north isles ferries vs mareel

The biggest problem with the leisure centres is that they have become indispensible as the biggest user are the schools, so unless you want the bairns to have their PE in the local halls and go back to learning to swim in the sea we're kinda stuck with them. Schools service have to pay the SRT for the use of the leisure centres and they aren't funded by the SIC but by the Charitable Trust as far as I know.

As for Mareel, well as someone has already pointed out, Shetland Arts are not going to have to ask for money to run it as it will be able to not only break even but go on to make a profit in future years, or did I just dream that?

The biggest problem with the leisure centres is that they have become indispensible as the biggest user are the schools, so unless you want the bairns to have their PE in the local halls and go back to learning to swim in the sea we're kinda stuck with them. Schools service have to pay the SRT for the use of the leisure centres and they aren't funded by the SIC but by the Charitable Trust as far as I know.

The schools won't need to use the leisure centres because the SIC education dept. is hell-bent on closing most of the schools.

My point is that the Mareel might make a profit, or it might require a small subsidy, we'll have to wait and see.

While the leisure centres have never made a profit, never will make a profit and will always require a subsidy. Yet while people are queuing up to attack the Mareel before it has even opened, the Leisure centres get a free pass.

Why is that?

Yet while people are queuing up to attack the Mareel before it has even opened, the Leisure centres get a free pass.

Why is that?

What's the last thing you need when you've lots of infrastructure and facilities needing subsidies - even more...

For Mareel, it's track record for the council running most things for one and the unrealistic (fanatasy really) cafe/bar projections for another.

As well as entertainment, the Mareel will be used for educational needs. Shetland has a huge pool of talent, that can be enhanced and used to forward the Islands. As far as the comparison, two different Portfolios. No comparison really. As there will be minimal funding required, and there will be opportunities to get additional funding for adult education, grants for various groups that can be involved.

So far, the money spent is building something, slowly, but it is. Where did the money for the tunnels and bridge come from, and what did you get for that money?

I do not think they are cutting ferries to specifically pay for any project at the Mareel. Just a leading comment really.