planning

I think you will find planning, like many large organisations, are bound by certain rules and regulations developed over many years.

Speaking personally I have found the staff helpful but the system slow.

Any problems encountered have mainly been due to my poor attitude and lack of patience.

Expect the process to take two years rather than two months and it will be a far easier and stress free experience for you.

Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

Yes people generally helpful but system very slow. Not only that more often than not the person you need to speak to is on holiday so your application grinds to a halt.

However, building control always been fast and helpful with me. Suppose in all cases depends on the officer.

I've found that the most important thing to the planning dept, above all less, is to get applications processed and out the door as fast as possible. They got an award recently for the speed with which they handled cases, didn't they?

From my experience there is a grave disregard for whether something should be approved or not - the decisions taken are those that are the least time consuming.

They're messing with people's lives, but hey, so long as they're quick about it!

:x

There are time limits that are applied. If the Planning Dept or Committee fail to give an answer in an allotted time, the applicant can appeal, this cost the council, that is you the tax payer thousands. Much is done via delegated decision, that is a chief planning officer and the portfolio holder will make the decision. A councillor can ask that the application be brought to committee, or if there are a number of complaints that are about planning issues. The same time limit applies, if the committee hearing is after the dead line, the applicant can still appeal, one way or the other, as can members of the public or other interested parties, though, you will need sound representation. The last appeal that was successful here cost the tax payer about £6,000. Now, imagine that being a huge complicated application requiring many experts and reports, you could multiply that by ten, or even one hundred.

Planning Laws are changing, not always for the good.

The Scottish Government changed the rules that a lot mores stuff now can either be rubber stamped or delegated easier. Another problem is that if people do object a lot of the time it is not on planning grounds, so the planners hands are tied. Time wise a lot of the problem is the applicant not supplying enough information or through the consultation more info being needed from the applicant.

I recently objected to a planning application (as a consultee) as it the application clearly did not comply (even remotely) with Shetland's local plan. The application was rubber stamped none-the-less (gotta keep those desks clear mind).

This tactic of 'approve everything' is the easiest route for planners because, unlike the applicant, there is no appeals process for consultees . Approve everything and to hell with how it affects folk - if they can't appeal, they don't matter. They may fear the applicant's power to appeal and the subsquent costs incurred but everyone else is powerless.

This post may all sound harsh but my opinion has been formed by actual events and experience.