Shetland Motorsport Club

gavbey

hi there,

im setting up this thread to chat about the club. i have heard that there is a meeting in cunjo hall next week about starting it up again.

does anyone have information about times and dates as im sure there will be a fair few interested in this.

cheers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

There is already a thread on here about this, but ill let you know whats happening so far.

There is a meeting taking place on Friday 6th April in the Cunningsburgh Hall @ 8pm. This meeting will be held in the Ben End (The New Extension) and all are welcome to attend.

There has been a group of people involved to get it to this stage, and we needed to call a meeting to see if there is enough interest to get a new club up and running.

We hope to see as many there as possible, and hope that there is enough interest to develop our ideas.

Alot of time has already been put in by quite a few folk, with some of the groundwork already covered.

Spread the word, and lets get the show on the road :)

This might be a stupid question, but what sort of things is the club going to be doing?

Not a stupid question at all. The club is non existant at the moment, and we are looking to organise unst track days, and an Unst 10th Anniversary Thrash for 2013, and any other ideas will be listened to on Friday night.

As mentioned before, all are welcome to attend, and we are looking for people with ideas and to gauge the level of interest.

As with any event, it takes alot of planning etc and we want to see who is out there who are keen to help out, and help us get a new club on the go.

Hope the track day comes off, I took part in one in 2003 or 2004, lot of fun, gave JP's RS4 a good run. Managed to sober up just in time for the afternoon ferry back :D

Also used to take part in navigation rallies a number of years ago, they were pretty competitive as well.

The club is non existant at the moment, and we are looking to organise unst track days, and an Unst 10th Anniversary Thrash for 2013

Then perhaps if you have to use Unst again the club could take some responsibility for idiots treating the local roads in Unst like a racetrack. It has been really good knowing we do not have to put up with that every year, along with the pile of wrecks left at the airfield.

Even better idea - have it in Cunnigsburgh instead.

The club is non existant at the moment, and we are looking to organise unst track days, and an Unst 10th Anniversary Thrash for 2013

Then perhaps if you have to use Unst again the club could take some responsibility for idiots treating the local roads in Unst like a racetrack. It has been really good knowing we do not have to put up with that every year, along with the pile of wrecks left at the airfield.

I think the local roads in Unst come under the Police's rules, and cannot be controlled by a club. If some 'idiots' as you refer to are driving on main roads like they are race tracks, they deserve to have the book thrown at them.

No-one can condone this activity, hence trying to organise an event within a specific, controlled zone.

We have spoken to the Unst Community Council who are keen on the idea, and im sure if there was the same facility lying around in Cunningsburgh we would have it here. It brings money into the local Unst community that otherwise wouldnt be there from this group.

I am guessing these comments will not help chocolate sales !

I am guessing these comments will not help chocolate sales !

Typical irrelevant comment. This is about safety on an island with, like many, one police officer and lots of backroads. It is about safety, and I am pleased to see that Peterj agrees with that.

With the work of a club, who will I am sure involve the police from the start ensuring there is extra cover on the island, the event will be a safe one . Calling the participants idiots though, will not help your cause. I have in the past always dropped in for chocolates on my visits to Unst (thrash included) . Cannot see it now though. Events like this should be embraced by the community, if Cunningsburgh had an old airfield I am sure they would welcome everyone the same as they do show day when the village is bedlam !

I wish Peter & the club all the best and may make it to the meeting on Friday if I can ... Shetland needs the motorsport club to get enthusiasts together ..

We put in a lot of hard work to set it up the SMC back in 2003 through til 2006 then we handed it over the new committee to take over.

Was such a shame to see that after a few years it didn't work out, a lot of time, effort and dedication goes into organising such a event!

Would be great to see the event happening again, and to have the 10 year shields that companies donated for the various timed races and events to be handed out again for 2013!

Good Luck to whoever is trying to get the Club established again :)