Lazy people using Disabled and Parent/Child parking.

Should Tescos enforce the Disabled and Parent/Child parking spaces?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tescos enforce the Disabled and Parent/Child parking spaces?

• Yes
    • No

Most parents with children of an age which necessitates the use of the P&T spaces are in the Tesco baby/toddler club. When you join, you get a parking sticker a bit like a tax disc with an end date on it (up to youngest child's 5th birthday I think). Most people don't use them, but perhaps Tesco could enforce the display of these on the cars in these spaces? These parents surely have entered a contract with Tesco?

Disabled parkers will have the use of their blue badge, then the regular customers, like Soundview says, should have some sort of contract entered into through their clubcard. But what would the punnishment be?

I expect the only true and foolproof way of keeping the use of both disabled and P&T spaces for those who should be using them, is for the user to get a token from customer services to lift a barrier to exit a section of the car park.

It is a shame it would come to this though as ulitmately we wouldn't be having any of these problems if these lazy people thought more about others rather than themselves.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your not listerning. the blue badge does not apply to private car parks. to issue any sort of fine/charge against a disabled driver who does not have or displays a badge would breach the disability act. tescos are require to provide disabled access this includes parking.

any ticket issued would not be inforcable anyway they can only claim for there loss on a free car park its zero. you really dont want to have a parking company at tescos they are sharks.

"I expect the only true and foolproof way of keeping the use of both disabled and P&T spaces for those who should be using them, is for the user to get a token from customer services to lift a barrier to exit a section of the car park.

It is a shame it would come to this though as ulitmately we wouldn't be having any of these problems if these lazy people thought more about others rather than themselves."

You hit the nail on the head there. Sadly, I think you're right. Folk are simply too thoughtless/selfish/ignorant/lazy/arrogant/ALL OF THESE to stop it from happening.

Pity, especially in such a community-minded place as Shetland.

(BTW, Unlinked, 40 odd years ago, we didn't have a supermarket where I lived. There was a butcher/general stores, but we stayed out in the sticks, so we used the van that came round every other day. Everything else we were self-sufficient in. Sadly, for most, these days are gone. But we didn't have a car until I was 10, and my youngest sibling 8, so parking wasn't an issue. And if you acted up in those days, let's just say that nowadays they'd probably have you on an at risk register somewhere!! But only the once, mind. After that, it was the knowledge and fear that a red-hot muckle sphincter was waiting if you acted up that bad! :shock: ).

your not listerning. the blue badge does not apply to private car parks. to issue any sort of fine/charge against a disabled driver who does not have or displays a badge would breach the disability act. tescos are require to provide disabled access this includes parking.

any ticket issued would not be inforcable anyway they can only claim for there loss on a free car park its zero. you really dont want to have a parking company at tescos they are sharks.

What we're saying is that the rules should be changed. At least the disabled spaces should be protected. Couldn't something be done whereby Tescos allow the local council to police their car parks? It may require a change of legislation or only an agreement/contract between the supermarket and the local authority. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know!

If it was the local authority that policed it then the sharks wouldn't be able to get their teeth into you (not the tesco sharks anyway).

^ Scoots, my auntie lived out in the sticks, approximately 3 miles from the local small town in Lincolnshire and like you, she had various vans deliver on different days; the butcher, the greengrocer, milkman and the fishmonger.

My parents had a car and the local supermarket in S{by the way, do you realise I tried to swear here?}horpe didn't have a car park, it was across the road with no pelican crossing or pedestrian crossing. When my parents divorced, mum quite often couldn't afford the bus fare into town so we walked over two miles with her during school holidays on a Friday when she did the shopping. To ensure we didn't stray, the youngest of us wore reins (the old-fashioned 'bib' type which can still be bought) and when we were slightly older, she adopted this method: We wore mittens. The mittens had elastic on them which were sewn to the inside of our coat sleeves. We wore each others' mittens, and we couldn't get them off! This basically 'tied' us to each other.

We didn't dare misbehave but we didn't get slapped, a simple look was suffice. I remember a couple of occasions when my younger sister refused to move and we all stood for over 20 minutes until she gave in. Mum would not give into her. If we were told to stand still when about to cross the road, we did as we were told, and had the "Tufty" motto drilled into us (Far nicer than the Green X Code, IMHO).

