Folk asking for free stuff...

Does anyone else find it a bit off when people submit a wanted ad but ask for the gear for free?

There was one person last week basically wanted their house furnished for nothing!

I can even mind one where they wanted the item delivered to them.

It p*sses me off, was wondering if anyone else is of a similar mind.

P.S. watch out for new dodgy pet adverts, they're back!

Canna stand scrounging. Like folk taking advantage of the social for example.

Or folk that habitually hitch hike into town:

picked up a guy one morning near Voe, thought he had probably missed the bus. He proceeded to tell me that he did miss the bus... a few months before! He said he had found it so easy to hitch a lift that he did it every morning and evening to save him the bus fare. "it's two pints init"! He was a young man with a decent job as well.

Never picked anyone up since.

There is also a long haired character of dubious character who hitches in and out of Mossbank daily. If you don't stop for him he spits at your car and kicks stones at it.

Anyway, canna stand scrounging.

dont see the harm in hitch hiking. if you have the space why not. ive given stuff away. again if its spare or taking up space give it away it what we all should be doing helping each other.

i personally would feel wrong not to offer lifts to folks. you never know when you will brakedown.

We used to hitchhike quite a bit when I was younger, yup, we did it to save our money. Nothing wrong with that. It was also quicker. Many drivers were happy to give lifts.

It is good for the environment as well in a way, car sharing is one of the ways we can reduce wasting fuel, especially with the complaints of charges made by some distributors.

Trouble though is if you do not use the subsidised bus, it could be curtailed through lack of use.

If you don't ask you don't receive! You never know what folk might have sitting wasting in a shed unless you put it out there!

And i have often remarked that something you hardly see here is hitch hiking! I spent a huge part of my late teens hitch hiking the length and breadth of Ireland....got to visit a lot of family, friends, events and festival...meet a lot of fine folk and heard a few tales along the way...also met the odd A**eH**e too, but good definitely outweighed the bad!

In saying that wouldn't feel safe to do it now in Ireland...would want my teen doing it either... different time....

Shy bairns get nowt!

I've often given stuff away rather than mess about selling it. If some one can make use of it that's good. Lots of people have stuff hanging around and feel the same.

I've also often give hitchers a lift and hitched myself. And when I lived north I often gave the lad from Mossbank and Voe lifts in along with others, and back out of town north.

Some lasses hitching the other year were in desperate need of a lift in pouring rain and bad clothes they were heading for 'the village' of Eshaness to the shop. Foreign students. They'd have died of hypothermia if we didn't drop them to the cafe at Breiwick were they later met their other friends.

You need to be sensible about both getting and giving lifts but in a place where buses are not so frequent or don't go to where you want and private transport costs a fortune it's the obvious thing to do.

Also a chance for an often interesting chat on a long drive...

There is genuine need and then there is genuine greed, I put some items on here for free the only stipulation was that a donation was made to charity.

One person out of five put a pound in the charity box another muttered something about donating when they got home.

I can't stand scroungers either whether it is the waster at the dole or the business wo/man at the CT wanting a subsidy to keep their business "viable".

the freecycle group does well down in the mainland,shetland has a freecycle group when it started i got and gave away a couple of things.

shetlink has by virtue of it's popularity taken over from freecycle

no-one is forcing anybody to give their stuff away for free but the option is there

I give stuff away free as well, it's one thing offering it for nowt and other thing entirely asking for it!

I am sure I give well above the average to charity as well, I'm not talking about people with genuine need, it's the free loaders I canna stand.

No one can say that there are not folk out there that abuse the social system, they are a drain on society and the rest of us end up paying for it one way or the other.

Asking for a donation to charity is a good idea though.

I think most folk give their old stuff to the charity shops or Cope.

I will usually stop to offer a lift unless I have my son in the car then I would check the dude out.

The guy in question I have given lifts to a few times but driven past a few times. Never seen him be arsy though so was maybe pished.

Remember that guy from Ghana that used to hitch every day. I gave him loads of lifts always had some great stories.

Those who've had hardship are more likely to help out, even when they have very little themselves.

Those who've helped when hitching thank you very much, I've met some really amazing people. I've been lucky enough to get to my gran before the emergency doctor. travelled routes the buses don't do. Picked up tickets forgotten when catching the bus for the boat, the list goes on and on.

The kindness of strangers really gets me too. I've been helping some teenage mums recently. The help offered by folk who've never met them has really warmed my heart, especially when the only help their own families have given has been 4 dinner sets when they didn't even have a bed.

But then I understand the OP's point of view, I couldn't believe some of the folk I met south, folk who've always had handouts from the state, charities, etc. Have the fully furnished, nicely decorated council house, the car, the full sky package, the latest games consules, laptops, phones & gadgets. And they still complain, expect stuff for free, but never seem to help out those really in need.

I have had some amazing freebees from Shetlink, the best I can think of was an almost complete collection of Buffy videos during the big snow a couple of years back. 1 happy daughter. She has now finally watched them all.

But then I understand the OP's point of view, I couldn't believe some of the folk I met south, folk who've always had handouts from the state, charities, etc. Have the fully furnished, nicely decorated council house, the car, the full sky package, the latest games consules, laptops, phones & gadgets. And they still complain, expect stuff for free, but never seem to help out those really in need.

Theres plenty of them up here too MJ homegrown and incomers and getting more abundant daily

I would be embarrassed to hitch-hike unless my car had broken down. Why should someone else spend their hard earned wage on a sponger who obviously spends their days thinking about no-one but themselves?.

I don't mind helping people at all but in relation to the OP I have noticed those adverts and personally think it's a cheek.

They don't offer anything, even a donation to charity which in my book says it all really.

Do they even work?. Well I know what I think.....