Would a scrap yard be a good idea?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been looking for a cheap alternator for my car. i was thinking of all the scrapyards down the road and wondered why shetland doesn't have one or more

would it be a good idea for the firm that picks up the scrap cars to offer this service?

By the time a car gets scrapped up here its generally quite old and very dead, that and so many people leave them on their own land in order to supply themselves with spare parts and perhaps others. I know we do that.

Also I dont think the amenity trust are allowed to offer parts on vehicles they collect. Though im not sure what is stopping them.

But yes a scrapyard would be good addition.

Few issues that may have stopped it that I can think of is planning permission, cost of insurance and generally the amount of folk that would use the service. In a place as small as Shetland I would think the user base would be too small to support the running costs.

Ha ha running costs, a pikey in a portacabin and a rotweiler.

Fine example of the underlying racism in Shetland.

There are many hurdles with this, not as simple as the above quote.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/1916/contents/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2635/contents/made

If someone wants to do this, S.I.C. would be your first point of call, also contact the Motor Vehicle Dismantlers Association of Great Britain

http://www.mvda.org.uk/contact.aspx

I thought we had one, sort of.... Charlie Barton was advertising to buy scrap cars, and at the same ttime advertising used spare parts for sale. That was some months ago, has he stopped that??

Most garages, especially country ones will have a few wrecks lying around. Something usually non make/model specific like an alternator shouldn't be too difficult to pick up from one of them.

Shetland used to have numerous "scrapyards", but relentless brain washing from certain quarters of pseudo-officialdom along with methaphorical arm-twisting and not so veiled comments about "usgly" and "it scares the touries" have pretty much killed them off. There ain't enough demand/money in it to make jumping through all the hoops the council hold up a viable option, and trying to go with an unofficial one just attracts more aggrivation from the same quarters than its worth. Yet one more "business" killed off by OTT red tape and jobsworths.

In a place as small as Shetland I would think the user base would be too small to support the running costs.

Should that no be a crofter in an old van body, with an ill natured collie. That would be how I'd do it anyway. :lol:

In a place as small as Shetland I would think the user base would be too small to support the running costs.

Should that no be a crofter in an old van body, with an ill natured collie. That would be how I'd do it anyway. :lol:

surely du means an ill natured crofter in an old van body with a collie :lol: