Do you go out drinking in Shetland? / Lerwick pubs

Equality Street

How often (if at all) do you drink in Shetland  

89 members have voted

1. 1. How often (if at all) do you drink in Shetland

• Never
    • Very occasionally (a few times a year)
    • Once or twice a month
    • Most weekends

Most staff are are probably a bit *issed off being on 0 hour contracts and working unsociable hours for peanuts.

That is the way the bar staff seem to see it  these days as far as I understand it,and it is mainly due to the lack of customers.

Hard times for some of them but agree if they spruced up the bars perhaps they might just get a bit more custom.

Nobody wants to go oot to da pubs and is it any wonder.  Dey are shocking & embarassing.  All you smell is urinal blocks and stinkin soiled clootie chairs!  Da landlords should take a trip to Kirkwall for any eye opener.  Dey used to be fairly rough too but wance one cleaned up dir act, dey all had to follow suit or loose da customers.  Now all dir pubs are excellent and dey serve food.  I cant name one pub in Lerwick dat I wid even eat crisps in never mind food!  And a grunt fae da bar staff when you interupt dem on dir phones says it all!  

This. There are good pubs in Shetland but few in Lerwick. Go to Orkney for a weekend and you see the difference. They actually seem to value customers including families through the day while they serve food. Considering the fortune the pubs made when the barges were here is it really a big ask for some money to be spent on making them a bit better?

A tourist in Lerwick looking for somewhere for a pint and something to eat must think Shetland is such a dump!

Personally, I have no interest in a drink unless I can share it with a fag.

:rofl:  You walked into this one, Ghostie:

https://youtu.be/-XNFokmDKrE

Yeah, well, this site was in need of some levity.

http://www.relatably.com/m/img/why-so-serious-meme-generator/frabz-WHY-SO-SeRIOUS-RELAX-a7937f.jpg

Maybe I'll buy the pink boat that's for sale on the Classifieds next, to complete my ensemble. ;-)

Personally, I have no interest in a drink unless I can share it with a fag.

:rofl:  You walked into this one, Ghostie:

https://youtu.be/-XNFokmDKrE

Yeah, well, this site was in need of some levity.

http://www.relatably.com/m/img/why-so-serious-meme-generator/frabz-WHY-SO-SeRIOUS-RELAX-a7937f.jpg

Maybe I'll buy the pink boat that's for sale on the Classifieds next, to complete my ensemble. ;-)

:???:  :???:  :???:  :???:  :???:  :???:  :???:

• 1 month later...

People seem to be drinking less. Folk at work that go out at the weekends are the exception rather than the norm these days. Our healthcare professionals will assure us that this is a good thing - people are caring more about their bodies and are worried about the harm alcohol can do mentally and physically, which is all very commendable.

But, in my uninformed and highly unscientific opinion, it does folk good to cut loose once in a while. More people seem depressed than I can ever remember. I'm sure the endless anti-depressant prescriptions being issued by our doctors are all well and good (and I'm certainly not suggesting booze should take the place of perscribed medication!), but I find that a good pi$$-up is the best antidote to the  9-5 routine most of us find ourselves in.

Sure, it's not for everyone  - I know from experience that there are some people who absolutely should not drink. Happily I'm not one of them, and despite the increasing magnitude of the hangovers as I get older, a life completely free of booze is a grim scenario which I have no wish to entertain.

Edited by Equality Street