The energy debate - Nuclear vs renewable

admin

If you read between the lines, well actually, if you read the lines of this article, it looks like Blair has already decided we're going to build a new generation of nuclear generators

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=484112006

As far as I've been aware, he has, for some time, been refering to the term "new technologies" in the fight against global warming

However, now he has begun refering to nuclear generation as a "new technology", although the fundamental principals remain almost unchanged for 50 years (I suppose coal is a new technology if you consider the evolution of man)

Online petition anyone?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An article on the Shetland News website (link below). Lerwick Port Authority have sponsored the renewable-hydrogen driven car in an international eco-marathon. Good on them.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/pages/news%20stories/03_2006/harbour_backs_hydro_car_record_attempt.htm

Bryan, I've never heard of an online petition before but it sounds like a good idea. You could email all your friends to get them to sign it, and they could email their friends, and so forth.... it could end up really big. You could also include links in the email to relevant articles, and so on, and try to encourage people to do everything they could (eg email their MP - a pre-written letter could be included) to get Blair to realise the benefits of renewables?

• 1 month later...

While this may be good news for Shetlands future wind farm prospects I don't think this kind of developement is good for the environment and green energy as a whole. Sustainable energy should be local energy and not reliant on vast interconnected structures like hundreds of miles of pylons and subsea cables. The energy should be produced as close to the point of consumption as possible. Sometimes this can be on the roof of the building.

Shetland should be looking to be selfsufficent in energy and not to turn Shetland into a energy factory.

Shetland should be looking to be selfsufficent in energy and not to turn Shetland into a energy factory.

I don't think this is right at all.

Whether we like it or not we live in a pretty horribly capitalistic world. We either try and change that or we try and do the best we can within that.

I don't see it changing anytime soon so making the best of it is probably the best option.

So when an opportunity arises that gives Shetland a chance to make lots of cash - and allows future generations to continue living in the style to which they have become accustomed - it's probably a good idea to go for it.

Shetland has few features that give it an economic advantage over other areas, but wind energy seems to be a goer. I think it's a great plan, and I'd like to see Shetlanders get shares in the development to ensure that the wealth generated reaches the pockets of the people of Shetland.

A solution to the Unst problem:-

Depopulate the island. Cover the surface with aero generators. Fill the seas with tidal and wave generators and make it a real power centre.

Then it could truly be said. 'This is not just for Lerwick but for the whole of Shetland'.

I think the best answer is a combination of both. Micro-renewables are the best individual way forward, but an interconnector opens up a huge array of longer term possibilities. For instance a large scale offshore development around here would be a major asset nationally, plus if the interconnector 'works both ways' we can rationalise our generating station requirements further, which from a green viewpoint is highly beneficial in terms of efficiency perhaps.

No-one likes pylons, but they may be a necessary evil in the medium term.

And from a selfish Shetland point of view, we would have relatively few of them compared to the highlands, i reckon.

not to mention the opening up of bigger interent connections the cable connetion would give us :D

that if the peopel involved actually she teh benifits in doing both at the same time.. instead of two seperate projects.

turrifield wrote

Self sufficiency sounds great but that interconnector might be very handy on a freezing cold night with no wind and flat calm seas.