Windmills / SIC Cut Backs

croftygair

^^ the actual build costs

Yes, exactly Ched and where are they going to find someone to tender for it. possibly up to eighty 30-tonne dumptrucks required for starters, plant that will be lying idle for a considerable part of each year it takes to build....

Not sure I understand that. No project manager likes to see kit not working, I would think that there will be phases, they are not going to build them all at once. When I used to hire plant, for long contracts there would be deals in place, even as far as a 2 day week rental, that is, we only charged for 2 days rental a week. There will also be a deal with the running of the plant, self maintenance or contracted (to a local contractor), we have trained local contractors to service our kit if it were going where we could not get to it in the contracted time period.

Where did the 80 trucks get announced?

And Gas, will the Total project bring back the gas throughput back to 1986 numbers? From 1986 to 2009 throughput fell by 1.4 million tonnes to 35,437 tonnes.

Up to 2009 from 1978 oil throughput has increased 10 fold to over 70 million barrels. But no additional payments as we have been told.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again what has a wonky small turbine got to do with VE proposed turbines. there were disign faults with those put up by shetland power. pj please try and use real scare stories. the wind farm that is supplying 20% of our power has had faults develop over the years but its still running and producing money. and none of them are on the ground. maybe you would like to tell us of the large scale turbine what % have failed.

The point is, there is always a discrepancy between estimated and actual, the latter 'usually' being higher (sometimes much higher), but that all depends on the recognition of risks like weather and breeding season when the estimate was put together.

... And what does that do to profitability? Now is £930 million income optimistic... who knows.

stilldellin wrote:

Yes, exactly Ched and where are they going to find someone to tender for it. possibly up to eighty 30-tonne dumptrucks required for starters, plant that will be lying idle for a considerable part of each year it takes to build....

From shetlandpeat :-

Not sure I understand that. No project manager likes to see kit not working, I would think that there will be phases, they are not going to build them all at once. When I used to hire plant, for long contracts there would be deals in place, even as far as a 2 day week rental, that is, we only charged for 2 days rental a week. There will also be a deal with the running of the plant, self maintenance or contracted (to a local contractor), we have trained local contractors to service our kit if it were going where we could not get to it in the contracted time period.

Where did the 80 trucks get announced?

There were 85 dumptrucks used in the original Whitelee project, many of them taken in from England, where do you think you will find this quantity in Shetland ? You canna keep shipping them in and out every few days. This is Shetland. Double the cost of everything and start again !!!!!!

is that not down to a wire problem not the turbines. you will get falts in any machines. they will be insured. the odd collaped turbine does not mean they all will fail.

I can't find where I got it from now, possibly was in an SIBC bulletin, but if memory serves the reason the Foula windmills are on extended sabbatical is due to a blade being bent during the wind around Christmas, and I think they said they were stationary at the time. They'd only been in place since autumn and all. The cable fault was slightly earlier, and entirely unconnected.

If I'm wrong in this, I'm sure a Foula person will soon set the record straight.

The Foula turbines are 3 x Westwind 10 kW as far as I know, same make as the 20 kW Aith Lifeboat one that seems to take long sabbaticals too.

Guest posiedon
Ghostrider

same make as the 20 kW Aith Lifeboat one that seems to take long sabbaticals too.

The Aith pier windymill has not been working for around 8 months, it's now laying prostrate so I would assume it's being fixed. (at last)

And Gas, will the Total project bring back the gas throughput back to 1986 numbers? From 1986 to 2009 throughput fell by 1.4 million tonnes to 35,437 tonnes.

Up to 2009 from 1978 oil throughput has increased 10 fold to over 70 million barrels. But no additional payments as we have been told.

Gas production at SVT effectively ended a couple of years ago.

But is was mainly Propane and Butane, 'waste' from the huge Methane production offshore that was piped direct to Scottish Mainland. The Propane and Butane was piped to SVT to be separated out, chilled down to liquify it and then ship away in refrigerated gas carriers.

Total, is bringing raw gas to the new gas plant. Liquids (oil) taken out and passed through the fence to SVT, and the cleaned up gas is then sent to Scottish Mainland for further processing and into UK Gas grid.

The two gas projects are quite different animals.

Projected income from VE: £900,000,000/25 years = 36 million/year*

That would be impressive. I'm unclear about what this £900 million or £930 million as stated in this article actually means.

You refer to it as "Projected income from VE". This infers profit and a huge potential income to the charitable trust.

VE refer to it as "expected total income of £930 million to Shetland". This infers revenue.

I suspect the latter and a struggle to eke out any sort of decent profit (after repayment of £685 million build costs and covering operations etc).

[edit]Sorry this is purely uninformed guesswork[/edit], I would be glad of the facts if anyone knows the actual meaning of the projected figures.

[That said, I object to Viking Energy and believe the environmental and social cost is too higher price to pay for such a large project to go ahead.]

The £930 million is the money generated after the cost of building have been paid (interest on loans, maintenance costs etc).

The £930 million is the money generated after the cost of building have been paid (interest on loans, maintenance costs etc).

Wow AT, you are privy then to information that the rest of us are not! So are you saying then that ahead of the tender stage that you know the total build cost and also the APR of the loans? I'm impressed! :wink:

you love your apr dont you unlink. and as anyone will tell you untill the loans are sorted they won't know what it will be. no state secret but not info for you to know as its sensitive info. its stated that the trust will recieve 20 million per year income this is after costs. based on 23 years thats 460 million. so you dont think thats a decent return then you had better suggest a better investment that the trust can make.