Loud exhausts.

onlyjim

I looked but couldn't find another thread about this.

Have any of you had neighbours constantly revving their cars with

Loud exhausts on such a regular basis that it is driving you mad.

It's mostly young lads with modified exhausts that they seem to think we all like to hear.

there are laws against all sort of things but the law about exhausts is very vague.

I got stopped once with a burst exhaust and told by the police to get it seen to.

It was nowhere near the noise that these guys are putting out.

I have asked politely and after a time asked unpolitely but still it continues in a neighbourhood where the average age is 60+ so no one wants to complain.

I am on the verge of going to the police but there has to be another Can anyone advise me on any options i have.

Apart from putting up with it and doing nothingsolution.

It's not just the neighbour but his friends come with their similarly loud cars and think it is open season.

On days when everyone parks in their driveways and the street is clear it's a lock your cats upo and hope your grand bairns don't run out onto the normally sheltered road/dragstrip.

Does anyone have any advise on what to do apart from bury your head and ignore it

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, you have taken the words right out of my mouth here. Where I live, it's a lovely quiet rural spot with a 30mph limit throughout, but still close to the town.

That changed recently, I'm afraid, particularly at weekends, where some loons who moved into a rental property have started attracting or inviting the entire cast of extras from "The Fast and the Stupid". They rev the cars up repeatedly, take them for quick burn-ups south out of the village and onto the main road, accelerating atrociously and trying (failing!!) to imitate Jensen Button. All in a 30mph zone. The road is single track, with no pavement, minimal verges, no lighting and there are bairns living around about. These idiots take no cognisance of this because - well, obviously - they learned to drive in Shetland and their 6 months to 2 or 3 years of driving has made them the best, fastest, safest things on the road. :roll:

I would advise you to contact your local anti-social behaviour co-ordinator, at SIC, and/or the Police, when these idiots get out of hand. You'd be amazed by how many of them lack insurance or are driving cars with numerous faults and defects. Insist on a police presence where they can attend - you don't have to take a visit from Police afterwards, and can remain anonymous, but it helps if you give them registration numbers of offending vehicles before they come out, so they know who they're looking for.

Don't go thinking its not something to bother the Police with, Jim. It IS.

What REALLY annoys me, though, is late night weekends, when their moronic pals burn up south out of the village, so loud and so fast that they wake my children. It's happened every week so far and when my young bairns are affected, then this is why I'm not taking it any more.

Where I live, we have a local community group and I intend to make representation there about it, as well as seek out and discuss the issue with the owners of the property, who, I believe, are good people.

Don't put up with it. If you do, your quality of life is affected. It's like a neighbour playing loud music all the time. They'll say it's their "right" to do so, but you have the right to live in peace in your own home. And you can be the best driver in the world, but if you're speeding and driving like an utter moron, as these "boy racers" do, all it takes is one drunk or poor driver coming the other way, and you're not going home tonight. The road fatalities in Shetland speak for themselves. Most are these "invulnerable" young fools, high on life (and sometimes other intoxicants), blinded to their own mortality and that of other road users, whether on foot or in a car.

I've lived all over Scotland, and I've rarely seen so many young men (and women) in such high performance motors as up here. It's obviously too much temptation, but the first time they realise their stupidity might be the last. Then there's a family, or families, getting a knock on the door telling them their son or daughter aren't coming home tonight, or any other. A lifetime of sadness and regret for the families, who then are the REAL victims of needless speed-inflicted road deaths.

But, as I say, the mentality is, "it'll never happen to me"... yeah, right. :?

My sympathy to you, Jim, but I hope you are able to address the issue to your satisfaction.

The noise I can live with, what irritates the life outta me the image created.

C'mon, if you're going to try and sound like at least a 3 litre, you can only pull it off with at least 3 litres in the hole. When you do it with no more than 1 litre and a sneeze, the only impression it gives is that your clutch is slipping like hell, or your engine is so shot the majority of your compression is blowing off through the sump instead of firing the drive train.

i totally understand this topic..... where i live there is an individual who seems to pride himself on revving his car for hours in the middle of the night and driving up and down the wee road in front of the houses. Im literly at snapping point as this past weekend he really outdid him self and in turn keeping my daughter who is not very well up all night!!!!!!! you can imagine my feeling towards him and that junk pile he calls a car the following morning.

and i know there is no point in calling the police as im pretty sure they are aware of these 'boy racers' and just dont do much about it. and if i was to call the council.. i would be told to keep a log for months on end.... well frankly months of keeping logs does not help the health of those who are kept up night after night.

i may slip and accidently spill a bag of nails over the car park ....... :twisted:

A spud and/or banana tends to work wonders when shoved up an old banger's rear end, I hear.

