Windmills / SIC Cut Backs

croftygair

Please remind me of the answer to what industry are you talking about that will give Shetland the same benefits as the oil did?

If you want to have nothing to do with alternative power, you need another income.

The document I have does not tell me that, you seem to know, so, divulge. How much is sent south?

Your arguments will not stop the wind turbines, you need to do better than that or you are failing in what you think Shetland wants. I am for the best solution, your talking about dreams, wants and aspirations. Nothing real.

The figures reflect the possible income that could be made available, which could remove the need to have the turbines, how would you see the fish landings maximised, how many factories would need to be built to do this, how much will independence cost to facilitate unmeasured fishing?

I try to answer you and you just come back with a sorry looking post. What is the solution, how many more fish will make the difference?

How much will you need to spend to achieve this utopia?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There does not seem to be any figures, thanks again for the insults, you excel your self. How much will this bring in on current payments?

You have not given any explanations on figures.

You seem to base everything on some sort of unfounded theory of which you have no idea on costs or standing arrangements.

So, how much do you think it will cost to get to your dream?

this fracing gas how will that impact on the deeper more expensive north sea gas will it still be worth exploiting. i don't know so this is a real question. if they were to stop investing in it what impact will this have on shetland. apart from the uk which other areas has a high level of shale gas reserves nearby. its claimed that it can supply all our energy needs for 50 years..

Also, no benefit to Shetland. Dratsys' claim about exploiting the fish stocks could work. A huge sum of money will need to be spent to get there if there are going to be no links with the rest of the UK. Also, all roe in one basket. Too risky if there were a problem.Also, it will only be those with money who will initially benefit until a way of getting their profits into a community fund via a levy, or tax. He also favour forcing fol to work and or leave the islands if they make a mistake. This Shetland will not be the place for single parents or those deemed unwell. The long term plan is needed. He goes on about the culture in China, they have a long term plan of many many decades. Shetland according to Dratsy may need to go all through this again in 20 years or so.

There does not seem to be any figures, thanks again for the insults, you excel your self. How much will this bring in on current payments?

You have not given any explanations on figures.

You seem to base everything on some sort of unfounded theory of which you have no idea on costs or standing arrangements.

So, how much do you think it will cost to get to your dream?

we are having a discussion on Shetlink but you want me to provide you with a 200 page manifesto. get real

the figures are there for you to find peat and have been provided on this and other threads

we have in our waters 35% of the UK oil and gas that alone will provide £billions.

As to the fish stocks in our waters cut out the EU fleet and that will provide somewhere in the region of a £billion per year with all that fish landed and processed here we would be able to put enough away for a rainy day on the scale of Noahs flood, with a ban on trawling within 12nm and an outright ban on factory trawlers the inshore high value line fishing would be worth a £100million or so. A few of the fisheries protection vessels kitted out with guns instead of water cannon would ensure the laws were obeyed just like the Faroes manage their seas.

I dont go on about the culture in China I am here working the only mention I made as to their culture was that I would learn more about it while here than you will ever learn by googling it.

I wont force anybody to work I just won't give handouts to folk that are fit and able to work, they then have the choice to work or piss off, they would not want to resort to stealing in my world to get by, the punishment would be harsh but fair.

If you are not from here and you break our laws you will be returned from whence you came after making reparation for your crime, there is a difference between making a mistake and being a criminal.

If you are sick and can't work we will look after you, but you better not try taking the piss as punishment will be harsh but fair yet again.

your post as always is misleading and misrepresenting peat.

I can only assume you are too stupid to understand what is written because you are far too nice a guy to deliberately do this :wink:

this fracing gas how will that impact on the deeper more expensive north sea gas will it still be worth exploiting. i don't know so this is a real question. if they were to stop investing in it what impact will this have on shetland. apart from the uk which other areas has a high level of shale gas reserves nearby. its claimed that it can supply all our energy needs for 50 years..

Current oil and gas prices are way above the level needed to make the platforms around Shetland profitable the oil companies are raking it in just now. and all because some dafties keep going on about peak oil and how it is running out, look at the $20 billion that BP has paid out in the gulf and the fact that it has had little real effect on their operations. If they paid out less to shareholders ie every ones pension funds then they wouldn't even have noticed the blip in their accounting.

Shale gas is indeed plentiful I have been involved in testing reserves from Europe to Australia at the moment service companies are setting up bases throughout mainland Europe to deal with the amount of work that is happening in countries that a few years ago thought they had no reserves, I would advise any youngster who is interested in engineering to look to the oil industry for there will be high paid work a plenty for my lifetime and beyond.

dratsy how far off is the commercial use of shale gas. this will cut the cost of gas but will the north sea still then be worth doing. i see that the production in canada is cutting the usa gas prices this must happen here. what will be the point that the deep wells become unprofitable.

Commercial development of shale gas could start tomorrow if not for a bunch of ill-informed hippies protesting at everything that is not about flowers and peace.

Don't worry deself paul the point at which the north sea becomes unprofitable is a long way below the current oil price no matter how much the oil companies would have you believe different. All their posturing about pulling out every time there is a tax hike is just that posturing. The oil price is at about 3 times where it needs to be to keep even the most expensive field in production.

Technology is advancing rapidly and making fields that were thought to be non-viable, viable. As long as there is oil there someone will try to get it out.

The reduction in price of gas brought about by the development of the shale gas reserves may slow things down slightly but that will only make our reserves last longer. remember we have oil as well as gas and oil get used for different things than gas.

I wonder if SSE will invest in a very high capacity cable (1200MW or more) to help link to Iceland in the not too distant future...?

(And if the North Europe Supergrid doesn't happen, there'll be lots of opportunities to fill Shetland with windmills....)

Wasn't a certain company already in talks with Norway a year or so back? Is it the case that Norway wants to develop more hydro power?

Who are this lot?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/03/20/uk-norway-northconnect-idUKL6E8EK38T20120320

Surprise or no surprise, it includes SSE. OFGEM are inviting public opinion by 2 September (doesn't say which year)

http://www.northconnect.no/2011/8/19/public-consultation--uk---interconnectors

Is this the supergrid/super hob/whatever?

Is this separate to the interconnector being proposed?

Either way, could it not be the case that if they use the Shetland Islands' converter station as a 'stop-off point', proceed to buy in supply from Norway and if the hydro power is cheaper from Norway that a certain company buy that power before using power generated by VE windmills?

Does the agreement between VE and the subsidiary proposing the interconnector state that power supplied by VE will have rights over others using the interconnector?

Remind me, who is building the converter station here?

Companies want to make money and if Government subsidies and Local Authorities can be persuaded that there's money in it for local communities, etc., the £ signs start flashing without looking at the wider picture. There could, and might be a situation whereby in 25 years time (or sooner), it is more cost-effective to leave the VE windfarm dormant.

^ We should neve rhave let them in for the 1p/tonne pittance the council were conned in to signing off on in the 70's, let alone be gullible enough to fall for oilies pleading poverty. If proof is needed that the SIC are out of their depth negotiating with big business, you need look no further than those two examples.

The only one I recall saying Shetland had gotten a "good deal" out of the oilies in the 70'swas Ian R. Clark.....and he couldn't wait to go join them as soon as the ink dried. Can you say biased....

The only one I recall saying Shetland had gotten a "good deal" out of the oilies in the 70'swas Ian R. Clark.....and he couldn't wait to go join them as soon as the ink dried. Can you say biased....

Well it was likely a better deal than they got in places like the Niger Delta, and for a while the oil industry became the new merchant navy for young shetland men.