Loud exhausts.

onlyjim

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, Harley Sportsters - 883cc of pure low down torque. Ah, I remember it well, all in bits in me front room, 2 floors up (no lift). I also remember what absolute turdes they were if you didn't change the jets to suit the seasons and if you didn't change the carb to something like a Dellorto (spelling?) they had a lurvely habit of shooting flames out the side, which could render many a burn to the male's family jewels.

Oops, silly me ... what was that about the bairns teaching us? :wink:

Edit: So you weren't into panheads at all then eh Scoots? :lol:

US, mine was a 1974 1000cc (still with right foot shift) And that's exactly how my mate used to re-build the engine, but in his bedroom! It was the old Ironhead, without doubt probably the loudest most raucous twin-stroke Harley ever produced (then they calmed it right down into the "softer" Evo' engine later).

But as for panheads, give me ANY Harley, in those per-marital days, and I'd have crawled across broken Sglass with GhostRider's dodgy couch strapped to my back, to get to one, if it was on offer!! :D The Sportster was the only thing I could afford at the time, as I was trying for 1st mortgage and I got it for a really good price, (which I always attribute to having a couple of mates with me, one the mechanic, the other a right evil looking b*st*rd!! The seller seemed to have a bit of history with the latter, who never would tell me the story behind it, but while I was checking the bike with my mechanic mate, I think he did some "negotiating" for me!

But honestly, what he or someone else had done to that bike was a sin. Not an inch not caked or covered in rust, unable to start, barely able to move... yeeesh!! Still, I bought a heap of what looked like sh*t and by the time my mate was through with it, and it had a new paint job, I had a classic bike that sold in a wee bidding war! (sob!)

Any Harley - and I mean ANY Harley - is a thing of joy and beauty to me, compared to the "knacker-yer-back" riceburner brigade. But me wife comes first, and a promise given is a promise kept... (sob!)

jees you guys know your stuff about cars. i have to say i love the note of a 6cylinger, like my skyline. 2.5 6cyl turbo on its way to 550 bhp and thats 18 years old now!. im not keen on all the new cars bogged down with electrics. you could say im old fashioned with my tunning.

Nothing wrong with the British Vincent, would prefer one that started easily though. What was your friends Harley like to ride?

Vinny?

Many years ago, the engine noise was described by one journo as "sounding like someone dragging a gas cooker down a cobbled street" :lol:

Cracking bikes...but the brakes were pants. My mate had a fully restored Black Shadow about 12 years ago. (Note 'restored' not 'improved').

First time he decided to let it rip a bit was on the Brackley bypass, really enjoyed himself until he got to the roundabout at the end of the dual. He'd been closing rapidly on a police car in front of him but expected plod to carry on straight across.

Unfortunately, some nugget entering the roundabout from the other side must have been from Lerwick as they did a right hander at speed without bothering to let Plod know by indicating....

Plod came a brisk halt and my mate had a brown trouser moment as he braked...and braked....and braked as hard as he could....and braked again... Luckily he managed to steer past the now stationery ass end of the Traffic car and came to an undignified sharp halt, sprawling forward over the handlebars and only just stopping the bike from toppling sideways, alongside the Plod drivers door.

The window glided down and the completely expressionless traffic cop said "They don't make brakes like they used to - do they, Sir?" and then drove off with his mate killing himself laughing in the passenger seat.....

Happy days.....

CBX? Not a patch on the Benelli 900 sei.

The Benny would outhandle it anyday and the Brembo brakes would still be good an a current bike - brilliant they were.

The Benny would outhandle it anyday and the Brembo brakes would still be good an a current bike - brilliant they were.

DO NOT MENTION BENELLI 900 sei. My ex-husband (Yep, been married more than once) had one. Ah, there we are, after the big(gest mistake in my life) day, setting off for the honeymoon to the Isle of Wight (I know, I should have known then ...) when ...

... just miles in the middle of nowhere in Kent (turns out now to be where the Eurotunnel passenger terminal is) the bleeding thing breaks down. It did that frequently. The electrics were poo. Six cylinders yet you'd be lucky to get it running on all for more than a week without something going wrong with it. Biggest heap of rubbish I've seen in my life.

Scoots, this particular Harley was from the mid-60s.

You bringing back all my old biking memories now prior to when I got my own bike (Yeah Ghostie, I went for a two stroke cos I got tiny hands and it don't matter so much if you do a naff gear change on a two stroke LOL).

I remember us getting stopped on the Harley because of the apparently loud exhaust and number plate. Cop didn't like it when I didn't want to take my lid off and kept calling me Sir. B/f explained I was ill and in a rush to get to hossie. Cop didn't believe us and reckoned he was "pulling a fast one" (Err, it wasn't THAT fast).

Cop couldn't let us go quick enough when I did take my lid off and saw I had chicken pox.

DO NOT MENTION BENELLI 900 sei. My ex-husband (Yep, been married more than once) had one. Ah, there we are, after the big(gest mistake in my life) day, setting off for the honeymoon to the Isle of Wight (I know, I should have known then ...) when ...

... just miles in the middle of nowhere in Kent (turns out now to be where the Eurotunnel passenger terminal is) the bleeding thing breaks down. It did that frequently. The electrics were poo. Six cylinders yet you'd be lucky to get it running on all for more than a week without something going wrong with it. Biggest heap of rubbish I've seen in my life.

:lol:

Mine was fine - but definitely suffered with the curse of 70's/early 80's Eytie electrics. I had an intermittent non-start/sudden death fault that I eventually traced back to crud in the sidestand cutout switch, I just bypassed the switch. Cured. Quite common apparently.

Apart from that it was fine...as long as you didn't leave it out overnight and expect it to start on a damp morning.....

And I forgave the dodgy electrics, the terrifyingly expensive duplex chain and double sprockets that it could destroy with wallet punishing regularity - and the twin fuel taps (one on each side) that would always need switching to reserve as you were cranked over on a roundabout or diving in front of a truck just before a blind bend (try putting both taps onto reserve and controlling the bike at the same time) :shock: ...

.....because the noise it made when you dropped it down and wound it wide open was worth ALL the negatives.....

So..getting back on topic...a well sorted fourstroke sounds great, but not some crappy family hatchback with a chrome beancan and speakers with more poke than the enjun.

Give it a rest, clowns. When people point at you as you thrash past in a cloud of blue smoke with wings flapping in the breeze and the mickeymouse airdam grinding into the tarmac - they ain't gasping in awe.

They're pishing themselves laughing.