Charity sponsors local soccer

daveh

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sponsoring a football team is reaching a demographic who are in most need of help with their mental health and are most unlikely to do something about it.

Are you suggesting that footballers are a little 'unstable' :D

Read the last line of my post

Suicide is one of the prime causes of death in young men.

Having one of my family suffer from depression for several years I am keen to get the message out in any way possible.

If I give money to a charity, I expect it to be spent (more or less) directly on the 'object' of the charity. I would not expect it to be spent on a sponsoorship UNLESS the recipient was directly involved with the cause.

Far to much of a 'take the money and run' attitude up here to convince me that Shetland footballers really care to much about people with mental health problems.

So with your logic are you saying that all the different charities shouldn't be putting expensive adverts on TV, the RNLI should stop printing stickers for folks car windows, pencils, dish-towels etc with their emblem on it, the Samaritans shouldn't produce signs with their phone number on it and fix them to bridges etc etc, because they aren't being 'directly spent on the 'object' of the charity'? Really? How are charities expected to raise money if nobody ever hears of them!

Wouldn't it be better to leave some leaflets in the changing rooms on match days? That would surely give out information about the problem and where to go for help.

Similarly, Alcoholics Anonymous could leave leaflets for their organisation, perhaps.

Do you think that with such a difficult subject as mental health that leaving a few leaflets strewn around the changing rooms is the best approach?

For people of all ages, but I would say more so for younger males, there is still a certain stigma attached to mental health, so can you really imagine a young man picking up a leaflet in front of all his team-mates and putting it in his pocket or sitting reading it in front of them? I can't. Similar for Alcoholics Anonymous.

Why put leaflets out which will reach only the 22 people playing the game on that particular day, when you can 'advertise' it and everybody sees it, including the supporters, their families, the people reading the sports report in the paper, people out walking their dogs by the pitch...... far greater coverage than some poorly placed leaflets.

I assume that since you started this thread in a somewhat negative vibe that you yourself contribute to this particular charity and don't think your money is being well spent?

Seeing as everybody nows seems to think that it's just fine to take a pop at me, perhaps you might all be interested in my 'perspective' and, the next time you feel like telling me off, think about it first.

In the not to distant past, I personally have suffered from 'mental health problems' (depression etc.)

I'm not afraid to admit it to anyone and, for what it's worrth, I 'cured' myself.

No doctors, no pills and, most importantly, no idiotic do-gooders who like to think that THEY know what the problem is.. Afet all it's their JOB isn't it..

Advertising any of their help by sponsoring a football/netball/hockey/rugby (or whatever) sport will ultimately achieve nothing more than a little ill placed recognition with people who don't really care that a problem exists and only serves to divert much needed resources from the 'real' issues faced by sufferers.

If that's not PC enough for you then, tough. Go stroke a bunny or hug a tree or something. The money could have been better spent elsewhere...

Daveh, I can't help but notice you were pretty quick to skin out of what ever issue you had when you noticed that the majority of people who posted to your original post thought this was a positive idea. As soon as there may be a hint of someone who might agree with you you're back in! :roll:

Anyway I can't see the problem, it's not a lot of money and I believe it will target a percentage of people who undoubtedly are in the top bracket of people who would need help but maybe too unsure to come forward about it ie young males in their 20's and 30's.

Good on Mind Your Head for having a bit of foresight and at least the money is accounted for! Can you say that with a lot of charities nowadays?.....in fact don't answer that, keep on topic! :D

I can actually believe that a local charity with all the good intent in the world here is having to dodge bullets from the minority few again on good old Slaglink! :roll:

Can some of you negative people give me 1 good reason how this won't benefit Mind Your Head themselves or that of the people it is trying to reach! Some of you lot need to try and broaden your horizons.

On the radio last night, it appears that there are plans to encourage the footballers to take part in the annual charity fundraiser - the round Spiggie run. So it could be that Mind Your Head will actually make an overall gain from the goodwill resulting from their sponsorship.

On top of that committment from the Association President, the local football team in the South mainland help the fun run by providing Marshalls for the route as part of a sponsorship agreement with Mind Your Head.

Seeing as everybody nows seems to think that it's just fine to take a pop at me, perhaps you might all be interested in my 'perspective' and, the next time you feel like telling me off, think about it first.

In the not to distant past, I personally have suffered from 'mental health problems' (depression etc.)

I'm not afraid to admit it to anyone and, for what it's worrth, I 'cured' myself.

No doctors, no pills and, most importantly, no idiotic do-gooders who like to think that THEY know what the problem is.. Afet all it's their JOB isn't it..

Advertising any of their help by sponsoring a football/netball/hockey/rugby (or whatever) sport will ultimately achieve nothing more than a little ill placed recognition with people who don't really care that a problem exists and only serves to divert much needed resources from the 'real' issues faced by sufferers.

If that's not PC enough for you then, tough. Go stroke a bunny or hug a tree or something. The money could have been better spent elsewhere...

You really don't know how to take a hint, do you? Okay, I've thought about it, as you've suggested and ...

... the clue is in JON's post - the history of how and why the charity was set up, and not just what is on their website.

Can we not just be a tad more respectful? The charity has perfectly good reasons for their actions.

I assume that since you started this thread in a somewhat negative vibe that you yourself contribute to this particular charity and don't think your money is being well spent?

I contribute to various charities and have raised thousands through my marathon running efforts in the past. Of course, I don't know where the funds ended up but hope that they were put to good purpose.

The point I was making was that simply calling a football league, the "Mind Your Head League" doesn't in itself get a "message" across. Of course, the name will be known via the sponsorship but it is the need for the message to be relayed that I referred to leaflets as an alternative.

Raising the matter in the first instance wasn't a case of me being negative at all but, hey, you can see it how you want to.