want to spend go for it but reseach the names the shops are selling they could easly be made in the same place.

I will be buying locally the next time no more tellies off the internet even if it is cheaper,had enough of all this faffing about,phoning Samsung later today.

The first telly i bought when I first moved up here was from bolts,that cost me £1600 best one in the shop they told me. 18 months later it developed black lines on the screen which was unwatchable,guess what,they could not fix it,well they could replace the board which would have been £400, That disgusted me hence the reason for going south for tellies. Now it has changed again and I will buy locally next time. Just no luck with them at all.

:x :x :x :x

we bought a 46in samsung tv from Hydro and paid 1500 for it and it started playin up after 2 years. it started switching itself on and off then a couple of months later it stopped working altogether. As we had paid so much for it i decided to contact samsung to complain as a tv should last alot longer as 2 and half years.

Samsung were great and sent a courier to pick up my tv (free of charge) and take it to Dundee to be repaired as the fault with my tv was a common one. when the repair had been carried out they tested it and only half the screen worked so they phoned me to tell me that they would be sending me a brand new upgraded tv which i received a few days later!

i was extremely impressed with the great service i received from Samsung!

ArabiaTerra:-

That is what I thought of but I have the satellite box next to it (2 gang) and that never goes off. I have put it back now, has not done it for a couple of days :roll: :roll: hence the reason for not contacting Samsung again. I could however ask the council to check my sockets.

Thanks for that. :) :)

burda:-

Not sure if this is a common problem with this type. Don`t get me wrong when I phoned Samsung they were very apologetic and all that and asked me to call them back if I did not get anywhere with Amazon,we shall see eh!!

If you are buying goods online it is best to check what warranty it has if any. Samsung TV's and many many other brands bought from Amazon have no manufacture warranty this is why they are cheaper. You can however contact Samsung and tell them it is not fit for purpose and they may help you out. Try not to mention the word Amazon when you call them as this won't help your case. I have been stung with this in the past and now buy locally as much as possible. Hope this helps

If you take the screws out and have a look you should be able to tell if the capacitors are blown, they will be bulged out on top with black fluid leaking out.

Not always though, there can be no visible signs - test with a multimeter. I've brought a few LCDs back to life by replacing cheap capacitors.

got a toshiba telly at xmas and had problems with the power it kept switching itself off and refusing to come on again. contacted toshiba and after 10 mins on the fone a new telly was delivered by streamline and the faulty one picked up.

0844 856 0730 option 1 gets you through to the tech help dept.