Loud exhausts.

onlyjim

^ ...and they're all human (allegedly), so by default they'll only get off their arses and do something if they fear they're about to have them kicked if the sit on them any longer.

Unless of course, its something that affects them personally.

In theory, all may be hunky dory, in practice more ticking boxes on forms and shuffling bits of paper gets done than changes are actually made on the ground.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The log will show the level of complaint, the Police should have meetings with councils and other agencies. We have PACT meetings as well, ir there is no formal meetings between the Police and the community, that is the first thing that needs to be asked for, if there is, raise the complaint there, why do nothing?

Folk need to organise themselves, instead of waiting for others to do it for them..

An example of public interaction and other agencies is here

http://www.chorley.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1985&p=0

I would imagine it would depend on how much of this does really annoy folk.

There are community councils as well, it is there for these sorts of things, councillors are also part of it.

Oh, get real, SP. Community Councils don't really have any power. Besides, some of us pay our Council Tax and regardless of that, we're entitled to a level of service from the Police without the necessity of having to go to our SIC Councillor or the local Community Council. I, for one, would be quite annoyed if the Police responded solely to elected bodies yet had ignored the individual complainant(s).

I would suggest you may want to stick your head above the smokey haze. There have been involvement meetings for may moons, so, perhaps you may need to get realistic and go to some of these meetings instead of commenting without any apparent experience.

These groups work very well throughout the country, they bring all the agencies together to formulate a response to the whole problem rather than the result.

Community councils do not have power as you say, but they have a voice. I am afraid your thoughts there are the sort that can stifle progress through dogma.

Community councils here get quite allot done, they do this by attending other meetings you have delegated them to do, as a community.

Another fact is many pay council tax, which is only a small portion of what is spent, and yes, some go to community councils.

an Example

http://www.communitydirectory.shetland.gov.uk/dunrossness-community-council-i869.html

Some more here

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/coins/allCommunityCouncils.asp?page=0&rec=19

A councillor is the voice of many. Even the lowly community councillor, as you see them.

If you do not want to be involved in the community and how it helps it self, then really, how can you comment about the way it does.

And I'd appreciate it if you would stop being so damn patronising by assuming that in my life that I have never been to a community council meeting.

Yeah, add to that the fact I simply did not have a clue that council tax makes up a small proportion for some local authorities as to the actual amount spent - perish the thought that I previously worked for an LA. You ain't the only person on the planet with a brain.

"A councillor is the voice of many"? Really? Because in the experience I have had with them, it seems they pick and choose who they speak for, and about what, and when. One, in particular, seems to make a habit of spouting guff and twisting facts in inappropriate settings, where all it will do is provoke controversy and prolong his reputation as a "maverick", a "lone wolf", a "man of principle" where no-one else has any! In reality, he is a useless blowhard that causes trouble and strife, and, in one case, tens of thousands of public money because he could not follow YOUR advice, sir, and make representations in the right settings, or follow the requirements for the code of conduct of a councillor, with which I believe you may be acquainted? No, instead he beats his drum to all and sundry, rather than working with others and negotiating or debating so as to "bring all the agencies together to formulate a response to the whole problem rather than the result.".

I rather suspect he has developed a liking for seeing and hearing his name in the Press.

"the voice of many"... :roll:

Guest CyprusPluto

I have great sympathy for anyone who has to live with this noise constantly. Kids will be kids, but there is a limit to how much noise everyone else has to put up with. So come on lads think of your neighbours and limit the time you spend revving the engines.

PS This comes from someone who thinks a deep growl from an exhaust is one of the most wonderful sounds on the planet. Give me a decat exhaust, a V8 growl or the rumble of a V12 and it's heaven. But it isn't for everyone.

It's fine on a race-track, but in a small, quiet village? The other day their pal chose to come by at lunchtime to show off his Honda Civic (why??? :roll: ) revving it right up through the red line, it sounded like. Again and again and again. I think they got a kick out of seeing folk round about being disturbed and looking to see who the immature little tw*t was.

In small places I have lived in before, folk tend to put up with this for only so long before things come to a head. I hope that doesn't happen here, which is why, as I say, I intend to speak to the owners and the local Community group about it.

I do not intend to walk away from this.

I looked but couldn't find another thread about this.

Have any of you had neighbours constantly revving their cars with

Loud exhausts on such a regular basis that it is driving you mad.

