Do you go out drinking in Shetland? / Lerwick pubs

Equality Street

How often (if at all) do you drink in Shetland  

89 members have voted

1. 1. How often (if at all) do you drink in Shetland

• Never
    • Very occasionally (a few times a year)
    • Once or twice a month
    • Most weekends

It was Baroc that spoilt it for me too. After going out every other weekend to the pubs around Lerwick, Baroc's opening made me realise that you didn't have to put up with grotty dives. I used to go into Baroc after work for a coffee. The place was clean with comfortable seating, nice lighting, modern and with a relaxed atmosphere. Obviously it had its drawbacks, like jazz on a Sunday afternoon, but otherwise it was a fine place. I was disappointed initially when it became a restaurant, but having eaten in there a few times I have to say that the only reason that I don't go more often is the cost.

On the very rare occasions that I have a drink now it either comes from the off licence on The Street or from Tesco. When I see the state that some roll out of the pubs I suspect that I miss the pubs no more than they miss me.

The Waterfront Bar & Grill is amazing.

Was in there the other day for my dinner, we wandered in at about 1230'ish. We were promptly seated ordered our food and when it arrived it was amazing, have to admit, for a lunchtime snack its the best Ive had in Lerwick.

What is even better is the price. Great food on par with the likes of Osla's if not cheaper.

I would highly recommend.

When I was a teenager and in my early 20's I was out every weekend.

I think when you get older your priorities change, especially if you have kids and a mortgage etc...

Me and wife maybe have a good bender 2 or 3 times a year but no more as that. I dunnu even drink that much at home these days, just a beer or glass of wine with dinner or in the evening. Just age I guess.

I think that if you are a parent and still go out binge drinking every weekend you maybe need to rethink what you're showing your kids.

Don't turn into one of those sad old men you see propping the same bit of bar they were when they were 25!

When I was a teenager and in my early 20's I was out every weekend.

I think when you get older your priorities change, especially if you have kids and a mortgage etc...

Me and wife maybe have a good bender 2 or 3 times a year but no more as that. I dunnu even drink that much at home these days, just a beer or glass of wine with dinner or in the evening. Just age I guess.

I think that if you are a parent and still go out binge drinking every weekend you maybe need to rethink what you're showing your kids.

Don't turn into one of those sad old men you see propping the same bit of bar they were when they were 25!

I am youngish.... I have NEVER been our every weekend. I don't think it's age that determines how much you go out. I think it's your own personal mentalitty. Since a young age I had it in my head I would own my

Own house before 20.

• 4 years later...

What has happened to the pub scene in Lerwick? Why are the pubs all so quiet these days, even on a Friday and Saturday night they aren't 'busy' like they used to be.

On a Friday and Saturday nearly all the bars were busy right from tea time until 11pm (or later), even during the afternoon on Saturdays you would meet plenty of folk out.

Thursday nights also used to be busy, with lots of pool teams out and I remember Flints being packed out later on on the Thursday night with live bands playing.

Posers even used to be open on a Wednesday!

I have spoken to a lot of folk who say they don't go out because nobody else goes out anymore. Why has this happened? Is it too expensive, is there nowhere good to go, is there no incentive to go out anymore, or what other reasons?

A few questions:

How would you get more folk out?

What would make you go out?

What would you like to see in Lerwick?

The only pub in Lerwick that has done any refurbishment in recent years is the Marlex and they seem to be fairly busy most nights. The rest have had it easy with the barges etc. They were packed without spending a penny. The pubs in Lerwick don't spend money on live bands like they used to. But there is a national trend to drinking at home now. I think the new drink drive rules also had an effect with folk worrying about the next day driving.

Is it not the case dat folk are just fed up wi da general standard (or lack of) o da local watering holes in da toon?  Most o da eens you walk into you can smell da toilets as soon as you open da door, your feet are sticking tae da floor on da way to da bar and some o da staff couldn't care if you get served or not. Dir's really not much tae entice you oot!

Some o da landlords should also take a trip Sooth and learn a few tips on how to run more family friendly establishments.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/aug/10/pricey-pints-blamed-as-21-british-pubs-a-week-call-time-at-the-bar

It is simple use them or lose them.

No point me complaining when they are gone as I seldom use them,but I know that it will take the sale of good few drinks to meet the overheads of keeping them open..