Would a scrap yard be a good idea?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the original question, I have found that car parts tend to be destroyed by the environment if the vehicle sits for a period of time. I would suggest e-bay, Gumtree or Overtons (scrap yard, give them a phone and ask for bits) in Dyce Aberdeen.

Agreed. They can usually sit over a summer not too badly, but if they're in any way open to the weather, there's not a hell of a lot on modern cars that will survive a Shetland winter unscathed. You either need to strip off and store indoors all the "probably will sell" parts, or then go for a large turnover of wrecks. Which just increases overheads, and loses sales, making it all less viable than on the mainland.

Overtons used to get a name for being a bit expensive, but they've maybe restructured their prices in the more recent past.

^ This I may have done, but that didn't necessarily give you explicit permission to agree with me. :P

Since when have I done as You told me to? :evil: Besides, You can drop any ideas You might have about starting up a car scrapping business; You deffo ain't getting the keys to my motor ...

... which reminds me, I reckon it be ace to be able to get car parts up here from a scrapyard even if half of the bits do have to be stored inside.

Ha ha running costs, a pikey in a portacabin and a rotweiler.

Fine example of the underlying racism in Shetland.

It was obviously a joke comment - for Gods sake grow up!

So it's not racist if it's a joke? :roll:

Sometimes a joke is just a joke, regardless of how much you want to get on your high horse about it.

Having been born and brought up in Shetland, when i spent time at university in Aberdeen as the only Shetlander in my class my accent and place of origin was often a source of amusement for my fellow class mates but never once was I offended or did i feel uncomfortable with it as I knew that no malice was intended towards me from anyone who was making a joke at my expense regardless of how close a relationship I had with them.

Quite selective quotes and meanings of the word, some almost the truth.

I did say it was an example of the underlying racism in Shetland as defined by posts in another thread.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, its first use in print was in the Times in 1837, referring to strangers who had come to the Isle of Sheppey island to harvest. Later that century it meant a "turnpike traveller" or vagabond.

In December, at Lewes Magistrates' Court, Lee Coleman, 28, admitted using racially-aggravated threatening words and behaviour after a row with a nightclub manageress.

There is no word more offensive to a traveller, says Cliff Codona, a Roma Gypsy and chairman of the National Travellers Action Group.

Here are all the quotes in context.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7446274.stm

It has been proved in a Law Court that the term is racist.

As for second hand car parts for sale, as indicated there are a number of regulations to prevent fraud.