Folk asking for free stuff...

They don't offer anything, even a donation to charity which in my book says it all really.

Do they even work?. Well I know what I think.....

Are they not asked to donate a little to Shetlink?

You would have to ask one of the mods responsible for that part of Shetlink to see of they do contribute.

I would be embarrassed to hitch-hike unless my car had broken down.

So you can afford the £40+ for a taxi to get to work on time if someone you look after requires attention meaning you miss the bus. Or you'd pass up on a job interview because it didn't fit in with the bus timetables. How about passing up on extra work because they phone 5mins after the bus has left because someone has decided the weather's too nice to bother to turn up to work.

You know the one that used to bother me. Folk who used to complain about Florence Grains and her taxis. Those folk with empty cars driving past hers at the same meetings/events. Did any of them offer her a lift?

For what ever reason not everyone can drive, cycling to Lerwick is not an option that's really feasible, not without allowing 3-4hrs depending on the weather.

I've hitched and I'll pick up hitch hikers too.

I don't like the ads asking for free Microsoft software; I can understand wanting to borrow if their Vista or XP disc has got broken and they need a copy until they await for the arrival of a replacement disc but for those asking for full (professional or home) Office, they can either fork out like the rest of us or use OpenOffice.

I'm still waiting though for that Lamborghini Diablo I've placed in the Wanted Ads. :wink:

Once I see 'free or not too much' under the Wanted ad payment, they've got no chance of having my surplus things even though I'd probably have let them go cheaply (or even free) to begin with.

Willing To Pay The Going Rate or Up To You is more likely to get a result.

I'll happily pick up hitchers though; I've spent too many long hours on the side of the road when I was younger.

I would be embarrassed to hitch-hike unless my car had broken down. Why should someone else spend their hard earned wage on a sponger who obviously spends their days thinking about no-one but themselves?.
Or someone who has missed the bus for a perfectly valid reason. Or even has found the bus was already full when it reached them.......have seen full buses a couple of times already this year and there will be more when the tourist season gets going. Or maybe someone who needs to get into town to get some money from a cashpoint. Bus drivers like to be paid and people can run out of cash. Pre-arranged lift failed to turn up. Just a few reasons why someone might need to hitch.

No-one 'forces' anyone to give them free stuff on Shetlink - or give them lifts if they're thumbing it.

There's always gonny be the odd rat-faced, swivel eyed greedy git after gaining from others graft, but most fowk are pretty genuine IMO.

I'll happily pick up hitchers, meet allsorts. The bloke in a boiler suit wearing a clown mask and carrying a chainsaw was really interesting to talk to.

BTW, could someone go and buy me some reestit from Mainlands and bring it up here, please? :wink:

I would like to put the other point of view

I replied to an add giving away a free item because I had been looking for weeks to buy the same but found it almost immpossible to get one.

Lovely people whom I contacted would not accept any payment when I offered so a donation to charity will be given as I really am gratefull to the person who gave this away it will make my sons life a lot happier..

We are not all scroungers I was so lucky that the item we so badly needed came up for free....

If someone is offering something for free then there is no issue in accepting it, offering a donation to charity is a worthy thing to do. There is no scrounging in that.

We got some lovely new chickens a few weeks ago, huge light sussex's. The folk were so nice and would not accept anything, even for their kids piggy banks! You would have paid ten pound each for those chickens.

We also made a donation to a charity that evening as a way of "paying it forward".

But you must ken the type of person I'm talking about in the OP.

Guest CyprusPluto

Anyone would accept something for nothing. If you thought it worthwhile, how many of us would ask Tesco to give us their milk rather than paying them for it.

These people just have the b_11s to ask - if you don't ask, you don't get! If you don't want to give, you don't have to. But many people would be happy to offload a old 3-piece suite to someone rather than having to go to the trouble of getting rid of it.

If you there was an offer of a free three piece suite and you accepted it then fair doo's.

You say they have the balls, I say they have the cheek/gall (is that how you spell it?)/lack of self respect.

Even if you do go and pick up something that was offered for free it is just courtesy to ask if there is anything wanted for it or if they would like a donation for charity.