Library a "pig in a poke"

Styles

Yet again another balls up by the Council. This time the new Lerwick library after costing £1,000,000 not being fit for purpose in being smaller than the last one and being inadiquate for use. Now 4yrs later they are spending £30,000 on lookingt for a new place to relocate it. One councillor said they had been sold "a pig in a poke".

I think this time it was not the Councillors fault (for once!) but the information they were given was more or less if you are being truthful a bare faced lie, for example it was said that the old building was falling to bit, which is now shown as a pack of lies. they made the best of the info given. It must have been clear to any offical with half a brain the new site was to small and as I said they for some reason just lied about a lot of stuff.

The officals involved have surley left the Council so their is nothing they can do. But I think even if they were still with the Council nothing would have happened to them, except mabey a stern word. It would have been another mistake they "would learn lessons from". So many people in the Council would have been fired long ago if it was a private company. Costly mistakes seem to happen the whole time and no one takes responsibility.

I think this has already served as a wake up call to the council not to take everything the officials say as gospel.

As for the £30,000 for a feasability study there are three sensible options. Add the new library to the music venue, build a new library opposite Islesburgh or boot the adult learning people into St.Ringans and have the library occupy the old library + the old museum space. So when can I have my £30K?.

There is one more sensible option........a staff and users survey. All the staff and a random sample of the users. Perhaps a random sample of people who do not use the library would be good as well......should be easy enough to compare something like the electoral roll with the membership list. Even if the computer programs are not compatible it would be a nice task to give to the alleged remaining SIC staff person who worked on the original project.

Which reminds me.....credit where it is due. The design of the interior did make good use of the space available and on the whole the building works were well done.

The old library worked really well. It just wasn't big enough. Now the museum is no longer up stairs surely the obvious solution is to move the library back to the old building.

(This is the first time I've posted on a form. Wonder if I've done it right?)

why dont we ditch the music venue/cinema and build a new library there, next to the museum would be a good move.

because we already have a library, and since its had its turn to 'upgrade' to a better facility, its time for the music and cinema venue to reign supreme.