It's mostly young lads with modified exhausts that they seem to think we all like to hear.

there are laws against all sort of things but the law about exhausts is very vague.

I got stopped once with a burst exhaust and told by the police to get it seen to.

It was nowhere near the noise that these guys are putting out.

I have asked politely and after a time asked unpolitely but still it continues in a neighbourhood where the average age is 60+ so no one wants to complain.

I am on the verge of going to the police but there has to be another Can anyone advise me on any options i have.

Apart from putting up with it and doing nothingsolution.

It's not just the neighbour but his friends come with their similarly loud cars and think it is open season.

On days when everyone parks in their driveways and the street is clear it's a lock your cats upo and hope your grand bairns don't run out onto the normally sheltered road/dragstrip.

Does anyone have any advise on what to do apart from bury your head and ignore it

jim i know who you are. you complain about noise? coming from the guy that has a old heap of an L200 with dead glow plugs turning over for 5 mins EVERY morning, kicking blue oily reek out the back! oil puddles all over the town coming from your leaking sump! to noitfy people what kind of person ONLYJIM is we saved his wife and his house when it went on fire! we risked our own lives to make sure his wife was safe and also stopped there house burning to the ground (that HE caused laying felt) until the fire brigade came! ...... did you even say thank you????? no you didnt!

you dont see us complaining about you. yes a few of our friends have loud exhausts and i can apologise on there behalf but i cant make them change there exhausts. my car is a classic super car. you cannot get a lower DB exhaust! many classic cars are just loud and have relaxed mot regulations on noise. i can assure you also that we are law abiding and our cars are perfectly road legal not to mention friendly guys.

there is a difference between as said "boy racers" and people who love and live by motors!

i am not from shetland. i do however notice that there is ALOT more interest in cars/bikes up here. the reason in my eyes is there is nothing else for these boys and girls to do at night apart from play with there cars and bikes. i sujest a place outside town where these guys can go, away from houses.... a skid pan... a drag strip...a drif track... a go-cart track..... as soon as you have a place where they can congrigate there is no longer going to be loud fast " boyracer cars " blasting around town and dangerous roads.

as others have said about speeding on single track roads where kids are around i completely agree, i have no respect nor time for anyone that could put another person/child in danger. there is a time and a place.

but also violence does not solve everything so egging cars would deffinatly be a bad idea in shetland. a good bolocking (on there own) always sorted me out when i was younger. give that a try

^LOL :lol:

Two sides to every story.

I'm still a boy racer at nearly 50, afraid it's in the blood - and it's a Shetland thing 8)

Yup, I guess we sometimes had loud exhausts as well....only difference, for some of us at least, it was because they'd long since fallen off, or been torn off going over a broo, and not because we'd bought a chrome plated flattened beer can from Burger's or Mac & Macs, and carefully attached it. :lol:

Yup, I guess we sometimes had loud exhausts as well....only difference, for some of us at least, it was because they'd long since fallen off, or been torn off going over a broo, and not because we'd bought a chrome plated flattened beer can from Burger's or Mac & Macs, and carefully attached it. :lol:

hahaha

I.S if you have a problem with us come and knock on our door, we're the fast and stupid crew ;) looking forward to our chat!

now now currie, there is ways and means of sorting out problems. the civilised way and the gavbey way ;) . we should always respect the comunity as at the end of the day these are the people that can help us with fund raising for track-days at unst like there used to be. as said before its not just young people that are intrested in motors either.

i think we just need help to organise days out with the cars and bikes, i don't know who we would speak to about that tho....??

Currie, if you're in Walls, I'm not, so you might have that bit wrong. Same as the "Fast & Stupid crew" bit. That referred to those who visit the neighbours, not them, themselves, as I've never seen or heard them doing such.

And if that was intended to warn, intimidate or frighten me, it doesn't.

If it wasn't so intended, and you are the neighbour in question, maybe we will have a chat about your friends.

Hi I.S, we're the boys that rent the house or as you said the cast of the fast and stupid, our cars are not loud and none of them have huge cans as exhaust's and as for our friend with the civic, he's not our friend and he's doesn's come this way to visit us, his friend lives ner here! We dunna drive iraticaly around the area and none of our friends that visit have loud exhaust's to as 90% of them are diesel's!! It's petty sad that you sit and type this rubbish! If you have a real problem come and talk to us.