Windmills / SIC Cut Backs

croftygair

Ghostrider

same make as the 20 kW Aith Lifeboat one that seems to take long sabbaticals too.

The Aith pier windymill has not been working for around 8 months, it's now laying prostrate so I would assume it's being fixed. (at last)

Is that not the one made by the company that went bust and it was discovered that there was a problem with a casting?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ The Trust already gets circa £10m per annum. However, that is based on its existing portfolio which it intends to reduce (in other words, sell off existing shares/stocks/assets). I'll say it again; greed.

You mentioned on this thread or elsewhere about the private company, the Burradale lot investing. As individuals, they are not. They are a limited company so if they went bankrupt, the Directors' personal belongings would be untouched.

Developers rely on the Government subsidies. They'll let so many get onboard and then it is the same as when us mere pleps apply for double-glazing grants, heat pumps, etc. - the more who apply, the less money in the pot until you reach a stage that the Government realises that they cannot continue.

I'll say it again - if wind farms are so profitable, why can the Trust not just invest in existing profitable wind farms?

The cost of photovoltaic panels has gone down in price. The industry welcomed the reduction in FiTs to reflect this. There was quite an upsurge in installations, even more so now with the new schemes put in place where the energy companies collect the tariffs them selves or via agents to off-set the costs.

A better investment return would be shale gas massive reserves all over the place and once the governments decide to ignore the hippies then production will boom(no pun intended0

you mean the earthquake producing extraction process. what about all the pollution its causing in canada. yes its a source of fuel a very large source but it is still a fossil fuel.

its a very good option but its only a short term option whats wrong with hydogen production. its a good option for spare power. and its clean.

Ah, more bigotry. (Bigotry is the state of mind of a "bigot," a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one who exhibits intolerance or animosity toward members of a group) Which could mean that anyone who hates Bigots could be a bigot themselves.

Shale gas may be fine in principle, but there have been problems to do with earthquakes and water table pollution. As a fossil fuel, will also increase CO2 output. Not really any good, even more in Shetland.

They have been fracing for shale gas for years without any increase in earthquakes that is just another anti oil industry scare story put about by the likes of AT and other blinkered hippies. Yes fracing will be picked up on seismographs but so will a truck driving past and a large person falling on their ass or jumping of a chair.

water table polution comes from shallow reserves and the polution was there before the fracing started.

99% of Shale gas is contained in rock that is thousands of feet below ground level and the water table is mere hundreds of feet below ground level, water from any deeper will quite often be pressure saturated with minerals that would render it toxic to human animal and plants so not really something you would want to be drinking.

Did you know that there is thousands times more oil released naturally than is spilled by the oil companies, in fact the oil companies tapping these shallow reserves are actually leading to a reduction in pollution by lowering resevoir pressure and there for reducing natural seepage.

And being a hippie is a state of mind a philosophy if you will and quite often leads to blinkered attitude probably but not exclusively brought about by the consumption of more dope than their minds can cope with.

So i will state once again just for you peat I will always disagree with some one who is just plain stupid, thats not bigotry peat it is common sense.

what about all the pollution its causing in canada.

I think you are mixing it up with the Alberta tar sands.

But since you brought them up lets look at what is happening there.

Shallow reserves of oil bearing sands that are allready causing pollution by removing these sands and processing them the oil companies are actually cleaning the region up, if it was a spill that put the oil there they would be legally obliged to clean it up and the hippies would be screaming blue murder.

Yet more missinformation bandied about by the blinkered hippies in society

So, then, all hippies are overdosing on dope? It would be an all incumbent group these people you say are drug addicts. I am astounded that you can dismiss someone who may have studied certain subjects and have facts and figures to be debated are just addicts, a bit bigoted that.

Folk who do not agree with you are "stuped"?

There have been problems with fracking and estuaries. As well as the millions of litres of water and chemicals pumped into the well to force the removal of the gas.

Great correction there. The problem though, is the interpretation of those figures. Anyone who is involved with figures and stats will know. Something I deal with every day, as we all do.

Even though the two gas projects are different animals (not monkeys I hope), there must have been some financial gain to the Islands. My question was about the levels of gas, will the Total gas measure up to what was being produced. If it were to measure up, would you not make money from the increased tanker fees. At the peak, it was 112 additional tankers to the four in 2009. To take away both butane and propane.