Edit: Failing that, I remember doing this to deal with inconsiderate peeps blocking my car in every Sunday morning near a certain flower market elsewith in East London ...

... Take some eggs and crack them on the offending windscreen(s). Add the odd tomato that's on the turn. Okay, may not be the best solution but a damn sight friendlier than supergluing the locks and you can guarantee they never park in the same location again! :twisted: Not sure if it would work so well up here given the certain lack of the sun.

A spud and/or banana tends to work wonders when shoved up an old banger's rear end, I hear.

And it does a good job up an exhaust too.....

Why not phone the police? It's no different to somebody constantly playing loud music, coupled with the fact that it is bloody dangerous if on single track roads, with kids playing nearby.

If enough folk complain then the police should be duty bound to do something about it.

the police are usless.

i had to call them once cos my daughetr was bullied th the point where she came home physically injured with a bleeding head. and what did the police do... told me to keep her inside and away form the play park when the bully was there!!!!!!!!!!!!! my child was the one being punished by having to be kept in while the bully was alllowed to run around doing whatever. if the police cant be bothered in a situation like that they wont care less about a boy racer with a loud car.

And it does a good job up an exhaust too.....

Why not phone the police? It's no different to somebody constantly playing loud music, coupled with the fact that it is bloody dangerous if on single track roads, with kids playing nearby.

If enough folk complain then the police should be duty bound to do something about it.

Police don't respond to loud music anymore, they refer you to the SIC.

The police obviously don't seem to bothered about the "boy racers". Easy pickings would be the Victoria Pier on a Saturday Night.

No, if you call police after SIC all go home, and tell them your neighbour has the stereo at 200 decibels, they HAVE to come out. Obviously their work is prioritised and there's not many of them at any one time, but a complaint is a complaint.

SnowFlake, don't know what to say about this one, other than it seems like a bad decision made. I'd call their boss and discuss it with them if you're not happy with the outcome of anything like this.

No, if you call police after SIC all go home, and tell them you're neighbour has the stereo at 200 decibels, they HAVE to come out. Obviously their work is prioritised and there's not many of them at any one time, but a complaint is a complaint.

SnowFlake, don't know what to say about this one, other than it seems like a bad decision made. I'd call their boss and discuss it with them if you're not happy with the outcome of anything like this.

My son was bullied also at school. The school didn't want to do anything and initially, the Police didn't want to know ... until I got the hospital report and pointed out my son was the victim of ABH and not only would I file a complaint against the Police if they failed to treat the matter seriously, but likewise with the school, I'd take legal action against them. Such authorities are entrusted by us mere pleps to look after our offspring.

What gets me regarding noise, etc., is the wishy-washy attitude these days, namely by being referred in many instances to "mediation". Blow that, why the hell should you attend mediation when you ain't the cretin committing the offence?

Couldn't agree more. I was offered mediation by a certain bearded councillor, over a wholly one-sided dispute regarding access to my property (thread is in the agriculture section). I refused, because not once had the other party shown me anything but cold arrogance and a complete lack of concern over my and my family's situation. Boy, I think this councillor took the hump! They sent two ladies out to see me, but I sent them away again. By the time it reached the council hearing, said councillor had changed his position completely, offering full support to the other party. Not to be trusted. Ever.

But, as you say, US, I had done nothing wrong, so I don't see why I should be called on to "compromise" with such persons, to their advantage and my disadvantage.

Forget it! In my experience, it's just another means of their tidying your complaint away, washing their hands of it. :x

Adapting your car could affect the insurance. I cannot remember if it comes under construction and use.

The council can be involved as the noise is an environmental issue, if it is happening at a regular spot, and depriving others of peaceful use.

Why do folk on here tell other folk not to bother complaining to the authorities because they will not do anything? A retarded piece of advice, they have to take these complaints, the police will have to log them. If no one bothers to complain, how will they know what level the annoyance is.

Get complaining and get it sorted. Failure to make a complaint lets the situation continue that much longer.

A retarded piece of advice, they have to take these complaints, the police will have to log them.

The police may very well log them, but what people are saying is the police don't respond to the complaints.

For example: People complain about parking, yet there is not a cop car in sight.

So dissatisfied at previous lack of response then people are inclined not to repeat the experience.

The log will show the level of complaint, the Police should have meetings with councils and other agencies. We have PACT meetings as well, ir there is no formal meetings between the Police and the community, that is the first thing that needs to be asked for, if there is, raise the complaint there, why do nothing?

Folk need to organise themselves, instead of waiting for others to do it for them..

An example of public interaction and other agencies is here

http://www.chorley.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1985&p=0

I would imagine it would depend on how much of this does really annoy folk.

There are community councils as well, it is there for these sorts of things, councillors are also part of it.