I don't use the bays I shouldn't use at Tesco's and if I saw a parent struggling, I would offer to help.

I worry that some of the posts are along the lines of: "we didn't have it in our day so why do they need it now".

Things change, usually for the better and life progresses.

On another note, I worked with a chap who had problems with his knee (mostly due to being 10 stone over weight). He had an operation and was given a blue badge which lasted for year. He used to boast how he'd give it to his girlfriend or mum so they could use the disabled spaces in and around town (not Shetland). If thats not the worst kind of abuse of a disabled badge I don't know what is. He was so against P&T parking it used to make him spit with rage. When I pointed out the hypocrisy of his actions he refused to speak to me for ages.

Anyone else heard of anything similar?

Unlinked, the mittens made me laugh! How many of you were there?? Visions of a group of tots like a chain gang,being hauled along the road by mam on a sled, pulled by the youngest! Strange, I know. It's just how my brain works (or doesn't!).

My mam never beat us, just got a skelp on the muckle sphincter once as a bairn & never forgot. After that, there was an invisible line you didn't cross, signalled by a look or tone of voice. And I agree on Tufty over Darth Vader! Do kids get such training in schools, these days?

It's good to hear there are still folk who will help strangers struggling with a burden, whether shopping or otherwise. Restores my dwindling faith in the human condition.

One of my earliest memories is of visiting family in a town and walking for miles with our mam to either FineFare or the Co-op (can't mind which). I was three and we did walk miles, honest. And back again, with the shopping (my brothers & sister carried, I supervised :wink: ).

But everything changes and things should improve. To my mind, I'd rather my bairns didn't have to walk miles to the shops. I'd rather they were driven safely, and able to get into or out of the car easily and safely, rather than twisting & turning, while trying to avoid damaging the car of the pillock that parked 4 inches away from my car (in standard parking), thanks to the lazy ****s that took up the allocated disabled OR parent & toddler spaces, swaddled in their cocoon of utter selfishness. We all want better for our bairns, don't we? It's only natural, after all. There are many things I did or had done to me as a child that you would say "well, it did me no harm", but I remember them as being unpleasant and - in this modern age - avoidable for my bairns. So they will never have to do these things, if I can help it. And they should, hopefully, be safe in car parks - where folk DO get impatient, or are just idiots, and speed off without regard for others. I see this almost EVERY time I am in Tesco, so it DOES happen. Especially around lunch time, when all the young lads in overalls come in for their lunch in their wee tin cans, revving and speeding in a totally unsuitable environment for such antics. I just want the peace of mind that my kids are safe in such places, and these spaces help allay these fears. Until the idiots arrive and take them.

Forgive me for asking too much.

I can mind wan aald wife dat lived oot by da jubilee shu wis in her 90s and shu walked in ower ta templetons got her errands and walked back again stoppin off for a cup o tae we her daughter wha wis in her late 60s an wis still workin.

Times move on an things change but no alwis fir da better

According to this website

http://www.disabledmotoring.org/magazine/getting-to-grips-with-parking-law/

Scotland the law was changed in recent years to require all local councils to speak with landowners who provide public parking with a view to providing enforcement of parking spaces provided for disabled people. There is no obligation for the landowner to accept, but the conversation must take place. This means that, for example, if a local supermarket or hospital provides parking for people with disabilities, it would be possible for those spaces to be managed and enforced by the local authority using Statutory Powers.

Hmmmm, very interesting, MJ. Maybe needs some looking into.

Dratsy, my paternal gran also did all her own shopping by foot, well into her nineties. My maternal gran, however, had a number of health complications, which made her reliant on others for transport and to wheel her around.

Not everyone has that sort of blessing of good health. So we provide for those who don't and look after them as much as possible. Unless you're a lazy git who can't be bothered walking an extra 30, 40 feet or so from a normal parking space.

Same goes for P&T spaces. Like I said before, the clues in the name. They're provided for families, not clowns.

It might work for the disabled spaces but doubt there's any legislation regarding P&T (unfortunately).

I suggest all those in the yes camp keep filling out the suggestion cards, possibly quoting MJ's bit of legalese. Write to the buggers too!