Foords Chocolates, Unst

tom thumb

where you will find the highest quality products at sensible prices, unlike some others in the isles.

I do like Foords chocolates, but I have to say your response in this thread and the motorsport club thread are making me reconsider buying them.

Maybe (here's a thought) instead of being negative about the other things going on in the isles, you could try getting involved to ensure that what you see as problems are considered in advance?

I would have thought an Unst-based business would have seen the track days as an opportunity rather than something to complain about. And why name Yell (and then change it to Cunningsburgh) as an alternative, if you see it as such a bad thing?

Guest posiedon
thats a bit risky implying other choccy producers are rubbish. just remeber the great teddy war.
Not often I agree with paulb but on this occasion.

:lik:

I would have thought an Unst-based business would have seen the track days as an opportunity rather than something to complain about.

I do get involved with island events, normally with raffle prizes as we seem to be top of the list when these events are being organised!

If you had read my post in the other thread, my concern was not the event, but certain people who attend it who do nothing to promote the integrity of the Shetland Motor Club and who drive dangerously around the island.My only concern is safety and I suspect the majority of people would agree with that.

Addition - there are in fact a few producers of chocolates and various other confectionary across the islands. There is a market and place for us all I am pleased to say.

Indeed I did read your other thread. Strange to assume I didn't as I referenced it. And a donation of a box of chocolates is hardly 'getting involved'.

Getting involved would be to go to meetings or having discussions by telephone or email to look at ways of addressing the issues. Obviously the community council see it as a positive thing!

• 6 months later...

When pricing chocolates, like any other goods, it is essential to compare like for like. There are the ones where the ganache filling is completely handmade to the owners recipe, and then there are the ones that are simply bought from a well-known supplier and spooned/piped in straight from the plastic tub.

It stands to reason that especially in this day and age where consumers have become far more discerning and money is harder to earn, that customers are prepared to pay more for quality!

In this small community I believe it does more harm than good to slate competitors, it makes you look desperate for business. We are all here to work together for the good of Shetland, you can have faith in and promote your own product without it being at the expense of another.

Absolutely. I had some chocolates recently and they tasted so handmade.

I think that we all owe a debt of thanks to Conochies for bringing Thorntons up here. There seemed to be boxes of Thorntons tucked under most people's arms when they stepped of the plane from the south, for friends and colleagues to share. The range of sugar-free stuff could be better for those of us who like sweets but have already eroded them through eating too many sweets. Conochies is also a great place to go for ice cream in the summer. Only about 8 months and we can start thinking about it.

No affiliation to Conochies.