Shetland Parkour Experience

ShetlandYouth

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments. The event will be fully risk accessed by the national coaches that will be attending from Glasgow Parkour Coaching. The group will also be informing the Community Safety Partnership, Neighbourhood Support Workers and local police force about the event and all the scheduled classes (both indoors and outdoors) so that they are aware of the participants.

Finally, the coaches have all worked towards their ADAPT coaching certificate. This is the nationally recognised training certificate for parkour in the UK.

Hope that may explain the background.

Thanks

our son would love to do this. He used to do Parkour prior to us moving here. I would get up early etc but how do I get from Fetlar for a 7am start?????

I appreciate that not all individuals will be able to make all classes/workshops but that is why we have chosen to provide a flat fee and the individual can choose depending on their individual needs/experience.

If your looking for reasonably priced accommodation I'd check out Islesburgh Hostel http://www.shetland.gov.uk/community/Islesburghfacilities.asp

our son would love to do this. He used to do Parkour prior to us moving here. I would get up early etc but how do I get from Fetlar for a 7am start?????

I appreciate that not all individuals will be able to make all classes/workshops but that is why we have chosen to provide a flat fee and the individual can choose depending on their individual needs/experience.

If your looking for reasonably priced accommodation I'd check out Islesburgh Hostel http://www.shetland.gov.uk/community/Islesburghfacilities.asp

But it states that all participants have to attend the class on Friday, doesn't it?

I'm in two minds about this whole thing. On the one hand, it is something for youngsters to do. On the other hand, there might be the situation where some continue to leap over railings/utilise other street furniture and may cause a nuisance some time after the event (But some may do that now regardless).

I don't believe the flat fee is fair. It would appear, on the surface, you have not factored in the costs if a family has more than one child, take, for example, a family with a 11 year old and a 16 year old:-

£15 for 16 year old

£10 for 11 year old

Plus petrol - say £10 if 25 miles away just for one return trip. Even if they got the bus home to save Mum or Dad to break away from their busy routine/get time off work to act as said taxi company, the costs are mounting up!

Then take into consideration those who don't live on Shetland but live on one of the other islands. Oh, reasonably priced accommodation.

Might I respectfully suggest the next time you consider holding such an event, you take into consideration youngsters living outside of Lerwick? Have you organised transport from youth clubs outside of Lerwick?

And just precisely how much did Shetland Islands Council Environmental Health provide in terms of dosh for this event?

But it states that all participants have to attend the class on Friday, doesn't it?

I'm in two minds about this whole thing. On the one hand, it is something for youngsters to do. On the other hand, there might be the situation where some continue to leap over railings/utilise other street furniture and may cause a nuisance some time after the event (But some may do that now regardless).

I don't believe the flat fee is fair. It would appear, on the surface, you have not factored in the costs if a family has more than one child, take, for example, a family with a 11 year old and a 16 year old:-

£15 for 16 year old

£10 for 11 year old

Plus petrol - say £10 if 25 miles away just for one return trip. Even if they got the bus home to save Mum or Dad to break away from their busy routine/get time off work to act as said taxi company, the costs are mounting up!

Then take into consideration those who don't live on Shetland but live on one of the other islands. Oh, reasonably priced accommodation.

Might I respectfully suggest the next time you consider holding such an event, you take into consideration youngsters living outside of Lerwick? Have you organised transport from youth clubs outside of Lerwick?

And just precisely how much did Shetland Islands Council Environmental Health provide in terms of dosh for this event?

Hello, thanks for your comments. It is the first time such an event has been organised in Shetland on this scale. We will take any feedback to the organisers and look at how we'd improve if this were to happen again in the future.

Ideally each individual would attend the introduction session as it does cover safety information but if this was a major problem then please email in and we can discuss with the coaches.

In terms of the after effect of the workshops participants have and continue to use the natural enviornment for Parkour. Although I have to say that the group have worked well with the Community Safety Partnership and the local police force in the past and if any issues have been raised by the public/community the group moves onto other areas if requested to do so.

^^ With all due respect, ShetlandYouth, you have failed to answer the questions I have asked. I appreciate that you will be feeding back comments to the organisers but answers to all the questions I have raised would be appreciated. Thanks.

my child will not be attending this event. it has already been banned from her school due to the dangers of it. How a parent can willing pay to have there child par take in something that could so easily end in there injury is beyond me.

Hello SnowFlake, we respect your decision. Here is some background information for others on one of the key coaches that will be in Shetland for the event.

Chris Grant has been practicing Parkour for over 5 years and has been integral in the growth of the community in Glasgow and Scotland particularly by founding glasgowparkour.co.uk in 2004 and Glasgow Parkour Coaching in 2007.

He runs Glasgow Parkour Coaching full time and has been responsible for setting up numerous school and community group classes, a permanent youth academy, outdoor adult classes and the first weekly girl's class in the UK.

He is the only Scottish Board member of ParkourUK - Parkour’s National Governing Body – and holds the ADAPT Qualification for Coaching Parkour/Freerunning.

Chris practices a very high standard of quality control and management of the Glasgow Parkour Coaching team to ensure only the most experienced coaches are responsible for passing on Parkour to new practitioners.

He is seen as an authority on Parkour coaching in Scotland and the wider UK Scene and currently teaches at around 12 – 15 classes per week as well as occasionally teaching in London at ParkourGenerations' classes and events.

He has learned and trained with most of the major and original practitioners of the art and is extremely passionate about bringing his knowledge to the wider community through grassroots teaching.

Finally, safety is key to taking part, and like any physical activity can lead to injury therefore Chris and his team will be working with participants to teach parkour and how to keep themselves safe.

My son will be attending, and he can't wait!

The local Parkour group are a very dedicated group of nice young folk who train (at least) 3 times a week.

When my son first joined them I was a bit apprehensive, but you can't wrap your children up in cotton wool, it does them no favours.

It's far better for them to be out having fun, and burning off some energy, than stuck "safe" indoors with their computer games.